Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Interest in a SoFla training class with SDI Tactical (SimplyDynamic)

Feedback Score

Interest in a SoFla training class with SDI Tactical (SimplyDynamic)

I spoke with Travis this past weekend and he will be in central Florida in late March 2008.

He is open to doing an additional weekend class in south Florida before/after that class

I suggested a rifle class with some handgun worked into it.

What do you guys think? Who is receptive to that?

EDIT:

Here it is

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=10579

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Where? I am in Broward along with Rob_S and we have a crew of shooters that take classes. Let me know.
    Colt AR-15/M-16 Armorer, GLock Armorer, HK USP Armorer
    Firearms Instructor

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jackinfl View Post
    Where? I am in Broward along with Rob_S and we have a crew of shooters that take classes. Let me know.
    There has been a lot of interest in the south FL area. As posted we will be in Southeren Exposure in March for a Mindset Handgun course (which sold out in one day) We are looking into Homstead, Markum, or even up in Orlando...not sure yet still trying to get a feel...so shooters let me know.
    TRAVIS HALEY
    Founder | CEO
    Haley Strategic Partners, LLC.
    http://haleystrategic.com/

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I will be at the Handgun Mindset class in Lakeland. I'd be up for a carbine down here as well. Random thoughts follow....

Markham is very limited/limiting. They do have a 50 yard long x 75+/- wide "police" range, but it would only be available if no other agencies or clubs had it reserved that day. I believe that on weekends it's pretty well booked up. The limitations of the size should be apparent.

Homestead is a haul for me personally, and I know it would be for Jack as well. Not that attendance by Jack or I is key to the class, I'm just saying. 1.5 hours each way and I may as well be in Lakeland, or stay in the keys and drive UP to the class, haha. There is a group on TOS that shoots down there quite a bit and takes classes from Nelson (unsure of the name of his company), so it may well be possible for ya'll to do a class down there.

Generally speaking South Florida has issues re: training locations. There is a private range out off of 27, but the owner is too flakey for anyone to try to nail her down on dates in the long term. This is why so many of us wind up making the trek to Southern Exposure in Lakeland. Believe me when I say, I would love to be able to go to training all day long and still sleep in my own bed at night.

ETA:
    After some further thought, here's what would be ideal for me (hey, you asked right?)

I'd like to see a two-day carbine on the Saturday and Sunday following the Lakeland class. We could do it at the Homestead range, and this way those of us that are a little further north would only need to find accommodations for one, maybe two, nights. This also wouldn't require any time off from work. I would like to see limited inclusion of the handgun with a brief review of transitions. I'd like to see it be an intermediate to advanced class with pre-requisites of at least two prior carbine classes with approved instructors and with the requirement that people show up with carbines zeroed appropriately. This way we can concentrate on shooting instead of spending the usual 1/2 day spent on zeroing. I'd like to see a focus on <50 yards, reloads (speed & tac), malfunction clearing, etc. Ideally I'd like to see the class start a little late on TD1 (say 10 AM or so) so that we can go a little late and have a night shoot and work on proper use of a white light on the carbine and the various shortcomings of various mounting solutions and how to work around them. I would envision something like 1k rounds in the two days.

That's my ideal setup. I have no idea if it works with the range schedule, SDI's schedule, SDI's financial requirements, etc.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    Generally speaking South Florida has issues re: training locations. There is a private range out off of 27, but the owner is too flakey for anyone to try to nail her down on dates in the long term. This is why so many of us wind up making the trek to Southern Exposure in Lakeland. Believe me when I say, I would love to be able to go to training all day long and still sleep in my own bed at night.

Actually I have the Private Range reserved for a PD class in 2 weeks. She is coming around. I will look in to the details.

SDI, e-mail inbound.
    Colt AR-15/M-16 Armorer, GLock Armorer, HK USP Armorer
    Firearms Instructor

Feedback Score

ETA:
    After some further thought, here's what would be ideal for me (hey, you asked right?)

I'd like to see a two-day carbine on the Saturday and Sunday following the Lakeland class. We could do it at the Homestead range, and this way those of us that are a little further north would only need to find accommodations for one, maybe two, nights. This also wouldn't require any time off from work. I would like to see limited inclusion of the handgun with a brief review of transitions. I'd like to see it be an intermediate to advanced class with pre-requisites of at least two prior carbine classes with approved instructors and with the requirement that people show up with carbines zeroed appropriately. This way we can concentrate on shooting instead of spending the usual 1/2 day spent on zeroing. I'd like to see a focus on <50 yards, reloads (speed & tac), malfunction clearing, etc. Ideally I'd like to see the class start a little late on TD1 (say 10 AM or so) so that we can go a little late and have a night shoot and work on proper use of a white light on the carbine and the various shortcomings of various mounting solutions and how to work around them. I would envision something like 1k rounds in the two days.

That's my ideal setup. I have no idea if it works with the range schedule, SDI's schedule, SDI's financial requirements, etc.

This is just the thing Travis and I had spoken about (including the timing and location (Henry's down in Homestead).

I had taken a rifle course and we started at 8am and finished up around 9pm, shooting 'in the dark', on day 1. The instructor/owner is a Federal agent (DHS, pilot) and had also brought along some NV and one of those IR flashlights and we got to shoot with that as well as tracer rounds, kinda extra credit type stuff .

Day 2 started at 8am as well and we ran until ~5pm.

We fired ~600rnds, rifle and ~100rnds pistol that weekend.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Orlando would be my vote...

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by danpass View Post
    also brought along some NV and one of those IR flashlights and we got to shoot with that as well as tracer rounds, kinda extra credit type stuff .
    I would prefer to skip this kind of stuff, frankly. I have seen pictures of some of those classes and would rather avoid the "fluff" as I see it (i.e. setting off smoke grenades to.... well I don't know why ). JMHO

What I'm looking for, and again this is just me, is a fast-paced mid-level class with civilian (LE and non) level employment of the carbine as a fighting tool.

What I'm envisioning is kind of a "Pat Rogers Part II" class, for lack of a better name. Taking all the things that we go over in one of Pat's 3-day classes, turning it up a notch, and putting the SDI spin on it. Having not trained with SDI yet I don't know what that spin might be, but I'm sure it will be good.

Obviously, or perhaps not so obviously, I would likely try to attend whatever the class was regardless of format as long as it was a 2-day.

Would prefer Pop's to Henry's if the scheduling was deemed to be reliable.

Feedback Score
    I would prefer to skip this kind of stuff, frankly. I have seen pictures of some of those classes and would rather avoid the "fluff" as I see it (i.e. setting off smoke grenades to.... well I don't know why ). JMHO

I understand but it was after the 'official' class session

What I'm looking for, and again this is just me, is a fast-paced mid-level class with civilian (LE and non) level employment of the carbine as a fighting tool.

That's just what I am looking for as well

What I'm envisioning is kind of a "Pat Rogers Part II" class, for lack of a better name. Taking all the things that we go over in one of Pat's 3-day classes, turning it up a notch, and putting the SDI spin on it. Having not trained with SDI yet I don't know what that spin might be, but I'm sure it will be good.

Obviously, or perhaps not so obviously, I would likely try to attend whatever the class was regardless of format as long as it was a 2-day.

Would prefer Pop's to Henry's if the scheduling was deemed to be reliable.

I've never been to Pop's. Travis is familiar with Henry's and has had some contact with him. I do feel the Henry's is a bit tight lengthwise. You can fit 12 shooters on the line though.

Another certainty about Henry's is that you can 'run what you brung';

"Firing a SAW from the hip? Sure, just let me get my camera" ...........

"tripod mounted, full auto 1919? Sure, no problem, more brass to trade in" ..........

"chaingun practice from a mockup of a Space Shuttle door? Absolutely, I'll need my video camera for that" ..........

and so on

Feedback Score
    Hey Travis! Good to see things are picking up momentum in the Ol' Home State for you.

Rob, I actually called Travis way back and got him hooked up with Irv, since all the classes with the "M4C known and vetted instructors were booked at the time. I figured why not? It may be worth a try, and lo and behold, the Mindset Handgun class at SE is a go! I just gave Travis your TSSA email and told him you and Mr. Z are the guys to talk to about "all things Carbine" down here.

I just came back from a different class in Orlando at the CFRPC, and the facility and logistics were good. That may be an alternate venue in the Orlando area.

Travis, please count me in for any classes in FL, I have a lot of catching up to do training wise. And let me know if I can help with anything.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast