Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112

Thread: S&W 442 or other J-frame as sole self-defense weapon.

Feedback Score
    [QUOTE=Doc Glockster;2019608]I'm all for minimalism, but I hear "twenty-two" for a self-defense handgun and I am automatically reminded that it's not about making kill shots, but about "stopping the action". Unless I've missed something over the years, twenty-two won't knock a perp flat on his ass no matter what loading we're talking about.

Neither will a .44 magnum. IMHO there is way too much attention paid to caliber of a personal defense handgun. As Ken Hackathorn has often told me, "no reasonable handgun round is a death ray." Think of the real estate rule, only modify it to fit shooting. Placement, placement, placement. Think of the elephant hunters rule. Penetration, penetration, penetration.
    Elephant hunters use a relatively tiny cartridge to kill 8000 pound animals.

Do you know of people who hate you enough to keep on coming when shot? Cops and military might, but that is rare with civilians. Then if drugs are involved, only a CNS hit counts with any handgun caliber. This is the primary limitation of the .22, as it may not have much effect if it does adequately penetrate. The Mossad felt it was adequate when used in their Beretta Jaguars for airline security and assassination though.

People are not poorly armed if they have a .22. They are poorly armed with a larger caliber if they can't hit with it or don't carry it most of the time.
    Dave

INNOVATION IS SELDOM ACCOMPLISHED WITHOUT CONTROVERSY.
    My first rule of a gunfight, thanks to John Farnam's wise advice. "Get away from there!"

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I wouldn't want to go up against an expert shooter with an 8 shot .22 J Frame that could put 2 head shots in me in less than a second.
    A vest will defeat most pistol rounds and most guys are going to shoot for CM right into the vest. How about a Guy that's only going for close range head shots with the .22.
    Jim Brady would tell you that usually doesn't end well.
    It's also a huge tactical advantage IMO to front pocket carry a J Frame for CCW type defensive situations. I can have my hand on my gun before the other Guy can even start to peel back his cover garment.
    J Frames aren't sexy or glamorous and are considered too old school, but they still work better than anything else in some roles IMHO.
    Last edited by johnnywitt; 11-11-14 at 20:21.

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112