Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: SHTF water filtration

Feedback Score
    21 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Redmanfms View Post
    Before widespread use of chemical treatment illness and death from waterborne critters was common and it's still common in the 3rd world so I have to question the efficacy of the "simple techniques that have been used for thousands of years."

Getting dysentery from sand-filtered water is no fun at all. You don't want to find that out.
    If you boil the water for ten to fifteen minutes, NOTHING can survive that can hurt you.

That is a very simple method that has worked for ever.

The issues in certain places are not caused because they do not use chemicals, but that they don't boil the water.

There is no reason to use chemicals (unless there is a certain political reason...) in drinking water.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DeltaSierra View Post

There is no reason to use chemicals (unless there is a certain political reason...) in drinking water.
    Just noticed this post.

Actually, anybody familiar with the specific heat of water knows there is in fact a very compelling reason to use chemicals for municipal water treatment. Cost. It takes a metric shit-ton of heat energy to boil water. Boiling also removes oxygen making water taste flat and unpalatable, meaning people would want the water to be re-oxygenated.

Feedback Score
    1 BTU per pound of water 1 deg F. and 970 btus to take one pound of water rom 212 F liquid to 212 deg steam. (HVAC instructor)
    Water is the standard all refrigerants are compared to because it is one of the best if not the best.
    Last edited by juliomorris; 12-07-11 at 21:39.

Feedback Score
    I switched from the hiker pro to the sawyer squeeze last year and I highly recommend it. Very sturdy, no moving parts and no filters to replace. Light, compact, and comes with a 1 MILLION gallon garentee. The squeeze is sawyers newest product but they have many different options to chose from. If your not looking to spend $150+ on a filter check these out. I picked up mine for about $55 on eBay.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    In survival school, our instructors had straws that they used that had filters etc. in them. Anyone happen to know what they are?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shoot 1st View Post
    In survival school, our instructors had straws that they used that had filters etc. in them. Anyone happen to know what they are?
    Aquamira makes one

Feedback Score
    tag for later
    Spyder

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I'm getting a Katadyn Pocket with a portion of my tax refund this year.

As far as longer term than that, panty hose/ tshirt filtering and boiling I guess.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SMETNA View Post
    Aquamira makes one
    thanks

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Heavy Metal View Post
    There in no PROOF it is a carcinogen. None, zippo, zero. And I promise you it has been heavily tested. Chlorine itself is found in your bloodstream. It is a necessary element for life. You would die without it.

That link you provided is to a place that wants to sell you alternative water treatments.

There is the possibility that Chlorine in combination with certain organic and inorganic contaminents can produce potentially carcinogenic compounds.

However, these compounds are strictly and tightly regulated under the 1974 Clean Drinking Water act to very, very, very, very low concentrations in respect to limits that are very conservative. These chemicals are also rountinely sampled and monitored for BY LAW.

Public drinking water is one of the most tested and re-tested consumer commodities you can use.

http://water.epa.gov/drink/contamina...byproducts.cfm

Read ALL of that page, not just the first part.
    I've lived in Alaska for the last 15 years. I've worked the north slope man camps mos of that time.
    All of the water up there comes from Fresh water lakes. I'v taken a nalgene bottle filled it capped it and let it set for 24 48 hours and it smells like a swimming pool. Same with the water from the Anchorage utility. Taste good, but smells like a swimming pool. I developed gout, over the years. When I quit drinking the water from the Slope and from the Anchorage utility, drinking strickly bottled and or filtered (carbon) water, I've nevr had a problem with gout. Chlorine?maybe maybe not. I dont drink the water AT ALL though.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast