Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: SHTF water filtration

Feedback Score
    21 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by pmarc View Post
    I notice some restriction to chlorine, mainly in the US.
    I don't know what is the problem with chlorine, since that is the main chemical used in water treatment here. Also aluminum hydroxide, calcium oxide.

For emergrncy water treatment, I heard iodine is also good.
    Well, for starters the stuff is carcinogenic....

"Cancer risk among people drinking chlorinated water is 93% higher than among those whose water does not contain chlorine."
    U.S. Council of Environmental Quality

http://www.cleanwateramerica.com/inf...utchlorine.cfm

I won't use carcinogenic chemicals, where simple techniques that have been used for thousands of years will safely take care of the original problem of waterborne disease.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by DeltaSierra View Post
    Well, for starters the stuff is carcinogenic....

"Cancer risk among people drinking chlorinated water is 93% higher than among those whose water does not contain chlorine."
    U.S. Council of Environmental Quality

http://www.cleanwateramerica.com/inf...utchlorine.cfm

I won't use carcinogenic chemicals, where simple techniques that have been used for thousands of years will safely take care of the original problem of waterborne disease.
    There in no PROOF it is a carcinogen. None, zippo, zero. And I promise you it has been heavily tested. Chlorine itself is found in your bloodstream. It is a necessary element for life. You would die without it.

That link you provided is to a place that wants to sell you alternative water treatments.

There is the possibility that Chlorine in combination with certain organic and inorganic contaminents can produce potentially carcinogenic compounds.

However, these compounds are strictly and tightly regulated under the 1974 Clean Drinking Water act to very, very, very, very low concentrations in respect to limits that are very conservative. These chemicals are also rountinely sampled and monitored for BY LAW.

Public drinking water is one of the most tested and re-tested consumer commodities you can use.

http://water.epa.gov/drink/contamina...byproducts.cfm

Read ALL of that page, not just the first part.
    Last edited by Heavy Metal; 09-24-11 at 23:07.
    My brother saw Deliverance and bought a Bow. I saw Deliverance and bought an AR-15.

Feedback Score
    21 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Heavy Metal View Post
    There in no PROOF it is a carcinogen. None, zippo, zero. And I promise you it has been heavily tested. Chlorine itself is found in your bloodstream. It is a necessary element for life. You would die without it.

That link you provided is to a place that wants to sell you alternative water treatments.

There is the possibility that Chlorine in combination with certain organic and inorganic contaminents can produce potentially carcinogenic compounds.

However, these compounds are strictly and tightly regulated under the 1974 Clean Drinking Water act to very, very, very, very low concentrations in respect to limits that are very conservative. These chemicals are also rountinely sampled and monitored for BY LAW.

Public drinking water is one of the most tested and re-tested consumer commodities you can use.

http://water.epa.gov/drink/contamina...byproducts.cfm

Read ALL of that page, not just the first part.
    So, you believe everything the .GOV says, and don't do any independent research?

If you looked into this at all, you would find that there are many doctors and other professionals that disagree with you...

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/arti...00463-0185.pdf

http://www.greensense.com/Features/A...cer_on_tap.htm

http://www.friendsofwater.com/No_Chlorine.html

http://aje.oxfordjournals.org/conten...2/148.abstract

http://www.drmercola.com/health-tips...-contaminants/

These are just some of the links I can dig up with a few minutes notice, but if I so desired, I could produce a stack of information on the subject.

I know that Dr. Robert J. Rowan has discussed this at length, as well as Dr. Joseph Mercola.
    Last edited by DeltaSierra; 09-24-11 at 23:42.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    So, you believe everything the .GOV says, and don't do any independent research?
    I believe that the EPA is stupid-strict on limits it establishes for Chronic and Acute exposure to most anything. If you are accusing the EPA of having lax standards for Public Drinking Water, you are pretty much on the opposite side of the fence from most professionals. Their standards for most limits are so strict, we are to the point in some cases of getting stuff down to parts per billion and that costs beaucoup bucks. As soon as complance is achieved in one permitting cycle, they will come along next cycle and clamp down again on already-strict limits. This is one reason your water and sewer bills go up like they do. The facilities are required to improve treatment BY LAW and that garners a rate hike to buy new equipment.

Let me ask you this: Do you understand the difference between the by-products and the Chlorine itself? Nobody is saying the Chlorine is a Carcinogen, at least anyone with a partial clue.

Chlorine is easy to get rid of. SO2 will knock it right out. Not that it matters at this point. The by-products have to be filtered out. Inasmuch as the formation of these compounds is controlled by removal by floculation and filtration of thier pre-cursors prior to exposure to the Chlorine.

I assume you have never inspected a Public Drinking Water Plant nor are you familiar with the theory and practice of their operation. I however, have inspected Drinking Water Treatment plants and do understand the whole process as well as concerns people such as yourself have and I still do not hesitate to drink it.

If you are worried about the potential for nasty, free radical forming compounds, the best thing to do is take a couple of Vitamin C tablets a day and stop worrying. It will work on alot more things than what comes in your water.

The link I gave you explains EXACTLY what the potential carcenigens are and how they are limited, that is if you bothered to read it. If you are really curious, contact your local health department and request a copy of the latest lab analysis of your town's drinking water and compare it to the limits EPA has set. See for yourself exactly what the concentrations of these chemicals are in your drinking water.
    Last edited by Heavy Metal; 09-25-11 at 00:19.
    My brother saw Deliverance and bought a Bow. I saw Deliverance and bought an AR-15.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I also have a Big Berkey which I landed up after looking at a few different water filtration systems:
    http://www.bigberkeywaterfilters.com...g-berkey-p-182

Definitely not cheap, though.
    "Eyes have been referred to as the window to the soul, we prefer to think of them as the funnel to the brain." - Mike Shertz, MD
    "Every trigger has a match trigger at the end of all the bullshit.” - Greg Hamilton

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Thank you VERY MUCH everyone!! This definitely pointed me in the right direction. Much appreciated.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Aluminum Hydroxide is a flocculant used to rpercipitate out particulate matter. The Calcium Oxide is lime used for pH adjustment to protect the plumbing.

Chlorine, usually as a gas but sometimes as a hypochloride drip, is used to sanatize almost all US public drinking water.
    Yep, I remember that since we visited a water treatment plant in the 5th or 6th grade.

The discussion the topic of chlorine ensued is amazing, and I have yet to wade through it and digest all the info.

I recall seeing iodine as an alternative chemical for water disinfection, although some people can't stand the taste.
    There is also a popular chemical sold here in Brazil for veggie cleaning that is a mix of iodine and sodium hipochloride. The brand name is Hidrosteril

Feedback Score
    59 (100%)
    I used a Sweetwater Guardian filter for 18 months of living & travel through Southeast Asia as my only water source and didn't contract any waterborne illnesses in spite of some fairly sketchy water sources. -sadly, malaria occurred anyhow, but that had nothing to do with my water

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by pmarc View Post
    Yep, I remember that since we visited a water treatment plant in the 5th or 6th grade.

The discussion the topic of chlorine ensued is amazing, and I have yet to wade through it and digest all the info.

I recall seeing iodine as an alternative chemical for water disinfection, although some people can't stand the taste.
    There is also a popular chemical sold here in Brazil for veggie cleaning that is a mix of iodine and sodium hipochloride. The brand name is Hidrosteril
    Iodine is not effective on Giardia and some people have an allergy to it in excessive quantites.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Iodine is not effective on Giardia and some people have an allergy to it in excessive quantites.
    Then, other than chlorine, the best treatment post-filtering is a 15 minute boil?

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast