Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Back up light for your kit???

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by NCPatrolAR View Post
    Ultimately you want to have alight on your pistol in additon to a handheld light.
    I have to heartily second that suggestion if for no other reason than the light mounted on the handgun will always be there. Even if you drop a handheld light and your carbine light pukes on you there's still one mounted on your weapon that will likely still be working.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by John_Wayne777 View Post
    I have to heartily second that suggestion if for no other reason than the light mounted on the handgun will always be there. Even if you drop a handheld light and your carbine light pukes on you there's still one mounted on your weapon that will likely still be working.
    Another aspect to look at is the running of the light with an injured limb. Having the mounted light givens you the option of providing illumination even with a single functioning arm.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I've thought of adding an open-top light carrier to the strong side of my chest rig (there I go, cluttering it up again!) such that it could, in theory, be drawn at the same time as the pistol when performing a transition.

Anyone know of a kydex open-top that attaches to molle and holds the light bezel-down? I'd like to spring for one to give it a try.

re: light on the handgun, for me it's unlikely to happen. I work everything I do with the carbine around the assumption that I'm either CCW with the handgun in a VMII or that I have no handgun at all. This means no drop holsters, no mounted lights, etc. That's what fits MY situation, YMMV.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    Anyone know of a kydex open-top that attaches to molle and holds the light bezel-down? I'd like to spring for one to give it a try.
    YOu could try modding one of the Surefire holsters to do this. I've found thier holsters ot be the best out there for retaining lights.

re: light on the handgun, for me it's unlikely to happen. I work everything I do with the carbine around the assumption that I'm either CCW with the handgun in a VMII or that I have no handgun at all. This means no drop holsters, no mounted lights, etc. That's what fits MY situation, YMMV.
    I'd switch holsters. I'm now running one of the Raven holsters for a full size M&P with attached TLR-1 and it is one of the most comfortable holsters I've worn.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by NCPatrolAR View Post
    I'd switch holsters. I'm now running one of the Raven holsters for a full size M&P with attached TLR-1 and it is one of the most comfortable holsters I've worn.
    That's not going to happen anytime soon. A 5" 1911 in a VMII is about the only holster I can wear all day long. I'm not messing with perfection.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

Feedback Score
    But Rob,

The MOLLE straps on your Chest Rig run horizontal, as does the belt clip on this light holder. You'd have to mount the light at a 90 degree angle to get this to work wouldn't you?

Do you feel you need a "Speed Holster" for you application, or would a simple MOLLE Light pouch with a flap work on your M4 Chest Rig?. I looked at Eagle for you in the MOLLE Pouch section and couldn't find one there.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by toddackerman View Post
    But Rob,

The MOLLE straps on your Chest Rig run horizontal, as does the belt clip on this light holder. You'd have to mount the light at a 90 degree angle to get this to work wouldn't you?

Do you feel you need a "Speed Holster" for you application, or would a simple MOLLE Light pouch with a flap work on your M4 Chest Rig?. I looked at Eagle for you in the MOLLE Pouch section and couldn't find one there.
    The molle straps from Blade-Tech replace that clip and should be able to be run vertical. I emailed them for clarification.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    The molle straps from Blade-Tech replace that clip and should be able to be run vertical. I emailed them for clarification.
    Roger that.

I have loved Blade Tech products for over 15 years. Truly a great and innovative company to deal with.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Rob,

I was gonna suggest the new Blade-tech Molle strips when I read your post, but it looks like you already found them. I'd like to know how they work out for you, casue I may be interested in doing similar.

Todd,

I have a Surefire L2 , a dual ouput LED with about 15lumens in low and 100lumens in high. I got it when I was with the Sheriff's Dept to use for building clearing and vehicle searches. At 15lumens I found it good for looking through cars and searching and has a rated 18hour battery life, and then just depress the button harder and it goes to the 100lumen for really lighting up something or someone with a rated runtime of an hour. It's realitively thin and light and I find at high it throws pretty well. I got mine from Brightflashlights over on TOS for about $125 and had very fast delivery. You may want to check it out for a handheld. I also ran/run a G2 for back-up (as two is one and one is none and all) with either a P61 lamp or converted to 9V and a P90 or P91 lamp.

Good luck in your search!

-RD62

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast