Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Springfield M1A Standard with match barrel. About to pull the trigger!

Feedback Score

Springfield M1A Standard with match barrel. About to pull the trigger!

This is not a question. If I've ever felt more confident about laying down 1600$ for a gun, then this M1A is it.

I've read essentially NOTHING bad about the platform. I've seen people who shoot it put it down and drive to the local gun shop to buy their own...

It feels like an awesome instrument. It solves my old agonizing pondering about which longer range rifle to buy in order to learn longer distance shooting. It's beautiful, it's historic, it's built like a tank...

Am I a bit head over heels for this rifle or is it a winner? I'm planing on buying it next week and can't wait!
    No, my question is not a joke. I'm just a newbie

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    You haven't heard anything bad about the rifle? As a long range platform there are better choices at that price. As much as their AR-15s have been abysmal in my experience, DPMS puts out some highly accurate 308s that will outshoot any M1A I have had a chance to shoot.

There is a reason that long range shooting competitions (semi-auto) are dominated by AR platform rifles.

I say if the rifle has a nostalgic appeal go for it. If you are truly looking for the best long range rifle at that price you can do much better.

Rick

Feedback Score
    M1A is a solid platform. If you have the $ would look at LRB over Springfield. Don't expect to run with more modern designs in accuracy without spending $. The Sadlak scope mounts are excellent. M1A are fun to shoot and most standard's seem to run about 2 MOA.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Devildawg2531 View Post
    M1A is a solid platform. If you have the $ would look at LRB over Springfield. Don't expect to run with more modern designs in accuracy without spending $. The Sadlak scope mounts are excellent. M1A are fun to shoot and most standard's seem to run about 2 MOA.
    From what I see, and for my purposes, it's accurate enough. The appeal of owning a bit of history is nice too. And no, have not heard bad things about it. I'm not shooting 1000 yards with it. Maybe 500. For fun. Not comp.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by BooneGA View Post
    You haven't heard anything bad about the rifle? As a long range platform there are better choices at that price. As much as their AR-15s have been abysmal in my experience, DPMS puts out some highly accurate 308s that will outshoot any M1A I have had a chance to shoot.

There is a reason that long range shooting competitions (semi-auto) are dominated by AR platform rifles.

I say if the rifle has a nostalgic appeal go for it. If you are truly looking for the best long range rifle at that price you can do much better.

Rick
    Nope. Not looking for a best long range rifle at that price. It's an attractive rifle for weekend shooting at the range and developing my skills. .308 is cheap too. I can handle buying that every week.

Feedback Score
    Oh. BTW, I plan to run it stock. If anything I'll put the scope mount on it and get a Luepold. I like the idea of just using the iron sights on it though. I really like them.
    Last edited by Mike Marley; 06-22-14 at 10:34.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    308 is cheap? Compared to .338 Lapua maybe.

Either way, enjoy the rifle. Im certain it will meet your expectations.

Rick

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    I picked-up an all H&R parts built M1A on an SAI receiver and never fired it. At the time, I owned a PTR 91, DSA FAL, and DPMS .308. Wanting to get out of gun debt, I put it up for sale on a couple of forums. It didn't sale at the price I had into it. I decided to finally shoot it. It's currently the only .308 in my safe.

The other rifles were fine, but for me, I enjoyed shooting the M1A the most.

Go buy it. If you don't like it, buy something else. Life's too short not to "buy and try". And get over to the M14forum.com for some real M14 love.
    Last edited by Dump1567; 06-22-14 at 14:12.

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    I would take a FAL any day over an M14 clone, even if being left stock.

I'd take just about any modern AR-10 based or SCAR-H option over an M14 if I wanted to mount an optic.

If your goal is to own an M14, then you found a good choice. If your goal is to find a good 7.62/.308, there are much better choices.

In my experience, there are two kinds of people that like the M14 type:
    Those with emotional investment in the M14, and those that have little to no experience with the M14 and other comparable rifles.

At the end of the day, it's your money, spend it how you will, and I hope you enjoy your purchase.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk
    Jack Leuba
    Director of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company
    jleuba@knightarmco.com

Feedback Score
    Mike,

I am a highpower rifle shooter/competitor. I shoot an M1A & 308AR rifles for mid-range (600yards) & 1,000yard matches

A properly set-up M1A will shoot as well as or better than any 308 semi-auto rifle.

My M1A is a custom built supermatch variant on a Macmillan stock w heavy krieger barrel & NM mods.

Although your stated purpose does not include any matches, i would get the most expensive model you can afford.

Since you mentioned shooting up to 500yards, following are minimum requirements on your rifle

1. Trigger Job (4.5lb+ pull w minimal creep & clean break)
    2. M1907 type sling or web sling
    3. Properly fitted stock (to eliminate any rubbing of the action against the stock)
    4. NM sights...this is more of a want than a need, however, when shooting out to 500yards, you dont want 1MOA clicks...far too coarse. You want the 1/2 minute sights.
    5. Quality ammo.

I would get the NM version over the base model rifle. You will get items 1-4 with that package and its probably $150-$250 more than the base model and cheaper than adding these mods later on.

There are plenty of downsides to M1As just as there are with AR based rifles, FALs, SCARs etc. Downsides notwithstanding, don't be dissuaded from from buying an owning a rifle every American rifleman should own.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast