Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Help with S&W Revolver choice!

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jake'sDad View Post
    Where are you finding used stainless snubby K frames for under $300?
    I did a quick look on GB and found a few that started there. Most though are in the $500 range. I had a 66-7 and it was nice but decided I'd get rid of it for something else since, at the time I still had my 60 & 686.

Quote Originally Posted by Templar View Post
    I realize you weren't asking about these, but you might consider a Ruger "Six" series. They are excellent revolvers and real work horses, and can easily be "field stripped", unlike most other revolvers.

The Security Six is a particular favorite of mine, and they can still be found for much less than a comparable used S&W.
    I haven't looked at the Six series. I've thought about the Ruger SP101 and GP100 but I still have grips, speed loaders and holsters for the Smith guns. Usually if you include them in the gun sale, they get tossed in a bin and you maybe get $20 more.
    -VERITAS VINCIT-

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Skintop911 View Post
    Remember the mass dumping of revolvers for autos by LE? Dealers and wholesalers were sitting on piles of them and couldn't give them away. 10s, 64s, 65s, 66s, 19s, 586s, 686s...all for a couple hundred, if that.

I paid ~$125 for my 64, and ~$165 for my 65.

Should've bought more.
    That's always true. We'll be talking about how cheap stuff was today 20 years from now. (Or how we could buy them at all....)

Of my 30+ S&W's, most of them cost me less than $200, even new. But, that was "back in the day".

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Templar View Post
    I realize you weren't asking about these, but you might consider a Ruger "Six" series. They are excellent revolvers and real work horses, and can easily be "field stripped", unlike most other revolvers.

The Security Six is a particular favorite of mine, and they can still be found for much less than a comparable used S&W.
    Can't beat them for reliability. Of the armorer's schools I went to, Ruger revolvers have given me the least chances to use what I learned. I like shooting my Smith's, but the Ruger's will keep working without any maintenance for a lot longer.

They used to be the sleeper in the revolver market. But that's changing. I'm looking for a 4" Speed or Service Six for my brother in law, and clean ones are hard to find, and have definitely gone up in price.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    if you are concerned about using your old gear then i'd stick with the 6 shot L frames.

the gp100 uses L frame speedloaders

if you are venturing off into 7 or 8 shots everything can be can for moonclips

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by CJ804 View Post
    the gp100 uses L frame speedloaders

if you are venturing off into 7 or 8 shots everything can be can for moonclips
    This is good to know. What about the SP101? Does it use the same speedloaders as the S&W J-frames?

As for moon clips; been there, done that...still swearing! I had a S&W 610 and a Taurus 905 in 9mm. Gawd did that suck pulling out the spent cases.

Since my original posting, some of my options came and went. C'est la vie! So little time and money and far too many options!
    -VERITAS VINCIT-

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Yep, SP101's use the same 5 shot speed loaders that a S&W J frame does.
    Employee of colonialshooting.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12