Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Range report: SPS & Premier

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Range report: SPS & Premier

I was able to get to the range this weekend to do some shooting and get familiar with my new optic, the Premier light tactical 3-15x50. This is my first high end scope so I don't have much to base it against. The glass is very good, the tracking is accurate and i really like the way the controls are laid out.

Rifle is a sps-v cut to 20" and restocked with a McMillan A3.

Shooting was done with sandbags under the front of the rifle and using my support hand as a rear rest (I need a rear bag). Range was 100yds, no wind.

I zeroed the scope on the shoot n see target, shot a couple rounds into the outside diamonds to confirm the zero and then moved onto the .5" dots. I was not shooting for groups, its kind of boring compared to shooting the dots. This was my first time trying one of these dot drill type targets.

As you can see i wasn't hitting the dots dead on for the most part. Unstable rear rest and barrel heat I think, obviously combined with my lack of skill.

Zero target:

1st dot target (didnt shoot all 20). I was doing pretty well for the first 6 then i think the barrel started warming up and opening up.

2nd dot target:

The setup used:

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    What kind of ammo were you using?
    C co 1/30th Infantry Regiment
    3rd Brigade 3rd Infantry Division
    2002-2006
    OIF 1 and 3

IraqGunz:
    No dude is going to get shot in the chest at 300 yards and look down and say "What is that, a 3 MOA group?"

Feedback Score
    52 (100%)
    How do you like the optic?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I was using Federal gmm 168gr.

The scope is great, like i said this is my first high end scope so theres not much for me to base it off. The glass is super clear. The one thing I like especially is how forgiving the eye relief is. Your head doesnt have to be in perfect alignment with the ocular to get a clear sight picture. And at 26oz its light enough where i can still use my rifle for field shooting and hunting.

A hide member reviewed some scopes in that price range including the light tactical over on his own site.

http://opticsthoughts.com/index.php?...views&Itemid=4

If anyone has any input, most of the shots on the second target impacted between .5-1" left of POA. All I can think of is barrel heat.

Feedback Score
    52 (100%)
    Thanks for the link, that guy has some great reviews.

As far as your POI shift maybe you could provide some more details. Was the barrel really hot for the last half of your shooting? Could shooter fatigue have been a factor? Also, I don't mean to be insulting, but could parralax or head position have shifted?

Feedback Score
    41 (98%)
    Parallax and position was going to be my answer. Even though you can get a clear sight picture not being perfectly lined up each time you still want the same head position. Do you know how to test for parallax?

It might help if you shoot for groups.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Parallax could definitely be an issue. I've read that to test for it you move your head and if the target seems to "bounce" then there is parallax. I was trying to remain as centered as possible behind the scope but it could be an issue. More practice is definitely in order.

As far as barrel heat goes, it wasn't AR hot but you could say it was uncomfortable to the touch. Targets were shot in 15-20 minutes with maybe 10 mins as downtime during the cease fire. Total round count for the session was 70 rounds in about 2 hours.

I just wish the closest 100/200yd range wasn't an hour away.
    Last edited by marco.g; 10-02-11 at 10:47.

Feedback Score
    41 (98%)
    I set the rifle in the rest with the cross hair centered on the target, and then move your head around. If the reticle moves off where you set it relative to the target you have parallax. Of course once you get the gun up don't touch it. You basically gotta hang your head over the rifle behind the scope not touching the gun at all. If the reticle stays where you set it no matter your eye position then you don't have parallax or at least not any that you can see. If the reticle moves on the target when you move your eye you have parallax issues.

If you don't have any parallax adjustment on your scope most of them are set for a fixed distance of either 100Y or 100M.

Feedback Score
    Almost all your shots missed low and right, could be something your doing but if your holding dead center poa and continuously hitting low and right poi, couldn't hurt to just adjust your scope a few clicks .
    Last edited by anthony1; 10-07-11 at 03:39.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Yup i had noticed that, and next time around ill keep that in mind and compare it to my cold bore shot.

The shots were all around .1 mil low and .2 mils left.

ETA: The dot targets were not aligned landscape when i was shooting them, thats just how I took the pictures.
    Last edited by marco.g; 10-07-11 at 08:17. Reason: clarification

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast