Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 LastLast

Thread: M110

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Can you fill us in as to why the decision was made to go with an 18X minimum maximum magnification, Kevin? (If OPSEC or some other factor allows you to share this info). Also, do you agree with it?

The Germans went with a 3-20×50 on their DMR. In the Designated Marksmen discussion thread, many felt this was too much scope for the role.
    "The secret to happiness is freedom, and the secret to freedom is courage." - Thucydides, c. 410 BC

Feedback Score
    KevinB, do any COTS scopes meet the new CSASS optic goals?

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)

Re: M110

Quote Originally Posted by Poomba View Post
    KevinB, do any COTS scopes meet the new CSASS optic goals?
    Threshold, not objective.

Typos brought to you via Tapatalk and autocorrect.
    Jack Leuba
    Director of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company
    jleuba@knightarmco.com

Feedback Score
    I'm guessing the magnification requirement is stemming from a desire to use the scopes as effective observation devices as well? No personal experience, but having read several books by snipers, it seems that the observation skills part is every bit as important as the shooting part when it comes to their skill set.

My own experience with my longer range shooting (up to about 800) would demonstrate some issues with mirage and scope jitter when shooting past about 14x (this could also be my relative lack of skill behind these rifles). I would imagine that a scope with a wide magnification range, say 3.5-20x, would be a good all-round scope for both observation at high magnification and then shooting at lower magnification.

I'm curious to see what comes out of this program.
    "Man is still the first weapon of war" - Field Marshal Montgomery

The Everyday Marksman

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Everyone wants a 1-100x, variable reticle, auto parallax correcting optic, with illuminated reticle, that is 6" long, crystal clear glass, weights 2 oz, and is $250.

However until that happens.

The 18x min was determined by the user jury based upon target discrimination requirements at 800m, that magnification was deemed necessary to be able to get PID on a target.

To get costing down on the scope - they dropped the illuminated reticle, desire was to get better quality glass.
    Kevin S. Boland
    Manager, Federal Sales
    FN America, LLC
    Office: 703.288.3500 x181 | Mobile: 407-451-4544 | Fax: 703.288.4505
    www.fnhusa.com

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    If a 1-8x scope would not be considered, if in addition to the monster scope, an offset RDS was addded, would that be sufficient for the shooter to sufficiently function in the rifleman's role also?
    Last edited by wild_wild_wes; 01-28-13 at 11:48.
    "The secret to happiness is freedom, and the secret to freedom is courage." - Thucydides, c. 410 BC

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by wild_wild_wes View Post
    If a 1-8x scope would not be considered, if in addition to the monster scope, an offset RDS was addded, would that be sufficient for the shooter to sufficiently function in the rifleman's role also?
    It would be a rather heavy solution.
    Jack Leuba
    Director of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company
    jleuba@knightarmco.com

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Actually the Army selected the T1 in IIRC the TNVC ring mount as the Sniper Quick Fire sight - so soon every sniper rifle will have a T-1 on it too.

To me, having run Dr Optic's on both TA01NSN's and 3.5-10x's "back in the day" they do not offer the same combat viability as using a red dot 1x in the primary optic.

the 12 O'Clock T1 gives the shooter the ability to get on it locate a tgt and pop into the optic still at magnification. - but IMHO is a poor close range method.

The 45Degree T1 gives a decent CCO to 200m or so - but not ideal.

IF I had spec'd a reticle for the optic - I would have put a donut in the reticle much like the H27D so you could have a clear defined aiming point at min magnification.

But I'm just me, fat guy behind a keyboard stuck in Excel hell.
    Kevin S. Boland
    Manager, Federal Sales
    FN America, LLC
    Office: 703.288.3500 x181 | Mobile: 407-451-4544 | Fax: 703.288.4505
    www.fnhusa.com

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by KevinB View Post
    But I'm just me, fat guy behind a keyboard stuck in Excel hell.
    Kevin,

I thought I saw you down here.

Be back later to chat about the program.
    pro-patria.us

Feedback Score
    Kevin are you guys ever going to fix the trigger I am getting sick of coding guns because the triggers won’t stay within spec.

Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 LastLast