Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Modern Top Break Revolvers?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    As to top break revolvers, S & W had a modern, limited run quite a while ago and they sold out quickly. I would not use one for self defense. The cowboy guns are not suitable for my needs either, but they are fun.

The fastest speed loader around is Jerry Miculek with his moon clipped S & W. I have not found a practical way to carry moon clips concealed. Most belt holders are designed for competition and are very bulky.

Quote Originally Posted by Fail-Safe View Post
    .............To reload I have to break my firing grip..........Lets discuss.
    I don't see that you have a problem at all. Unless you are truly ambidextrous, you will have faster reloads manipulating the rounds with the strong hand VS the support hand. You have to "break" your grip.

Maintaining a firing grip is a moot point on a revolver with the cylinder swung open. It can't fire. Here is a good video showing the evolution of revolver speed loads. At 4:44 there is a good demo of left handed reloads on "right handed" revolvers. It may actually work well for you since the work space is right in front of you on your dominant side.

Speed strips are a little different since you will be more than likely "topping off" a few rounds when you can grab cover, rather than a full reload. They require more dexterity to use than a speed loader in my opinion.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=oXUwI_d8JlA
    Last edited by DWood; 10-01-11 at 08:53.
    Go in peace, but be prepared for violence.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    NAA has the new Ranger top break in .22 magnum and Charter Arms makes a left handed version of their 5 shot .38 small frame. I used to have a British Webley MkIV in .380 British (.38 S&W). That was a fun revolver to shoot.

CD
    De Oppresso Liber

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Like 1911's, I 'think' it would be odd for me to deal with even a true reverse foot print of the modern wheel gun being a lefty...much less trying to learn new memory with a top break.

Just glad I'm right eye'd at this point.
    "You cannot invade the mainland United States. There would be a rifle behind each blade of grass."
    Japanese Admiral Yamamoto, 1941

"A wise man's heart directs him toward the right, but a foolish man's heart directs him toward the left."
    Ecclesiastes 10:2:

Feedback Score
    The swing-out revolver is inherently stronger (for the same weight), and with practice you can reload it very fast. If you want, you can reload either with strong or weak hand. I doubt that Jerry Miculek would be faster with a top break revolver, he even uses the "dated" technique... (like myself)

In any case, the semiauto will always be faster to reload and will hold more bullets. I think there is not much experimentation with combat revolvers (as a main handgun) for the same reason there is not current development of electric typewriters: there is something better to use

Feedback Score
    While I like the idea of a modern top break revolver and would probably buy one as a novelty I don't see it as a "game changer". And probably not even economically viable. But then again the same thing could have been said about the Taurus Judge and they apparently have been successful (from a sales side, I'm not endorsing the concept). With the right design it might be ok.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by TiroFijo View Post
    In any case, the semiauto will always be faster to reload and will hold more bullets. I think there is not much experimentation with combat revolvers (as a main handgun) for the same reason there is not current development of electric typewriters: there is something better to use
    Though, I stand by my belief that in really small handguns, and really large (high power) ones, a revolver is the way to go.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by skyugo View Post
    Though, I stand by my belief that in really small handguns, and really large (high power) ones, a revolver is the way to go.
    Yes, and that's why I said "combat revolvers as a main handgun".

Small revolvers as backup, sure... I'm not fan of small guns for defense, but can see the use of J-frames for this. And yes, if you have nothing else this small gun is your primary handgun, but I would prefer not to rely on it for this role.

The big revolvers (N-frame, redhawk, etc.) IMO are not really combat guns but more suited for hunting or defense against large animals. I completely agree they are the best host for calibers such as 44 mag and up.

Make no mistake, I still like my revolvers

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Even if Izmesh would have made it we still couldnt have bought them

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12