Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: S&W 637 vs. 642

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Usually I don't mind a good poke at my expense, but since you're so cocksure of yourself Jack'sAss, I had a pre-1 model matte nickle stainless/aluminum 442 (before the 642 existed) that I carried for years and it was NOT DAO, I know this because I tore it down and smoothed up the frame. The hammer had a single action notch on it. Many S&W without access to the hammer were, in fact, not DAO because they still had single action notches. The fact that you can't get TO THE HAMMER doesn't mean they are DAO. When the SA notch is gone then they are DAO and usually would have a completely different sear. Otherwise, you can easily pull through the DA stroke and feel it hit the notch and wait until you feel like pulling further to complete the break.

BUT my initial reply was concerning staging/stacking any S&W DA trigger to fire as if in SA mode by trigger control BECAUSE THE OP WAS WANTING THAT ABILITY IN A DA! Nice that my intent is so wonderfully received Jack.

I believe Keith first coined the term "staging the trigger." I guess it is just a lost art on those of you who aren't into revolvers. It works just like a SA stage, but isn't cocked per se and it functions nearly as well for fine ranged shots. It is easier to feel on DAs with coil mainspring rather than leaf, but all it takes familiarity and practice with the S&W to feel where and when the DA mode is going to break.

As for the rest, I choose not to put my faith in District Attorneys...I live in California where law and logic seem to be mutually exclusive. If someone chose to carry a hammered gun in their pocket that is on them. Nor would I know if someone's pocket bug has any kind of hammer block or transfer bar mechanism. I don't assume safety. If I had to I'd at least bob it or put it in a holster that covered the trigger or not carry anything else in there - especially my keys. I you feel like laughing at caution, go for it. I don't need proof to know something is a bad idea.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by OMD View Post
    Usually I don't mind a good poke at my expense, but since you're so cocksure of yourself Jack'sAss, I had a pre-1 model matte nickle stainless/aluminum 442 (before the 642 existed) that I carried for years and it was NOT DAO, I know this because I tore it down and smoothed up the frame. The hammer had a single action notch on it. Many S&W without access to the hammer were, in fact, not DAO because they still had single action notches. The fact that you can't get TO THE HAMMER doesn't mean they are DAO. .
    You post that pile of steaming bullshit, and call me "Jack'sAss"?

Thank God for the internet, where no nothing punks like you, can sound like a tough guy without fear of having your teeth separated from your ass.

What's your handle on GT or the "other site"?

I believe Keith first coined the term "staging the trigger." I guess it is just a lost art on those of you who aren't into revolvers. It works just like a SA stage, but isn't cocked per se and it functions nearly as well for fine ranged shots. It is easier to feel on DAs with coil mainspring rather than leaf, but all it takes familiarity and practice with the S&W to feel where and when the DA mode is going to break.
    Wow, staging a double action trigger?

What an amazing concept!!

I wish I had known about that when I was winning PPC matches in the 1970's......

As for the rest, I choose not to put my faith in District Attorneys...I live in California where law and logic seem to be mutually exclusive. If someone chose to carry a hammered gun in their pocket that is on them. Nor would I know if someone's pocket bug has any kind of hammer block or transfer bar mechanism. I don't assume safety. If I had to I'd at least bob it or put it in a holster that covered the trigger or not carry anything else in there - especially my keys. I you feel like laughing at caution, go for it. I don't need proof to know something is a bad idea.
    You really have no idea how S&W's work do you?

An S&W J frame can't fire unless the trigger is pulled to the rear, regardless of what catches the unbobbed hammer.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Usually I don't mind a good poke at my expense, but since you're so cocksure of yourself Jack'sAss, I had a pre-1 model matte nickle stainless/aluminum 442 (before the 642 existed) that I carried for years and it was NOT DAO, I know this because I tore it down and smoothed up the frame. The hammer had a single action notch on it. Many S&W without access to the hammer were, in fact, not DAO because they still had single action notches. The fact that you can't get TO THE HAMMER doesn't mean they are DAO. When the SA notch is gone then they are DAO and usually would have a completely different sear. Otherwise, you can easily pull through the DA stroke and feel it hit the notch and wait until you feel like pulling further to complete the break.

BUT my initial reply was concerning staging/stacking any S&W DA trigger to fire as if in SA mode by trigger control BECAUSE THE OP WAS WANTING THAT ABILITY IN A DA! Nice that my intent is so wonderfully received Jack.

Its obvious you posted something that was incorrect. Just own up to it and move on. Its much better than digging a deeper hole trying to cover yourself. Staging a DA trigger is no single action nor is the 442 or 642 or any revolver where the hammer is covered and you can not physically cock it.
    Pat
    Serving as a LEO since 1999.
    USPSA# A56876 A Class
    Firearms Instructor
    Armorer for AR15, 1911, Glocks and Remington 870 shotguns.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Ok, I'm heading out for the day, let's all settle down here.

It's also know as camming, it was taught here and there, but generally in self defense arena's not a very useful method of manipulating the trigger. Is it possible that long ago, SW only had DA/SA lock work and that's what went into the initial enclosed models? Under stress, you are more than likely pulling through that stage of the pull and firing the shot. Learning how to correctly work a DAO or a DA through it's cycle and not influence the gun is more important than taking the time to perfect what I feel is a target or maybe hunting practice. I could be well into my second shot by the time another shooter has slowed down to be able to "cam" his shot to be "more accurate" Not sure what they have in the revolver arsenal now, but NYPD once bobbed the hammers and ground off the single action notch in the day. Not that they are the clearing house on all things, but I would call that a clue-an I'm not a detective.

Sun's coming up and you're on two feet so let's have a great day here
    GET IN YOUR BUBBLE!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mark5pt56 View Post
    Not sure what they have in the revolver arsenal now, but NYPD once bobbed the hammers and ground off the single action notch in the day. Not that they are the clearing house on all things, but I would call that a clue-an I'm not a detective.
    LAPD mandated DAO on their revolvers as well. Mainly to curb the "hey, stop, I'm really serious", cocking of guns, which sometimes led to the "shit, didn't mean to actually shoot that guy, guess I better write a really good report" incidents.

Guys like Jack Weaver and Eldon Carl could make double action hits out to 100 yards and further, faster that most could today with a 1911 and 3 lb trigger, and would do so to demonstrate the accuracy potential of DA to academy classes. Staging the trigger was the way it was done for those kind of shots, but unless you put a bunch of rounds downrange, shooting PPC, etc., you're right, the transition was hard to make under stress.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    From the pictures I've seen of Jack Weaver's grip it was the same(?) / similar to Jerry Miculek's J-Frame grip in the sixth panel of this web page:

PRO TIPS with JERRY MICULEK, Revolver Grip, shootingusa.com/

Feedback Score
    I believe you're correct.

Here's Jack in his prime.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by f.2 View Post
    just be advised that getting grips based on looks dosen't always work out. i have a beautiful set of black ebony checkered secret service grips that are a pain to shoot. i'll be selling them eventually.

hogues are nice in that they are comfortable to shoot, don't interfere with a pocket or ankle draw, and do not have a screw to rust during non-winter carry.

Hogue Bantam, midwayusa.com/, $18.49
    Thanks for the advice. Maybe I will re-think the wood grips idea. I now have this gun in my hands and I love the size and weight of it. It seems to be in very nice shape. When I got it had not been cleaned, and I looked at the bore and thought to myself, "Man! That rifling is fouled like crazy.". Then I took it home and cleaned it. The bore is very shiny now, but the reason I thought it was fouled was because the rifling in this barrel is extremely shallow. I'll try to get some good pictures of it worth posting, but until then, is this normal? I googled S&W 642 rifling and found two threads on other sites about guys buying brand new 642s and, after the fact, noticing that the crown of their barrel is horrible. For example, one was so bad that there were only 3 out of 6 rifling cuts visible in the crown, and the rifling was cut much deeper in that corresponding hemisphere of the barrel and was non existent in the opposite. Scary stuff there. The other one also complained about the "stippled" laser-etching S&W does now instead of stamping the identification numbers. His looked like a 2nd grader did it with a Dremel tool. Anyways, I don't think mine is that bad, but I'll get some pics up if ya'll would be so kind as to let me know if what I have is acceptable from S&W.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Here are the best pictures I could get with the macro mode on my 4 year old camera, sorry they're not the best but...

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    And by the way, here is the gun. I know if you've seen one you've seen em' all but there she is.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast