Thread: Which rifle?

Feedback Score

Which rifle?

I already have an LMT MWS, but was contemplating adding a 5.56 gun to the collection to serve just a precision type role. I figured it would be both cheaper and more challenging to learn with a .223/5.56 gun, then cary over the the MWS as range increases. Typically my range that I can go to is about 200 yards. I have access to roughly 500 yards with friends. In addition right now I have a DD M4V5 that wears a Vortex 1-4 and I keep this rifle zeroed at 50/200.

This begs the question, what rifle do I pick up and why? I looked at the KAC LPR, the DD Mk12 and the 18 inch LMT MRP with 5r barrel. I have not handled any of these so I am unbiased. Ideally the gun would wear a 2-10 scope and be dedicated to more "precision" shooting. Can anyone give direct input on these?

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by TylerD View Post
    I figured it would be both cheaper and more challenging to learn with a .223/5.56 gun, then cary over the the MWS as range increases.
    Inside of your window of 500 yards... Cheaper? Definitely. More challenging? Not really... Our .308 175s match 77 smks trajectory relatively close out to 500 yards. (about 3.5 mils of come up for both)
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I agree. And I don't think you need to go ape shit with a super expensive boutique gun to shoot precision style .223/5.56.

Get a decent barrel and buy or load good ammo, and you're set.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    I agree. And I don't think you need to go ape shit with a super expensive boutique gun to shoot precision style .223/5.56.

Get a decent barrel and buy or load good ammo, and you're set.
    So markm, would I be better off in your opinion to just buy the 2-10 and slap it on my M4V5 on days I shoot distance? If the rifle is good to go as is then so be it. I just didn't know if it was better to have a rifle dedicated to this task. I appappreciate the input.

Feedback Score
    If you are serious about a precision .223, I heard these guys are solid. Just some info I got from the Sniper Hide forum...they have a very solid rep on that forum...

https://www.whiteoakarmament.com/xcart/home.php

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    So markm, would I be better off in your opinion to just buy the 2-10 and slap it on my M4V5 on days I shoot distance? If the rifle is good to go as is then so be it. I just didn't know if it was better to have a rifle dedicated to this task. I appappreciate the input.
    I'm guessing Mark will say yes, go buy a nice scope and pop it on your DD, that would be great. We shoot 16 guns past 500 and do so well to 600 and 700 on some days. We can get hits at $1,000. Just for shits.

Get that kick ass scope.
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    I was looking at picking up a Vortex 2-10. I hsve some research to do I guess. I've never owned any other glass besides vortex and aimpoint. I've picked up leupold and nightforce I've just never had first hand experience with them.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    That's what I would do. Put some nice glass on top and you might be surprised at how accurate that rifle is. I bet you could get sub-moa with the right ammo.

I was looking at picking up a Vortex 2-10. I hsve some research to do I guess. I've never owned any other glass besides vortex and aimpoint. I've picked up leupold and nightforce I've just never had first hand experience with them.
    The PST 2.5-10x32 is a great scope. Nice glass, solid turrets, usable reticle, and parallax adjustment. I could do without the FFP since the reticle is too small to be usable at lower powers, but it is what it is.
    Last edited by Onyx Z; 01-10-15 at 08:46.

Feedback Score
    This is what I suggest. Look here and scroll down to POST # 6.

http://forum.gon.com/showthread.php?t=829921