Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: SHTF water filtration

Feedback Score
    I use a MSR miniworks HP filter. It's all user serviceable, and has a reasonably priced ceramic filter($40). I believe its a .2 Micron, with a .3 Micron max. The filter can also be cleaned with the included abrasive pad to help with flow problems. It screws directly onto a nalgene bottle or bottles with similar threads. I have had it five or so years and it has probably seen about 800-1000 gallons over 100+ backpacking trips. It's a little slow and requires a bit of effort, but its proven itself to me. It's also very durable, but the ceramic filter inside, like all, is not hard to damage, but when rolled up in my sleeping bag in my backpack, it did survive a fifty foot drop onto rocks below.

Important note: you MUST NOT let any ceramic filter element freeze, especially when wet, this will create tiny cracks and render your filter useless.

Edit: this is more of a fast and light travel set up.

Sent from my Eris using Tapatalk
    ‘‘Among the many misdeeds of the British rule in India, history will look upon the act of depriving a whole nation of arms, as the blackest.’’
    — Mahatma Ghandi

Feedback Score

Feedback Score

steripen

Has anyone had any experiance with the Steripen Journey Water Purifier System ( http://www.rei.com/product/784448/st...urifier-system )? I picked up a couple of these new for pretty cheap on ebay and they fit with my trying to stay light weight, mobile and using the cr123 batteries that I've tried to standardize on (eotech, flashlights, ect.).

This is my first post, the Disaster Preparation & Planning has really been an eye opener and has caused me to really take a look at things.

Thanks.

Feedback Score
    tag for later

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by pmarc View Post
    Then, other than chlorine, the best treatment post-filtering is a 15 minute boil?
    Just bringing the water to a boil should kill all pathogens.
    Last edited by Heavy Metal; 09-25-11 at 18:30.
    My brother saw Deliverance and bought a Bow. I saw Deliverance and bought an AR-15.

Feedback Score
    Boiling depends on altitude. Higher the altitude the longer you need to boil.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by zacbol View Post
    I also have a Big Berkey which I landed up after looking at a few different water filtration systems:
    http://www.bigberkeywaterfilters.com...g-berkey-p-182

Definitely not cheap, though.
    Agreed. I'm enjoying my Berkey. I originally ordered the plastic one, but it arrived with a hole in the bottom. Looked like a manufacturing defect so I had them upgrade me to the stainless model. The water tastes great and filters pretty quickly with 4 filters in it.
    (Formerly known as Red State Tactical)
    m4carbine.net Technical Support Admin

"Why buy a Raptor when a Dakota will do the same job for less?" - Internet Experts

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by billybob19606 View Post
    So if the case ever arrises and I'm forced to drink creek/river water, what are some decent filtration systems out there to stock up on now??
    Thanks!
    The biosandfilter is not very portable, but it can be made with relative ease, is cheap, and is a well proven drinking water purification technology.

http://www.biosandfilter.org/biosand...x.php/item/229

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by juliomorris View Post
    Boiling depends on altitude. Higher the altitude the longer you need to boil.
    By the time the water warms enough to boil, boils and cools to drinking temp, it will have been hot enough long enough to kill all pathogens, even at altitude.
    Last edited by Heavy Metal; 09-26-11 at 16:15.
    My brother saw Deliverance and bought a Bow. I saw Deliverance and bought an AR-15.

Feedback Score
    21 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Heavy Metal View Post
    By the time the water warms enough to boil, boils and cools to drinking temp, it will have been hot enough long enough to kill all pathogens, even at altitude.

Just to be on the safe side, I'd like to know where you got that information. My family (they lived in a part of the world where they had to boil ALL their water) has always gone by the ten minute rule for boiling water.

I never heard before that just bringing the water to a boil will kill all the little critters. If I don't have to boil the water for ten minutes, that would be very good to know though...

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast