Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 30-40 Krag....

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

30-40 Krag....

So i'm looking for a sporterized 1898 Krag rifle. Mainly as a nostalgic hunting rifle(and because they're cool). I'm probably going to end up buying one off gunbroker. My main concern is the bore/chamber being F'ed (since i cant inspect myself).

So what are my back up plans? Just re-barrel?

Feedback Score
    Make sure to check the bolt very closely for stress cracks
    Pretty common problem as I understand

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    I've almost talked myself out of getting a Krag. Mainly due to ammo. I could spend the same amount of money and get a 30-30 and actually find ammo for it....for less that 35 bucks a box.

But i have found an awesome Krag for 350.....decisions decisions...

Feedback Score
    Get it. Best decision I ever made was buying a sporterized Krag carbine. Just a joy to shoot.

A nice by-product is that it has been a great gun to transition new young shooters from 22LR into larger calibers. I have used it for my son as well as a bunch of nephews. Some of them like shooting the Krag even better than my Daniel Defense AR!

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Well i think i'm going to get the krag. Depending of course on the condition (found one in really nice condition for 350 that i can look over in person).

My next question is refinishing. Its already a sporterized gun, so it has no collector value (or at least not much). Would i be completely crazy to have it parkerized or duracoated?

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    I bought it...
    Last edited by J-Dub; 02-11-12 at 15:47.

Feedback Score
    Great little carbine. I regret those that I sold. Still have one, I think I'll shoot it this weekend.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by J-Dub View Post
    I bought it...

Nice. You can't go wrong with old steel. I love mine and the largest buck I've taken was floored with one shot from my Krag. It was dynamite, now since retired to an occasional range use.
    I like franks & beans

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Thanks guys. Hopefully the next time i post pics it will have a fresh cold blue job (oxpho blue) and either a new stock or a refinished stock (the one in the pic).

The barrel has some holes were the original rear sight was. Now i'm wondering if i could mount a small section of picatinny rail there and maybe an aimpoint micro. That would be a sweet scout-like setup...

Feedback Score

Here you go...

www.kraghaus.com

Let us know how it works out!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast