Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best SPR Style Rifle vs Cost?

Feedback Score

Best SPR Style Rifle vs Cost?

I am looking to buy my 2nd AR and setting it up as more of a RECCE / SPR type. Leaning towards an 18" SPR with rifle gas. My 1st AR is a lightweight DD and set up with Aimpoint and X300 so I want to set this up as a precision type rifle with a variable power scope. I've looked at the Larue Tactical Upper and buying a complete lower from BCM or DD. The Larue Tactical Upper is $1195 on their website (which seems high). Is the performance of the Larue Upper in terms of accuracy better than say a complete Upper from BCM with a stainless barrel? Is there a more cost effective way to get into a top tier SPR type rifle? I have searched and read a lot of posts on the SPR and RECCE types but wanted to get some advice (this was what I did prior to buying my lightweight DDM3 and it's been exactly what I hoped).

Appreciate the input.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    When I was looking into a SPR/RECCE type rifle I think I priced out a 16 inch BCM upper complete for right about 1k.

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-S...10%20ddl12.htm

Get a blem BCM lower with a Geiselle trigger for like 410 bucks and you are just in need of an optic and ammo.
    C co 1/30th Infantry Regiment
    3rd Brigade 3rd Infantry Division
    2002-2006
    OIF 1 and 3

IraqGunz:
    No dude is going to get shot in the chest at 300 yards and look down and say "What is that, a 3 MOA group?"

Feedback Score
    I have a 16inch BCM Middy SS and it runs great. I agree with your 18 inch rifle length gas system. I had a 18in JP already, so I went with the 16 SS as a back-up to the JP and a Novekse Light Recce.
    The Second Amendment ACKNOWLEDGES our right to own and bear arms that are in common use that can be used for lawful purposes. The arms can be restricted ONLY if subject to historical analogue from the founding era or is dangerous (unsafe) AND unusual.

It's that simple.

Feedback Score
    Is there an accuracy or performance advantage with the Larue or Noveske upper vs the BCM or just name brand and more $$$? I havent shot either of the above so kind of digging for what is "better" as I've heard nothing but positives with the BCM products.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    There is not much accuracy difference as far as I can tell, with shooting all three. I have to give the pure accuracy advantage to the Larue but believe the real difference is more in subtle refinements than accuracy. You're talking about my personal 3 favorite AR manufacturers.
    "The peace we have within us is most often expressed in how we treat others"

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by seb5 View Post
    There is not much accuracy difference as far as I can tell, with shooting all three. I have to give the pure accuracy advantage to the Larue but believe the real difference is more in subtle refinements than accuracy. You're talking about my personal 3 favorite AR manufacturers.
    That is good to know. If I go with the Larue upper I would probably not do the Larue lower just do to cost. Is there a negative to putting a BCM lower on the Larue upper? Not from a resale standpoint but from performance / function? I would be buying a complete upper / lower as I'm not ready to take on building yet.

Feedback Score
    How would the DPMS SASS rifle fare for this application? Being a DPMS, I am sure it is inferior quality to something like BCM or LMT, but I have heard a few people swear by the quality of some of the DPMS 308 rifles. I've been pondering the issue myself. Right now I am selling my DPMS LR-308 24in SS bbl and in favor getting a more lightweight, yet still feasible for long range, .308 or 6.8 rifle.

Feedback Score
    For a 5.56 mm SPR type rifle, I'd recommend going with a 16" barrel "Recce/Recon" style configuration--it is hard to beat the accuracy and quality from vendors like LaRue, Centurian Arms, BCM, Noveske, and MSTN.

Feedback Score
    I'm in sort of the same dilemma, with the exception that I want something lighter.

Have you considered that? For complete rifles, the Larue PredatAR is $1500 and the Noveske Rogue Hunter is $1700.

I think you'd be hard pressed to beat the $1500 for the Larue given the Geissele SSA trigger. You could probably build a lower with better parts than the Noveske spec and come out at the same price.

The only drawback I see is that you probably shouldn't do mag dumps with the lighter profile barrels.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I just recently went through the same decision making as the OP, wanted to add a 2nd AR that was more of a precision rifle. I ended up doing something similar to what DocGKR suggested, a "recce/recon" build with a 16" barrel. I weighed the whole 20" vs 18" vs 16" decision, but in the end (and considering my common uses for the rifle), the limited ballistic gains of the longer barrels and the loss of mobility didn't seem worth it. So my upper was built around the BCM SS ion-bond 16" barrel, an impressive barrel and only a couple oz heavier than their standard CL barrels. Pair a good stainless barrel with a good trigger like a Geissele, and you have the foundation for an accurate rifle, and one that is still handy and could be used (secondarily) in a CQ fighting gun role.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast