Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: SBR Question: 11.5 - 14.5?

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Mine is the M42K; I recently had it upgraded to the 07 model with the ratchet mount.

Feedback Score
    14.5" is about the stupidest barrel length ever devised for use with a carbine gas system...

For a SBR, the 11 to 12" or so barrels run great with DI and with a piston, you can go shorter, as needed.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Derek_Connor View Post
    Agreed. I'd put the 12.5 up at the top of the list as the "do it all" SBR.

Ive had the 12.5 for awhile now. going on 2 years....it goes and goes.

The other rifles in the safe are jealous...

Current config with midlength rail:

Derek,

Is that a KAC UXB midlength? Those UXBs are hard to find and I've heard the midlength ones should probably only exist on complete guns from the factory - correct? With all the being said, how long is the rail and how much barrel is left exposed?

Thanks,
    Spooky

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Spooky130 View Post
    Derek,

Is that a KAC UXB midlength? Those UXBs are hard to find and I've heard the midlength ones should probably only exist on complete guns from the factory - correct? With all the being said, how long is the rail and how much barrel is left exposed?

Thanks,
    Spooky
    You are correct on both counts.

The rail is approx 10.75 inches, leaving 1.75 inches of barrel left

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Just out of curiosity, how much more finicky is the 10.5 than the 11.5? And...is the 12.5 any less finicky than the 11.5?

I'm considering building another rifle, but going the SBR route this time as well.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by DocGKR View Post
    14.5" is about the stupidest barrel length ever devised for use with a carbine gas system...
    WOW! That's a bold statement.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by truthseeker View Post
    Just out of curiosity, how much more finicky is the 10.5 than the 11.5? And...is the 12.5 any less finicky than the 11.5?

I'm considering building another rifle, but going the SBR route this time as well.

I kinda walked away from this thread and it went off on a tangent about 'worth it for the $200 stamp'.

We are asking the same question - for the purposes of function - what is the best?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Face_N_The_Crowd View Post
    I kinda walked away from this thread and it went off on a tangent about 'worth it for the $200 stamp'.

We are asking the same question - for the purposes of function - what is the best?
    Personally, I have a Colt 6933 with the 11.5" barrel and it has run great for me. Not a single problem I can recall with a variety of ammunition and magazines. I would recommend it to anyone and state that it is not "finicky" at all.

Now, while not my personal experience, several other officers that are friends of mine run 10.5" Colts from Ken at SAW. They too have had no problems whatsoever with their weapons. The fact that the Mk18 CQBR has been adopted so widely should also be a testiment to the reliability of the 10.3"/10.5" barrel length.

If the gas ports are correct for the barrel length and basic care is taken with the rifle and it's ammunition you should be fine and have a reliable rifle.

Feedback Score
    I *want* a 10.5, but everything I have read indicates that reliability begins at 11.5 so that is good news.

That said - how does your 10.5 / 11.5 run with - WOLF - yeah, I said it. It is shit and that is why I am asking.

TIA

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Face_N_The_Crowd View Post
    I *want* a 10.5, but everything I have read indicates that reliability begins at 11.5 so that is good news.

That said - how does your 10.5 / 11.5 run with - WOLF - yeah, I said it. It is shit and that is why I am asking.

TIA
    If you want a 10.5" just make sure you go with quality. Be it a setup from Specialized Armament or a LMT upper as they have optimized the rifle/upper to run at that barrel length.

As far as Wolf, I cannot attest to that as I still won't use it. I may start running the Hornady 75gr. Practice Ammo when it becomes available for order again but as of now I am using M855 for range use and 5.56 TAP 75gr. T2 ammo for work related issues.

Edit to Add: A member here, maybe Rob(?) but I cannot remember, uses Wolf in his SBR so he should be able to give you a more direct and elaborate answer.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast