Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: single point sling

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shihan View Post
    This qoute from Kevin B
    "Watching LAV run the sling - showed me I had missed a bit, and while I liked it before -- I love it now"

Is what prompted the video tutorial response from me.
    Is this somewhere on the 'net?
    "The very purpose of a Bill of Rights was to withdraw certain subjects from the vicissitudes of political controversy, to place them beyond the reach of majorities and officials and to establish them as legal principles to be applied by the courts." Justice Robert Jackson, WV St. Board of Education v. Barnette, 319 U.S. 624 (1943)

"I don’t care how many pull ups and sit ups you can do. I care that you can move yourself across the ground with a fighting load and engage the enemy." Max Velocity

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I will try to get some pics up of the sling and how to run it (from how I use it) - but realistically it won't likely happen for a few days

The VTAC has been removed from my guns -- the tail gets caught in too much stuff.

more to follow
    Kevin S. Boland
    Manager, Federal Sales
    FN America, LLC
    Office: 703.288.3500 x181 | Mobile: 407-451-4544 | Fax: 703.288.4505
    www.fnhusa.com

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Regarding the Vickers 2 point, I mount mine to the receiver end plate and on the handguard rail next to the barrel nut.

I found that rather then using the quick adjust slider it was much faster and easier to use the sling if I wear it so it only goes around my neck. With a properly adjusted sling, wearing it around my neck allows me to switch sides without having mess with the slider.

If I will be going hands free for an extended time I can slide my support arm through the sling loop and wear it normally.

Basically, I found that with a properly adjusted 2 point sling the quick adjust slider is really not necessary.

I look forward to seeing Kevin's pics. Maybe I'm missing something about how to best run a gun with the Vickers sling.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
    Is this somewhere on the 'net?

Read 2 posts up of mine

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    I personally put very little emphasis on the ability to transition the weapon to the weak side in the selection of slings. Some people have the money and time to train their weak side to the equivalent of their strong side. I really don't, so I spend my time training my strong side to be even stronger or gain new proficiencies.

I think that wearing the sling around the neck is a really bad idea. My need to transition to the weak side is far less than my need to keep my airway open, circulatory system free, and my spine unbroken. I also push the weapon to the weak side during a transition to pistol. When moving rapidly I would prefer that it stay there instead of negatively interfacing with my balls. But that's just me.

I cut the tail of my VTAC at the largetst extension I would need and knotted it. The only time I really cinch it down is for transport, though I have used it as a traditional support sling for a little test.

The only "tactical two point" I have actually used is the VTAC. I have done the "550 cord and parade sling" sling, and have handled the BFG sling. I didn't dislike the BFG sling, I just didn't need it at the time. However, if there is something unique to the BFG that LAV intentionally put there I am really interested. Is KevinB the only one that has been exposed to this knowledge?
    Jack Leuba
    Director of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company
    jleuba@knightarmco.com

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Failure2Stop View Post

I think that wearing the sling around the neck is a really bad idea. My need to transition to the weak side is far less than my need to keep my airway open, circulatory system free, and my spine unbroken. I also push the weapon to the weak side during a transition to pistol. When moving rapidly I would prefer that it stay there instead of negatively interfacing with my balls. But that's just me.
    Interesting thoughts on wearing the sling around the neck. Have there been a lot reports of injuries and of people getting choked out or their spine broken due to running the sling this way.

No, I'm not trying to be a smart ass, I really do want to know the chances of getting injured from wearing a sling around the neck.

I basically wear my Vickers sling like these guys.

So far I have not experienced any issues due to running the sling in this fashion. Regardless, I'm open to using a better method if the one I'm using has really proven to be a bad thing.

I have had a guy I trained with try to choke me with the sling and all I did was duck my head through the sling and give him hard shove away and then transitioned to my pistol while he was standing there holding my carbine by the sling. I'm not any sort of CQB expert but it's not that hard to avoid those type of attacks with a few simple techniques. In fact I think it would have been harder for me to react to the choke if I was wearing the sling in normal fashion.

In all honesty if I got into a weapon retention scuffle with a long gun I would probably be working to keep the muzzle pointed in safe direction first and then go for my knife and do a sewing machine imitation as soon I had the chance.

If I have to transition with the sling on I just slide my support side arm through the loop so my carbine will not be in the way and continue on with my normal drawstroke.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Failure2Stop View Post
    Is KevinB the only one that has been exposed to this knowledge?
    Nope.

LAV has explained the rationale behind his sling to lots of folks, mainly because somebody in practically every long gun class asks him about it.

The standard buckles are meant to be used to adjust the sling to where you want it 99% of the time with the quick adjust section being left fully tightened.

Then if you need to switch shoulders or switch the weapon into the support side to continue to use the white light or do something similar you can easily run the quick adjust tab out to allow you to perform that task.

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    Yojimbo-
    I am not implying that you are an idiot for your choice in how you use a sling, or that you are going to die because of it, I assume that it works for you in the capacity that you employ it. I have not heard of anyone being injured/killed due to the wear of their sling, though it may be because very few people use it that way. I do use it that way to transition to the weak side, my old sling did not have enough adjust to permit the transition, so I would just sweep my left arm around the sling.

I just view it as a potential issue, so I don't do it.

I couldn't see your picture, so I am not sure exactly what you are referencing. However, usually with the sling around the neck the weapon lies straight up and down on the centerline of the body. This is not terribly good when moving and shooting the secondary at anything but a slow walk. This is why I force the carbine fully to the left side during the pistol draw.

Still, the way I use my sling is the way I use my sling. A way, not THE way. I wasn't so much bashing your method as more or less explaining why I don't do it that way.

"The sewing machine impression"- classic!

John_Wayne777-

I thought that KevinB was making reference to something more. If that is all, thanks for the info. I assumed that was the intended mounting procedure, and it is indeed good to go.

I need to pick up one of these slings and the one from Gear Sector. They both seem like quality 2-points, and I can always use 'em anyway.
    Last edited by Failure2Stop; 11-15-07 at 15:27. Reason: clarity
    Jack Leuba
    Director of Sales
    jleuba@knightarmco.com

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    LAV just showed some ways to make the transition smooth in gear -- which had been an issue before for me while jocked up in my fighting and dying kit.

I got choked nearly out in a 3pt rig about 15 years ago and learned a long time ago the value of easy off - and not to give an opponent that option.

Due to the way the VTAC adjusts I find it hard to use in gear - and when I do the fricken tail gets stuck someplace I dont want it.
    Thus for me its not an option -- however mission drives the gear and it may work for some.
    Kevin S. Boland
    Manager, Federal Sales
    FN America, LLC
    Office: 703.288.3500 x181 | Mobile: 407-451-4544 | Fax: 703.288.4505
    www.fnhusa.com

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by KevinB View Post
    LAV just showed some ways to make the transition smooth in gear -- which had been an issue before for me while jocked up in my fighting and dying kit.
    Interested and willing to wait the day or two if you don't mind sharing.

I am always open to potential improvements.
    Last edited by Failure2Stop; 11-15-07 at 16:41. Reason: I like to add things after I see my post. It's a disorder, I know.
    Jack Leuba
    Director of Sales
    jleuba@knightarmco.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12