Thread: ARE SP1 CAR'S RELIABLE

Feedback Score

ARE SP1 CAR'S RELIABLE

Just had a buddy inquire about the reliability of Colt SP1 carbines. Apparently he has found a "like new" thirty year old CAR that he is thinking of buying but was concerned that SP1's might not be as reliable as A2's or M4's. I don't know the answer so I thought I'd ask "the experts".

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SIMBA-LEE View Post
    Just had a buddy inquire about the reliability of Colt SP1 carbines. Apparently he has found a "like new" thirty year old CAR that he is thinking of buying but was concerned that SP1's might not be as reliable as A2's or M4's. I don't know the answer so I thought I'd ask "the experts".

I've owned several over the last 20 years or so, and they've always performed 100% with good quality ammo and magazines, just like any other quality carbine.

Run it wet with a good lube.

Co-worker from a few years back getting some trigger time on one of my old SP-1 Carbines...

Employee of colonialshooting.com

Feedback Score
    Thanks, I passed on your info. He was concerned because of the VietNam era M-16 malfunction complaints and all I could remember was they were caused by improper powder in the ammo and incorrect cleaning & lube procedures.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SIMBA-LEE View Post
    Thanks, I passed on your info. He was concerned because of the VietNam era M-16 malfunction complaints and all I could remember was they were caused by improper powder in the ammo and incorrect cleaning & lube procedures.

SP1 carbines have all the improvements made to correct these Vietnam era problems.

The vietnam era problems predate the SP1 carbine by atleast 5 years.
    Last edited by scottryan; 10-03-11 at 17:47.
    "Not every thing on Earth requires an aftermarket upgrade." demigod/markm

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by scottryan View Post
    SP1 carbines have all the improvements made to correct these Vietnam era problems.
    But I believe they predate H buffers and carbine extractor springs.

Easy to update if needed, and the springs should be replaced on a used rifle with unknown round count anyway.

Feedback Score
    I have a 1982 SP1 carbine as my issued long gun for LEO purposes. Used it in the NRA patrol rifle instructor class and shoot it on a regular basis. Very reliable. Only one jam when I let it get too dry. As accurate with iron sights as newer Colt M4 style carbines (even as accurate as others with optics). My 2 cents

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    My first AR-15 was an SP-1 CAR. It was flawless.

In fact, I never had a malfunction until much later when I purchased one of the commercial clones.