Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: S&W 442 or other J-frame as sole self-defense weapon.

Feedback Score
    Been looking for a decent M36 for some time. Most I've been seeing since I've been looking have been square butts, I want a round butt. I will get one, hopefully next week if the bonus is big enough.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I love carrying my small revolvers. The idea of using one as your primary is fine with me, two is even better!
    I have considered carrying two year round and never having my M&P9 on me. I tend to carry my 9 during the winter when concealing is much easier, people wear heavier cloths etc, but those little Js are hard to give up. I often carry two IWB-appendix, one at 10 o’clock, one at 2. It is comfortable, light, and affords an easy draw with either hand. The only concern I really have is the low round count.

Every time I see a used J-frame for sale in a gun shop I feel like I have to rescue it like a lost puppy.

Feedback Score
    I carry a 442 or 60-15 depending on holster or front pocket carry . They are small,light and powerful. Commando wise are 5 shots enough I would say so as I woudnt carry a larger pistol than I have to . During 100*+ heat the J frame is easy to pack around in mininal clothing. I like J frames!!!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by skyugo View Post
    true, but i think that makes it more valuable to do a serious endurance test. I know my glock will go longer than i need it to, my j-frame i could potentially wear out. I'd like to know what to watch for failure. I'd be forever grateful if you'd do a 10,000 round challenge on one.
    The lightweght J frames aren't the type guns you would want to fire thousands of rounds through. IMO

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveS View Post
    The lightweght J frames aren't the type guns you would want to fire thousands of rounds through. IMO
    I fully intend to put at least a 1000 a year through mine in the name of proficiency. I just want to know when and where i should be looking for failure points. I've done 140 rounds in a session before. it hurts.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by skyugo View Post
    I fully intend to put at least a 1000 a year through mine in the name of proficiency. I just want to know when and where i should be looking for failure points. I've done 140 rounds in a session before. it hurts.
    No need to run that much live ammo thru your gun to maintain proficiency. Get some snap caps and do lots of dry firing, this can be done everyday at home. It's the muscle memory of getting into the fight that needs the most practice. Shoot it just enough to keep up the marksmanship side of things which for me is about 50 live rounds a month.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    ...a bloody thumb.
    I use this specific grip for J-frames:

PRO TIPS with JERRY MICULEK, shootingusa.com/, 6th panel down. I have medium hands, but I'd bet this grip will work with large hands. I'm right handed and it keeps my thumb well away from the cylinder release. With Hogue bantams I can shoot standard wadcutters and SGD +P all day.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Daily 442 carry since 1996. In the past I EDC was either a 1911 variant or a 4" .357, but I live in a fairly quiet rural area and usually am not far from a full sized handgun and a rifle. The 442 shines as an "always" gun and as a "loaner".

I have had rotator cuff surgeries on both sides now, and the 442 was still usable during those times of limited dexterity. I don't have back problems (yet!) but if one does, a 442 is a lot easier to have on you than most handguns.

I wouldn't recommend the 442 for an only gun, but if it's all you have and you're willing to operate within its parameters, it sure beats throwing rocks. And as mentioned, a second 442 should make a nice reload.

Feedback Score
    I carry my J when hiking, etc. I always pack a speed strip too. However, I can shoot a Glock 26 or M&P 9C so much better ( never mind more than double the capacity) that I'm going to make the effort to carry one of the semi-autos almost all the time.

Feedback Score
    35 (100%)
    At my first LE agency I carried a J frame airweight on my ankle during patrol duties every day. I was/is a great secondary weapon. I also found it making its way into an apendix rig on my off duty time as it was just so light and handy to carry. After an incident which occurred while working plain clothes and carrying a G27 as my primary, I realized that had I been packing my J frame I would likely have been in a world of hurt. That incident caused me to reserve the J frame for only BUG duties while in plain clothes and on patrol.

Flash forward to my current agency which is a primarily rural sheriff's department where your backup is often more than one hour out and I again found myself reconsidering my needs in a BUG. This agency issues the M&P 40, so I recently purchased an M&P 40c which rides in a Galco ankle glove holster (in my opinion the only choice in an ankle holster for patrol duties). This gun serves as my off duty gun and on duty BUG. Obviously the fact that it takes my larger gun's magazines is a huge plus on patrol.

The J frame is a great weapon, but I think in these "modern times," there are far better choices for a primary defensive gun. The advent of the sub compact service weapon I.E. G27, M&P compact and the like has seriously caught up to the venerable J frame. They offer better shootability, faster reloads, and more capacity and for the most part are just as easily carried as long as you stick to ankle or belt holster.
    "You have never lived until you have almost died. For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected will never know." - Written by an unknown soldier in Vietnam.

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast