Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ruger LCR

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Ruger LCR

I just traded a S&W Bodyguard .380 for a Ruger LCR with the XS front sight earlier today. I'm a S&W guy when it comes to snubbies and have several and carry a 642-1 daily. This is my first LCR and I realize I haven't bothered reading much on them compared to J frames.

What's everyone's opinion of them?

So far I like the grip even though it is bulky. The trigger is light, but not as smooth, compared to a J frame. I have an Apex Tactical J frame duty kit in my Centennial, so I think that evens them up some. Absolutely love the XS front sight! I paid extra for this version but definitely wanted it over the standard sights.

What kind of aftermarket is there for these?
    "When you go home, Tell them of us and say, For your tomorrow, We gave our today."

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

LCR

Last year a bunch of us got together and bought one for a co-worker of ours who is a pretty established firearms instructor for his 50th birthday. He had carried the same model 60 for about 20 years, shortly after putting alot of rounds through his new LCR he retired the model 60. He put the XS big dot on the front and he loves the thing, it now resides in his cargo pocket every shift.

Feedback Score
    I have one with the XS sights, standard and boot grips. I find it easier to shoot accurately than my 340M&P or 642. Not so much b/c the trigger pull is lighter, it's because the trigger reach is a little longer and the geometry of the trigger shape and trigger guard shape allows me to curl my finger around the trigger without it getting pinched so when it breaks the muzzle doesn't twitch to the right. No more aim for the right shoulder to hit center of mass.

My thumb knuckle doesn't get cut by the cylinder release latch anymore. Empties extract more easily than a J, sometimes they all fall out without even hitting the rod. Felt recoil is less than the J frames when both have the boot grips due to the cushion in the LCR boot grip.

On mine, the little screw holding in the cylinder release latch would come loose but I have lock tighted it now.
    I like the XS sights for their tritium and visibility but the flip side to them is the round/square shape mismatch makes it harder to obtain a consistently accurate sight picture at longer distances though I have fired a 3.5" 5 shot group offhand @25yds with the Speer 135gr+P load which is better than I could ever do with my J.

Speed strips and HKS 36 speedloaders work for them. Most holster manufs have models for the LCR now.
    I have a Nemesis pocket holster, High Noon Split Decision and Don Hume JIT for it.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I am very new to revolvers, but I opted for the 642 because of the aluminum frame vs. polymer on the LCR, and after recently trying out the trigger on an LCR, I prefer my 642's trigger partially because I can stage it. On the LCR that I looked at, the trigger could not be staged and it was one constant pull until break. I guess it's whatever you prefer. I'm no Ruger hater either, I have an LCP and my 10/22 was my very first firearm.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ImBroke View Post
    ....... it's because the trigger reach is a little longer and the geometry of the trigger shape and trigger guard shape allows me to curl my finger around the trigger without it getting pinched so when it breaks the muzzle doesn't twitch to the right.

I have the same problem with J frames and while dryfiring the LCR have also noticed this advantage. I'll be shooting it tomorrow.

My thumb knuckle doesn't get cut by the cylinder release latch anymore.

I occasionally have that issue with my J frames, can see the difference your talking about.

On mine, the little screw holding in the cylinder release latch would come loose but I have lock tighted it now.

Just noticed the same with mine, from dryfiring it alot today I guess. I saw the blue loctite on the threads before screwing it back in. Hope this doesn't become an annoying issue.
    Does yours rattle alot? I've noticed the internals make a lot of noise when shaking it. If I hold the trigger back after dryfiring it it doesn't rattle. Obviously its just the trigger mechanism and thats fine, just annoying is all. Oh well, just me being picky.

Any quirks besides the cylinder release latch screw loosening up?
    Last edited by cathellsk; 10-05-11 at 21:17.
    "When you go home, Tell them of us and say, For your tomorrow, We gave our today."

Feedback Score
    I took my LCR on a hike up a mountain. It was riding in the cargo pocket of my shorts around my knee area. From that position you could clearly hear it click as it swung back and forth and bounced off my leg. This probably isn't the best way to carry the gun though for a variety of reasons.

Whenever I keep it in a pant or jacket pocket close to my body the gun does not rattle. Keeping it holstered IWB/OWB or in a jacket pocket would be your best bet.

I really like the trigger and the way the grips tame recoil. The gun is easy and fun to shoot.

Here is the most comprehensive video I've found so far on this gun.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/theKGB65.../0/8SJxVTldAss

I chose the LCR over a S&W 642 and do not regret it.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by cathellsk View Post
    Does yours rattle alot? I've noticed the internals make a lot of noise when shaking it. If I hold the trigger back after dryfiring it it doesn't rattle. Obviously its just the trigger mechanism and thats fine, just annoying is all. Oh well, just me being picky.

Any quirks besides the cylinder release latch screw loosening up?
    Yes, I pocket carry and can hear the internals jingling -if there are no other sounds-. No other people will hear it and think gun, they'll think keys or change.

Haven't noticed any other quirks yet. Something that I wouldn't mind changed:
    1. User removable cylinder and crane for cleaning
    2. Original grips with hard sides just like on the boot grip. I think that the original grip shape is one of the best for small revolvers, still pocketable but hand filling. But the sticky sides slow down the draw and rub against my bare skin when I carry IWB without undershirt so I use the boot grip.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    The more I carry, the more situations I find where the LCR would be perfect. Even though it may not be as sexy as other offerings, there is no disputing the utility of this weapon.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I carried a 340 PD which was being destroyed by dirt, sweat and occasional inundation and immersion. I retired it for an LCR which is much easier to thoroughly clean and is more corrosion resistant.

Feedback Score
    I like the ruger also, i have had a few in past would like to buy another in future!

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast