Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: S&W 442 or other J-frame as sole self-defense weapon.

Feedback Score
    A J frame will loosen up with a few thousand rounds. A little endshake, etc. Nothing that a good Smith can't tighten up.

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    My advise to someone packing an S&W 442 or other J-frame as sole self-defense weapon is have two of them. A speed-loader is not much smaller than a New York reload and a whole lot slower.

Feedback Score
    24 (100%)
    I have shot my current 442 for the last three weekends. Weekend 1 was a mishmash. 100 rounds of lead, 50 rounds of jacketed, 20 rounds of gold dot, and a bloody thumb. The second week was 150 rounds of Federal Lead, last week 100 round of WWB and today I plan on shooting 10o more rounds of WWB and 50 rounds of Federal Lead. Currently (I am a flake so this is not set in stone) my plan is to change up my shooting routine. I am going to shoot 100 rounds per week from my carry gun (the 442) and 100 rounds from my AR. I will then split a 500 round box of .22 between my AR conversion and my Ruger .22 pistol. I figure that should keep the old muscle memory on about everything. At this rate it would take me a year to shoot 5k through the 442 but I do tend to shoot more than I plan. The trick will be to keep me from flaking out and buying another gun.

GHB
    Let those who are fond of blaming and finding fault, while they sit safely at home, ask, ‘Why did you not do thus and so?’I wish they were on this voyage; I well believe that another voyage of a different kind awaits them.”

Christopher Columbus

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg Bell View Post
    Hear me out.

I think the J-frame in airweight format is probably the best all-around gun for the average civillian. Here is why:

5. Five shots is a serious limitation. I do agree with those who say that 5 shots is the scary minimum. But I do think that the fact that you are much more likely to actually CARRY an ultra-lightweight revolver makes up for a combat autoloader in the glove compartment because you didn't feel like putting it back on before you went in the store.
    A while ago, there was a thread started by Doc G Roberts about the Glock 19 being the new J-frame. It got me thinking and I looked up about a weeks worth of offense reports. While not scientific, we are seeing a trend to multiple suspects (usually 2-3), all armed.

The biggest disadvantage to a J-frame as your sole self-defense gun is the limitation to 5 shots. For me, this is a deal breaker. Especially with the various options in smaller 9mm's available.

I have no issue carrying a Glock 19 or lately a M&P9c off duty. The vary rare times I need to go smaller, a PM9 works. But that's me.

We all need to do an honest assessment of our needs in a defensive tool, then chose the tool that best serves that need. If you're not actually going to have it with you during your time of need, what's the point?

I'd much rather see an individual carrying a J-frame at all times than having their Glock 19 in the glove box.

Greg, you're obviously making an informed personal decision, after thinking it through. You are also practicing with your J-frame. For your needs, it would seem the J-frame is a valid choice.

While I agree with your line of thought, for my needs, a J-frame is a back up gun.

Too often topics like this lead to blanket statements and assumptions that if it works for me, then it is the best choice for all. You didn't go there. This is to be commended.

If I were to rely on a J-frame (442 or 642) as my sole carry gun, I think the best way to consider carrying a reload may be a second gun. I know one individual who carries a pair of 442's for this reason. Food for thought...

I tend to get wordy in my replies. To sum it up, a J-frame in your pocket at all times does beat a Glock 19 in the glove box.
    Last edited by Beat Trash; 10-03-11 at 14:05.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg Bell View Post
    Hear me out.

I think the J-frame in airweight format is probably the best all-around gun for the average civillian. Here is why:

1. Very simple. The Revolver has no safety, no movable sights, no dropable magazines, nothing. Just a gun that you can drop in your pocket and go.

2. Very reliable. While the myth of the unstoppable revolver is BS, it is true that a revovler is more likely to go off when you pull the trigger. Any number of factors from being out of battery due to close contact, empty chamber, jam, missing magazine, etc can curse your autoloader, the J-frame will work in all of the these cicumstances--and if the cylinder is empty keep squeezing.

3. Reasonable cost. Autoloaders are pricey. A Glock 19 is going to run most folks around $520. You are going to need a rigid holster (at least a fobus) and probably at least another spare mag or two. A J-frame will run you $100-200 cheaper.

4. You can throw out the price difference buy purchasing a set of crimson trace laser grips. This is, in the words of LAV, a no brainer fro the J-frame. The laser grip is absolutely perfect for this type of gun. You can practice dry-firing, shooting on the move, barrier shots, etc using the crimson trace grips and save a LOT of time and money at the range. This is especially nice for folks who don't have a range where they can practice practical shooting.

5. Five shots is a serious limitation. I do agree with those who say that 5 shots is the scary minimum. But I do think that the fact that you are much more likely to actually CARRY an ultra-lightweight revolver makes up for a combat autoloader in the glove compartment because you didn't feel like putting it back on before you went in the store.

6. Simplicity (again). A J-frame is really all you need. A simple nylon pocket holster is preferable, but not absolutely needed. You can just put it in your coat pocket (and shoot through it if need be). There is no need to keep up with magaizines and wait for months for holsters or any of the other doo-hickey's that you collect for autoloaders.
    Here is my take.
    J frame pro's
    1. Extreme concealability (can be pocket carried) Its the gun I carry when I am jogging or on those occaisions when you really don't want people to find out your armed. Such as at weddings, church, first dates before they accept I am a gun nut.

2. Simple to maintain
    To sum it up they are the best of the pocket gun class in my opinion. I don't trust the autos that are small enough to be pocket carried. The smallest auto I trust is the Glock 26 and that is my normal off duty carry gun and my BUG at work.

J frame cons.
    1. Difficult to shoot. I can make hits out to 25 yards with mine for the qualification but its not easy. You have a light gun with a relatively heavy trigger and a very short sight radius.
    2. 5 shot capacity coupled with it being extremely slow to reload. The main problem is spent case ejection. I consider a J frame a close range one threat gun, meaning you start at the threats chest and work your way up to his head with all 5 shots and then hopefully the threat is down and hopefully he does not have any friends with him. The J frame in my opinion is the pistol you carry when nothing else will be able to be concealed and its the least amount of pistol you ever dare carry.

As for the glove box gun I don't have one. I keep an 870 behind my seat.
    With respect to Greg I know climate plays a role. Here in Alaska I have found it easy to carry larger handguns. I carried a full size 1911 off duty for the last 7 years or so and only recently went to my Glock 26. When I went to Florida a few years back for training I brought a 442. It was so freaking hot and humid down there that I did not want to leave the hotel wearing anything more than shorts and a T shirt.
    Pat
    Last edited by Alaskapopo; 10-03-11 at 14:04.
    Serving as a LEO since 1999.
    USPSA# A56876 A Class
    Firearms Instructor
    Armorer for AR15, 1911, Glocks and Remington 870 shotguns.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Once you get hooked on the size and weight of a S&W Model-337 its hard to carry larger guns during the summer when your wearing Shorts and a T-Shirt and out for a run or bike ride.

I consider the .38spl J-Frame the smallest gun I prefer to carry and have retired my Kel-tec P-32, P3AT and a Seecamp .32acp which used to be my little guns of choice.

My Model-337 is a run and gun and not a stand and fight piece meaning its mission is to help me break contact while on the move. As always situational awareness and scanning your environment will help you avoid most encounters.
    We are all inclined to judge ourselves by our ideals; others, by their acts.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    A few random thoughts on J frames

I used to have a S&W 640. I regret selling it 15 years ago, but my final semester of college seemed more important at the time.

I did not like carrying it as a primary, but occasionally did when my mode of dress dictated so. I am now a little older and am more likely to change my mode of dress to accommodate my primary weapon.

I found speed strips to be the most convenient way to carry extra ammo.

I felt very comfortable with that as a backup to my Gen 2 Glock 22 .

I shot it very well. The hammerless design allowed for a high hold with a very natural point with my wrist locked forward.

I have never been a fan of laser sighted pistols, but can see the potential in this platform. Who am I to argue with LAV?

50 rounds per practice session was about all I could comfortably tolerate.

I liked pocket carry with an Uncle Mikes pocket holster. The holster was cheap and performed well for me. It was invisible in the front pocked of pleated khakis. My back pocket on the weak side was used for backup carry.

I also picked up an old inverted shoulder holster from the bargain bin at the gun shop I worked at.

I am a fan of J frames. However, you have to understand the strengths and weaknesses of the platform and deploy it accordingly.

"5 for sure" is hard to argue with for a back up. However, the new generation of sub compact autos certainly make a compelling argument. The potential for magazine commonality between back up and primary is a definite bonus.

Currently, I carry an agency issued HK P2000 with Insight M3LED as my primary with a P2000sk as a backup/off duty choice.

I would like an alloy J-frame for use when jogging. I can not seem to carry the P2000sk comfortably while exercising.
    US Army Military Police 97-03
    Federal LEO/M.R.T. 05-Present
    NRA Life Member

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter."
    -E. Hemingway

"I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, then questions the manner in which I provide it."
    -Jack Nicholson (A Few Good Men, 1992)

Feedback Score
    I carry my 340M&P every day. On duty backup and off duty primary.

I am huge fan of centennial j frames. I rely on mine as my primary home defense gun (although I do have a few higher capacity guns just in case).

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    my take on j frames after 30 or so years carrying one:
    they are hard to shoot well only if you don't practice with them- most people who carry one if they shoot it at all throw a box a year through one- Shoot a box a week of quality practice for 6 months and you'll have no problem getting one hole groups at 10 yards- more than adequate for the purpose. I don't consider myself the ultimate pistol shot but can easily hit a steel target gong(shaped like the old fbi q target) at 100 yards with a snubby.
    Mine probably has 20K thru it no problem- they do hold up well (mine is a late 60's all steel gun- alloy guns may be different in this regard)
    it is a good general carry gun- FOR ME- maybe not for others- I use an ankle rig daily- it s on me as we speak- and for those of us in jobs/activites where you need to keep the gun very low profile it is an excellent choice.
    In a worse case scenario- it will buy me time with its 5 shots and one reload to make my way from my desk to may car- parked about 50 yards away- where my shotgun is.

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    An interesting story about J frames. Last March I hosted a two days handgun class. The instructor is a nationally known Legend . I picked him up at his hotel and were heading out to eat. There were five of us that night, myself, another civilian plus three sworn law enforcement officers. The weapon breakdown was:

Lawman 1: 1911 main, J frame back up
    Lawman 2: 1911 main, J frame back up
    Lawman 3: J frame only
    Civilian 1: 1911 only
    Civilian 2: 640 J frame .357 main + 642 J frame .38 +P back up

Five people, five J frames.

Riots are like sports, it's better to watch it on TV at home.

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast