Thread: Help with my first build....

Feedback Score

Question Help with my first build....

I am building my first AR. I am completely ignorant when it comes to these things so all comment are appriciated. I want something for GP use, plinking, home defense, cool factor etc. I dont plan to be doing any competeing. With that said I do not want to take any shortcuts. I would rather spend the money up front for something really nice and dependable. I want something with a 16" barrel, flat top, free floating. I have already purchased my lower, it is a LMT with single stage trigger and a SOPMOD buttstock. I was thinking about a LMT upper, but my local gun store was showing me ths Stag 2HT upper. It comes with Samason free floating quad rail and a Arms BUIS but it is 1:9 barrel twist. Do I want the 1:7 twist of the LMT? What are the advantages/disadvantages of both. I would prefer a TROY BUIS over the ARMS, but the ARMS seems to be very popular too.
    Thanks for your suggestions,
    Jimmy

Feedback Score

Stag is a good choice.

Jimmy.

You have a great quality lower. The Stag Arms upper will serve the purposes you described and then some. The ARMS sight is solid. For the most part you will probably be purchasing an optic (am I right?) and at that point your BUIS will be used for a smaller percentage of your training and mainly used with co-witnessing (if at all).

You just seem to want an all around gun. The LMT lower and any Stag complete upper would probably work for you, although if you want it to be free floated, F-marked, and ready with a BUIS it is a logical and budget minded choice to go with the 2T.

If the only disadvantage is not having a Troy rear sight...buy the Stag upper anyway, run it hard with the ARMS BUIS and see if you can break it (I bet you won't). You can always get the Troy later and you'll still have a great upper out of the box to begin with.

The 1:7 twist allows you to use heavier grain bullets such as a 77 grain TAP and maybe some heavier handloads. If you're just going to the range and plinking, you'll probably just be using 55 gr and 62 grain fodder. The 1:9 will handle your needs up to 75 grains just fine. Remember, both Stag and LMT are chrome lined and you should get great service life out of either.

In the end, the 1:9 twist isn't a hinderance to your gun's performance. 1:7 is nice, but it all depends on how you're using the gun. It seems it wouldn't make a huge difference to how you will be running it.

Save some money and buy a good EoTech, Aimpoint, or ACOG with a LaRue mount. Then run your gun and enjoy it. No decision will be wrong. It's just preference.

PS: You might want to get a post purchase staking job on your bolt.

Feedback Score
    Thanks for your reply. Yes I will be adding a optic at some point. I did read also that LMT uses Better steel in their barrel too. Is this something to be concerned about? I have also read the threads about the sub-par staking on the stag. The Stag seems like a good deal, but the more I read on this forum it seems the more people I find dont like them. I know the LMT will cost more up front, but I dont want to buy the Stag and the wish I bought the LMT. One more question. Will I need a different buffer in my LMT lower?

Feedback Score
    The staking job is simple. You can even buy the tool yourself, go through an AR smith locally (if there is one in your area) or several members on this forum also stake keys regularly.

I don't think the Stag barrel quality would show much of a difference no matter how you use it. Someone else on the forum might be able to cite exact differences according to specs, but I don't think the manner in which you will be using the rifle will demonstrate any lacking of quality in the Stag product.

In fact, honestly, the way you are running the gun...the bolt will probably be fine out of the box. I am guessing you're probably a few hundred to maybe a thousand round a year plinker bench shooting or just casually throwing lead down range? Are you going to a tactical class and running the snot out of your gun 1200 rounds a weekend or even a few hundred rounds a weekend? Doing any three gun matches, etc?

All mechanical things vary in quality. The Stag product is excellent for the money as is the LMT. You can't go wrong either way. I think for your "wants" the Stag upper is a much better solution that won't break your bank. You aren't clearing rooms with it, and even if you were it'd be suitable for the task.

Feedback Score
    What is everyone elses opinion? Anyone have the 2HT upper?

Feedback Score
    anyone?