Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: shorter barrel and re-crowned

Feedback Score
    Did you get your rifle back yet? Interested in how this turns out...

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by M_Rapp View Post
    Did you get your rifle back yet? Interested in how this turns out...
    It is back and feels great with the 22 1/2" barrel. Been to the range (only 100 yard range) and shoots great. Didn't know how much of a kick it had prior to the shorter barrel and the addition of a Dead Mule Recoil Reducer. The recoil is probably less than or equal to my ought-six.

Feedback Score
    It would have been interesting for you to have done before and after chronographs. Some cartridges/loads lose surprisingly little velocity from shortening, while some do lose pretty significant amounts. You certainly can't go by some of the old "rule of thumb" estimates.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jake'sDad View Post
    It would have been interesting for you to have done before and after chronographs. Some cartridges/loads lose surprisingly little velocity from shortening, while some do lose pretty significant amounts. You certainly can't go by some of the old "rule of thumb" estimates.
    For sure you are correct. Still kicking myself in the ass for not using friends chronograph before & after. Just very unhappy with a 26" barrel, as previously stated felt like a spear. All those years shooting the M16, 26" was just toooooooooooooo much.

Feedback Score
    Cut her down and dont look back, I have 2 18" guns now and am in the process of selling off my last 24".... I have come to love the shortys

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by platoonDaddy View Post
    For sure you are correct. Still kicking myself in the ass for not using friends chronograph before & after. Just very unhappy with a 26" barrel, as previously stated felt like a spear. All those years shooting the M16, 26" was just toooooooooooooo much.
    Believe me, I understand. I started cutting down rifles over 30 years ago, when most thought you were crazy for doing so. Buying my first chronograph was one of the smartest things I ever did.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12