Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: S&W 637 vs. 642

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by OMD View Post
    If you do go hammered it absolutely must be bobbed for loose pocket carry. Yes, you will have an ND, otherwise.
    How would not bobbing the hammer cause an ND in pocket carry?

I prefer the 442/642 series - it is perfect IMHO.

If the 642 is not a double action only version you can still fire the gun in single action mode.
    You may "prefer" the 442/642 series, but apparently you've never held one in your hand.

All 442/642 series guns are DAO. The hammer is concealed in the frame. There's no way to cock it.

You will want to disable the trigger lock as well for trigger smoothness and PEACE OF MIND, justified or not, but of course, that will get you in trouble in court, but we don't really care about that after the fact.
    Do you have some information about someone being "in trouble" just for disabling the trigger lock in a carry gun?

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jake'sDad View Post
    How would not bobbing the hammer cause an ND in pocket carry?

People have! Figure it out

You may "prefer" the 442/642 series, but apparently you've never held one in your hand.

WTF is wrong with you? I have shot them for 30 years.

All 442/642 series guns are DAO. The hammer is concealed in the frame. There's no way to cock it.

Any S&W can be fire in SA mode without touching the hammer - concealed or not. There is a difference between a double action S&W and a double action only S&W. If YOU had been around them longer perhaps you would know what I am talking about - go ask someone else - really not in the mood to explain it to you.

Do you have some information about someone being "in trouble" just for disabling the trigger lock in a carry gun?
    AGAIN, you need to educate yourself on the modern problems that develop in the court room after a self-defense discharge.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by mhanna91 View Post
    ... I will be ordering the Apex kit which should bring the trigger down to 9 lbs, as well as a set of rosewood grips from http://altamontco.com/products/pisto...rame/index.php
    It's your gun, so by all means do what you want with it.

With that said, unless the trigger pull is absolutely unacceptable I'd leave the mainspring alone. I carry a J-frame because I want my carry gun to go "bang" every single time. Putting a lighter mainspring on a carry gun with a hammer of relatively low mass just doesn't make sense to me.

You got a good deal, bTW.

Feedback Score
    People have! Figure it out
    Gosh, i'm trying to. Can you help? Please...explain to me how a non bobbed hammer on a S&W J frame can cause an ND in pocket carry.

WTF is wrong with you? I have shot them for 30 years.
    Well then, you must have a large level of experience. Please, educate the rest of us.

Any S&W can be fire in SA mode without touching the hammer - concealed or not.
    There is a difference between a double action S&W and a double action only S&W.
    If YOU had been around them longer perhaps you would know what I am talking
    about - go ask someone else - really not in the mood to explain it to you.
    Oh please...please.... tell me how you can fire a 442/642 in single action mode?

When I went through the S&W armorer's course in the 80's they failed to cover that.

AGAIN, you need to educate yourself on the modern problems that develop in the court room after a self-defense discharge.
    Again, you refuse to impart your wisdom.

C'mon, how can guys like me learn?

Tell us about how folks have gotten in trouble in court for removing the trigger lock from S&W revolver for carry use.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    just be advised that getting grips based on looks dosen't always work out. i have a beautiful set of black ebony checkered secret service grips that are a pain to shoot. i'll be selling them eventually.

hogues are nice in that they are comfortable to shoot, don't interfere with a pocket or ankle draw, and do not have a screw to rust during non-winter carry.

Hogue Bantam, midwayusa.com/, $18.49

Feedback Score
    If the 642 is not a double action only version you can still fire the gun in single action mode.
    Heck, I'm still looking for the non double action only version of a 642.

Did they recently discontinue it?

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/w...layErrorView_Y

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trigger_(firearms)

Double-action
    A double-action, also known as double action only (DAO) to prevent confusion with DA/SA designs, is similar to a DA revolver trigger mechanism; however, there is no single action function. A good example of this action is the Sig Sauer DAK trigger. For semi-automatic pistols with a traditional hammer (that employ only the double action function of the trigger), the hammer will return to its decocked position after each shot. Subsequent shots require the double action trigger firing sequence. For striker-fired pistols such as the Taurus 24/7, the striker will remain in the rest position through the entire reloading cycle. This term applies mostly to semi-automatic handguns; however, the term can also apply to some revolvers such as the Smith & Wesson Centennial, the Type 26 Revolver, and the Enfield No. 2 Mk I revolvers, in which there is no external hammer spur. Glock and Kahr semi-automatic pistols are not DA (or DAO) pistols because the striker is "cocked" to an intermediate position by the operation of the slide and they cannot be re-activated by pulling the trigger a second time.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smith_%...son_Centennial

S&W Centennial is a family of 5-shot revolvers made by Smith & Wesson on the "J-Frame". Centennial's feature a fully enclosed hammer, which makes them Double Action Only (DAO) firearms. Like nearly all other "J-frame" Smith & Wesson revolvers, they have a swing-out cylinder. Smith & Wesson manufactures "Centennial" revolvers in .38 Special +P (Models 40, 442 and 642), 9mm Luger (Model 940) and .357 Magnum (Models 340 and 640). Centennial models have been made in different versions like PD "Personal Defense", LS "Lady Smith", and M&P "Military & Police"
    GET IN YOUR BUBBLE!

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    If I am not mistaken Jake'sDad is a retired LEO and I am sure he knows a thing or two about the aftermath of self defense shootings in court. I am also a LEO and I can tell you in a good shoot it does not matter that much what you used or how you modified the gun. When that stuff matters is in a bad shoot. Meaning you missed the target (badguy) and hit an innocent. People make a lot out of what can happen in court. The only time I saw a DA try to make an issue of it was when the defendant owned a lot of firearms. She looked over to me (I was the case officer sitting next to her) and asked about making a big deal about him owning an arsenal. I told her I own far more firearms than the defendant did and it would not go well to use that line of attack. I also know of another case where a preacher shot two burglars in the back as they ran away. (bad shoot) The DA tried to make a issue of the defendant upping his CCW permit from a .38 revolver to a .44 mag revolver. That argument did not fly and the defendant was aquitted. The reason he was aquitted in my opinion was people in the area were tired of the two suspects burglarizing their homes. I have never seen or heard of a case where handloads were an issue, or removing a safety feature etc.

Pat
    Serving as a LEO since 1999.
    USPSA# A56876 A Class
    Firearms Instructor
    Armorer for AR15, 1911, Glocks and Remington 870 shotguns.

Feedback Score
    Zackly....

If you remove the lock, and your five year old takes it and shoots a neighbor kid with it, you might have something to worry about. After a good shooting and you removed it to preclude it locking up when you need it? Not gonna be a problem.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mark5pt56 View Post
    S&W Centennial is a family of 5-shot revolvers made by Smith & Wesson on the "J-Frame". Centennial's feature a fully enclosed hammer, which makes them Double Action Only (DAO) firearms.
    Crap.

You mean there isn't a way to shoot it in single action?

Damn..... thought I was gonna learn something new.....

Guess I can cancel that Gunbroker search for a non DAO 642/442 now too.....

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast