G&R Tactical
Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Mk318 vs 5.56 75gr TAP

Feedback Score
    What is the mission or requirement driving your ammunition choice?

For military personnel, engaging in combat from 0-300 yards using an M4, the Mk318 Mod0 is the best option readily available via the supply system; the 70 gr Optimized is also very good for those units who can procure it. For folks shooting at 300-600+, the Mk262 Mod1 is clearly the superior choice, along with the 70 gr "browntip" for those commands with access to it.

In a civilian LE or self defense setting, NONE of these are the best options, as the likely shooting parameters and restrictions are far different than in a military setting. My first choice would be one of the barrier blind loads noted in the link I posted above.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    HD. Is the 77 gr Sierra (Federal-TRU) similar to the 75 gr OTM and ok for HD?

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by WS6 View Post
    I think you misunderstood, with all due respect.

OP that you quoted was referencing the retained weight of the projectile, which appears to be 31-33gr and consists of the solid copper shank.
    Quote Originally Posted by kenndapp View Post
    Yes...that is exactly what was talking about.
    Gotcha, my bad.
    Jack Leuba
    Director, Military and Government Sales
    Knight's Armament Company
    jleuba@knightarmco.com

Director of Training

FB@ Facebook.com/F2SConsultingLLC
    As accurate as needed, as fast as possible, as many times as it takes.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by DocGKR View Post
    In a civilian LE or self defense setting, NONE of these are the best options, as the likely shooting parameters and restrictions are far different than in a military setting. My first choice would be one of the barrier blind loads noted in the link I posted above.
    What are the "likely shooting parameters and restrictions" which argue against these rounds and make the barrier blind rounds you suggest superior? Specifically, why would Mk 318 not be "good enough?"
    Last edited by Submariner; 11-03-11 at 20:31. Reason: Restate question.
    "The very purpose of a Bill of Rights was to withdraw certain subjects from the vicissitudes of political controversy, to place them beyond the reach of majorities and officials and to establish them as legal principles to be applied by the courts." Justice Robert Jackson, WV St. Board of Education v. Barnette, 319 U.S. 624 (1943)

"I donít care how many pull ups and sit ups you can do. I care that you can move yourself across the ground with a fighting load and engage the enemy." Max Velocity

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
    What are the "likely shooting parameters and restrictions" which argue against these rounds and make the barrier blind rounds you suggest superior? Specifically, why would Mk 318 not be "good enough?"
    I would like hear more about this to. mk318 was mentioned in the .556 duty ammo thread so it must be sufficient.

Feedback Score
    41 (98%)

The military is not allowed to use bullets designed to expand like a hunting bullet or in this case the loads Doc suggest like TBBC, Gold Dot, ect.

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    From the data I have seen and some anecdotal evidence, the other barrier blind rounds seem to be a bit more precise.
    I don't have any theory as to why, just what I have read and seen on the interwebz.
    Jack Leuba
    Director, Military and Government Sales
    Knight's Armament Company
    jleuba@knightarmco.com

Director of Training

FB@ Facebook.com/F2SConsultingLLC
    As accurate as needed, as fast as possible, as many times as it takes.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    They also tend to give better wound potential after barriers, while actually penetrating less through the bad guy on unobstructed shots.

The base of the Mk318 will zip right through the target after the nose frags off, while bullets like the Tactical Bonded tend to hold together in a large classic mushroom shape.

Shooting through glass the bonded bullets hold together, the Mk318 spits a .22cal wadcutter through the glass. While this will penetrate well it won't make as wide of a hole in tissue as the bonded rounds.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    For any civilian purpose including vehicles and glass and if cost is not an issue, is there any reason why Barnes 50gr TSX for close range or 62gr TSX for longer ranges would not be one of the better choices?

This assumes over penetration is not a concern.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    So if your an Leo or civie and you don't want to run a soft point and you can't afford the quantity of tsx rounds you deem necessary to keep......wouldn't mk318 be next in line when choosing a bb round? With that in mind, a 22lr after penetrating a barrier does not sound like optimal performance but it beats a snow storm of small non-penetrating fragments. what realy concerns me is its performance in unobstructed shots on soft targets. if it can compete with 75g tap then that is good enough for me.
    Last edited by kenndapp; 11-04-11 at 04:56.

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast