Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: A GUN FOR A LEGEND

Feedback Score

A GUN FOR A LEGEND

I just finished customizing a Marlin 336 in 44 Magnum for Ken Hackathorn. The Marlin 36 in 44 Magnum was only made for two years and has been out of production for about 20.

The gun came out as a 20 inch. I cut it down to just under 17, per Ken’s request, and recessed and recrowned the barrel. I slicked up the internals, replaced the front sight with an ivory bead front sight, and installed sling swivels.

I sweated the dents out of the stock and hand coated it with 20 coats of oil to preserve it longer. This was not a complete customization.

I did exactly what Ken asked me to do because he knows what he wants in a gun. When I get a call for a custom job, I usually have to guide the customer how to make the gun into what they want it to be. This is Ken’s choice gun for when he retires. He wants it to be his “go to gun” hanging over the door. He had a vision for the gun and chose to send it to me because he believed I could create his vision. It’s not often you get the chance to work for a living legend and even less common to have the honor to call him your friend. I am grateful for the opportunity not only to work with him but also to work on a firearm of which only a few 100 were ever produced. He trusted me to do this gun for him, and I was glad to do it. It has been surreal to work on a firearm for someone I have looked up to for 25 years. I am truly grateful for the experience and our friendship.

WWW.SUPERIORFIREARMSLLC.COM
    10111 Production Court
    Louisville ky. 40299
    502-365-2244

Former VSM Regional Endorsed Instructor

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Did the cut-down work you did on the above gun require you to remove and reinstall the front sight?

I recently purchased a Winchester M70 Featherweight Compact, and have been looking for someone to install fixed sights on the gun. Would this be something you could do? What about cutting the barrel, threading it for a suppressor mount/flash hider, and installing sights?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Very nice. What rear sight is that?

Feedback Score
    What an awesome looking rifle. Very nice!

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Incredible work, incredible story. My hat is off....

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Ken's future fishing companion I bet.

I figured he might want a Micro on that sucker!
    My brother saw Deliverance and bought a Bow. I saw Deliverance and bought an AR-15.

Feedback Score
    It just so happens that I have one of those 336 Marlins in 44 Magnum!

I have given it to my dad because he wanted to play with one. It will not be cut down though, as I already have a 16" Marlin .44 magnum.

Fun little guns. That being said, for out in the Rocky Mountain West where we live, they do not have the practical application that they would back east where ranges are likely to be significantly shorter.

Typical western ranges:

Still, they are entertaining, and if one was up for an additional challenge of sneaking through the north side timber pockets looking to poke an elk through the lungs....

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Outstanding.
    Employee of colonialshooting.com

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    THAT, is an awesome looking Marlin. Fantastic work there. Ken is a lucky man!

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    Beautiful gun Mr. Smith. I can picture Ken wearing a Milt Sparks HSR holster with a Smith & Wesson model 29 in it and this lever gun in his hand as he stares out his front porch.

Riots are like sports, it's better to watch it on TV at home.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast