Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: SHTF water filtration

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

SHTF water filtration

So if the case ever arrises and I'm forced to drink creek/river water, what are some decent filtration systems out there to stock up on now??
    Thanks!

Feedback Score
    Panty hose for a start.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    It's been a while since I researched this subject, but I ended up buying a Katadyn pocket filter. It was pretty expensive compared to other offerings, but much like a firearm, I figure if I ever need it, I don't want "good enough". Only knock on the pocket filter is that you'll need to install an inline charcoal filter, but they're pretty cheap. The pocket filter only purifies water with respect to organisms, but not chemicals.

There are plenty of economical filters out there, but many are made out of plastic and are susceptible to breakage. This could be a minor inconvenience while hiking, but if it's for SHTF situations, you'll want a more solid model.

FYI - REI's price is very high, look around the net and you can find one in the neighborhood of $250-$270.

http://www.rei.com/product/653573/ka...t-water-filter
    Last edited by LMT42; 09-24-11 at 19:11.

Feedback Score
    Look at the katadyn combi it is around $150 but it does 15000 gallons. They also have a syphon filter for around $50 that does 5000 gallons. Add a prescreen and it will increase the life span, panty hose works well for this.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Through decades of hiking the best water filter I have found for filtering lake, creek, river water is the Katadyn Hiker Pro filter (usded to be the pUR filter, then bought out by Katadyn). I have never gotten sick, and water always taste great. I've had to suck water out of some pretty shallow murky holes in the summer.

The Katadyn has nice long hoses for getting to hard to reach areas, can be used loose or connected to hydration bladder or water bottle.

I've stocked up a few spares for emergencies as well.

From the REI website description (http://www.rei.com/product/720265/ka...o-water-filter)
    - Includes field maintenance kit with cleanable filter protector to extend cartridge life in challenging conditions

- To clean filter protector, simply swish it in the water
    Quick-connect fittings permit easy installation and removal of input and output hoses

- Lightweight and easy-to-use design makes this filter a great choice for all-around use

- Filter physically removes particles, protozoa and bacteria down to 0.3 microns in size, including Giardia, salmonella, cryptosporidium and others

- Glass-fiber element is pleated for increased surface area to handle silt and muddy water

- Activated-carbon core adsorbs chemicals and pesticides to improve taste of water

- Pre-filter at hose inlet filters to 150 microns, removing larger contaminants before they reach the main filter to increase its life span

- Quick-connect fittings allow direct attachment to drinking tube (1/4'') of your hydration pack
    Last edited by NWPilgrim; 09-24-11 at 19:16.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Best is always to filter from clear water. Suspend clay and other debris might clog your filter quite fast. Pantyhose is a good, inexpensive prefilter.

IF you are in a real SHTF, filter the coarse debris, let it sit for a few hours, or filter*, take the clear water and apply chlorine.

* here you can use the sand filter followed by a coal filter if a proper carbon filter is unavailable.

Both chlorine and carbon are most effective in the absence of colloids and suspended clay.

Feedback Score
    21 (100%)
    For a portable filter, use a Katadyn Pocket.

These are hands down, probably the best portable water filter that you can buy and are well worth the price.

http://www.katadyn.com/usen/katadyn-...yn-pocket-usa/

I really like the Big Berkey water filters for a home or hunting camp (or in the case of serious unrest, a base camp.)

The Stainless Steel units are preferable to the plastic units.

http://www.berkeywaterfiltersystems....llons-4p16.htm

http://www.berkeywaterfiltersystems....allon-4p18.htm

If things really go bad (over the long term, if you wear a filter out or if you don't have a filter) you will probably just have to resort to boiling water. I would boil water before I would add chlorine bleach (the stuff is a pretty nasty chemical, and there is no way that I'll ingest the stuff if I have any choice in the matter.)

I can't recommend these filters enough. They are top notch in quality, and will provide you with many years of reliable service.
    Last edited by DeltaSierra; 09-24-11 at 20:25.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Tag for later
    "Intelligence is not the ability to regurgitate information. It is the ability to make sound decisions on a consistent basis "--me

"Just remember, when you are talking to the average person, you are talking to a television set"--RDJB

One Big Ass Mistake America

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by DeltaSierra View Post
    If things really go bad (over the long term, if you wear a filter out or if you don't have a filter) you will probably just have to resort to boiling water. I would boil water before I would add chlorine bleach (the stuff is a pretty nasty chemical, and there is no way that I'll ingest the stuff if I have any choice in the matter.)
    I notice some restriction to chlorine, mainly in the US.
    I don't know what is the problem with chlorine, since that is the main chemical used in water treatment here. Also aluminum hydroxide, calcium oxide.

For emergrncy water treatment, I heard iodine is also good.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Aluminum Hydroxide is a flocculant used to rpercipitate out particulate matter. The Calcium Oxide is lime used for pH adjustment to protect the plumbing.

Chlorine, usually as a gas but sometimes as a hypochloride drip, is used to sanatize almost all US public drinking water.
    My brother saw Deliverance and bought a Bow. I saw Deliverance and bought an AR-15.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast