Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: M110

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    a0Cake, not being critical on you, brother.

According to the M110's TM 9-1005-342-10 and the Expendable-durables list in TM 9-1005-342-23&P the Dewey one-piece rod is issued, and Rifle Bore Cleaner (RBC) and LSA are not only authorized but specified as useable used on the gun -- you're not locked-in to CLP. Bore guide's also issued.

If you don't have it you're supposed to order it. If the unit doesn't issue it claim it on your taxes (seriously, as required for work but not provided by employer).

The only thing I'd add would be an occasional Sweet's 7.62 de-coppering, but that's not in the book.

Old school, once you're out of Shooter's Choice or bore cleaner use automatic transmission fluid for cleaning and clean motor oil for lubing. By that time you should be ready for rotation home.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    KevinB

What is this scope of which you speek?
    "After I shot myself, my training took over and I called my parents..." Texas Grebner

"Take me with a grain of salt, my sarcasm does not relate well over the internet"

Jonathan Morehouse

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by sinister View Post
    a0Cake, not being critical on you, brother.

According to the M110's TM 9-1005-342-10 and the Expendable-durables list in TM 9-1005-342-23&P the Dewey one-piece rod is issued, and Rifle Bore Cleaner (RBC) and LSA are not only authorized but specified as useable used on the gun -- you're not locked-in to CLP. Bore guide's also issued.

If you don't have it you're supposed to order it. If the unit doesn't issue it claim it on your taxes (seriously, as required for work but not provided by employer).

The only thing I'd add would be an occasional Sweet's 7.62 de-coppering, but that's not in the book.

Old school, once you're out of Shooter's Choice or bore cleaner use automatic transmission fluid for cleaning and clean motor oil for lubing. By that time you should be ready for rotation home.
    Well I suppose your point is proven...because I never encountered a military issue Dewey Rod or bore guide when signing for the 110's pre-deployment. Who knows where they wound up. We got them new which is strange. Oh well.

Good point about the taxes. The stuff I bought is pretty much donated to the unit and I don't expect it back. I'd rather it stay with the guns and be put to use.

About the Motor Oil...I'm back stateside again but I'm with you 100%. A bottle of full synthetic was kept right beside every M2 we had and it worked out great. Haven't had to use ATF for cleaning but I'll keep it in the mental tool box. Thanks.
    Last edited by a0cake; 11-03-11 at 19:15.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ICANHITHIMMAN View Post
    KevinB

What is this scope of which you speek?
    Leupold has a new Mk6 3-18x40 H58 scope out. 34mm Tube

I have some pics - but they have other stuff in them so I can't post them yet.
    Kevin S. Boland
    Manager, Federal Sales
    FN America, LLC
    Office: 703.288.3500 x181 | Mobile: 407-451-4544 | Fax: 703.288.4505
    www.fnhusa.com

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by KevinB View Post
    Two years ago we offered the Magpul ACS collpasible stock to the Army as a LOP Solution.
    Is LOP a big issue?
    "The secret to happiness is freedom, and the secret to freedom is courage." - Thucydides, c. 410 BC

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by a0cake View Post
    Kevin, if you could convince the Army to put an SR-25 EMC in our hands we would be very grateful. 16'' is enough barrel. If I need to go further I'll take a M24 or M2010.
    You think 16" is enough?
    "The secret to happiness is freedom, and the secret to freedom is courage." - Thucydides, c. 410 BC

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by wild_wild_wes View Post
    You think 16" is enough?
    Yes, I surely do. Let's look at velocities out of the 20'' M110 vs. a 16'' M110 carbine. These numbers are KAC's data, BTW. An average of 10 shots of M118 LR 175 grain:

M110 20'' = 2556 FPS

M110 Carbine 16'' = 2476 FPS

80 FPS is not a game changer. The majority of our engagements last time around were <800M. There were a few 1K + engagements, but not many. I would have much preferred a shorter, lighter weapon walking up and down the mountains. Every shot I took with the full size M110, I could have taken with a 16'' barrel.

If during mission planning, METT-TC considerations indicate that that the need for precision capabilities will manifest at 1,200M + ranges, I have the XM2010 chambered in 300 WINMAG available.

I believe a 16'' KAC gun would better fit into the family of systems currently available to US Army snipers than the 20'' gun does.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by a0cake View Post
    Yes, I surely do. Let's look at velocities out of the 20'' M110 vs. a 16'' M110 carbine. These numbers are KAC's data, BTW. An average of 10 shots of M118 LR 175 grain:

M110 20'' = 2556 FPS

M110 Carbine 16'' = 2476 FPS

80 FPS is not a game changer. The majority of our engagements last time around were <800M. There were a few 1K + engagements, but not many. I would have much preferred a shorter, lighter weapon walking up and down the mountains. Every shot I took with the full size M110, I could have taken with a 16'' barrel.

If during mission planning, METT-TC considerations indicate that that the need for precision capabilities will manifest at 1,200M + ranges, I have the XM2010 chambered in 300 WINMAG available.

I believe a 16'' KAC gun would better fit into the family of systems currently available to US Army snipers than the 20'' gun does.
    I will be very interested to here Kevins responce as to what type of testing KAC has done with 16" barrels at ranges greater than 800M.
    "After I shot myself, my training took over and I called my parents..." Texas Grebner

"Take me with a grain of salt, my sarcasm does not relate well over the internet"

Jonathan Morehouse

Feedback Score
    I have a 20" SR-25 and a 16" EMC, and having shot both at 1000 yard fairly extensively, I cannot discern an advantage the 20" has over the 16" as it matters to the velocity of the projectile and the performance of 308 at that distance i.e. drop and wind. The only way for me to determine an advantage depends on which optic I'm running on either more than anything else.

If I was given the choice to take one into battle it would be the 16" EMC without hesitation. To me, there is no discernible difference in performance with very real advantages in size and weight.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by post tensioned View Post
    I have a 20" SR-25 and a 16" EMC, and having shot both at 1000 yard fairly extensively, I cannot discern an advantage the 20" has over the 16" as it matters to the velocity of the projectile and the performance of 308 at that distance i.e. drop and wind. The only way for me to determine an advantage depends on which optic I'm running on either more than anything else.

If I was given the choice to take one into battle it would be the 16" EMC without hesitation. To me, there is no discernible difference in performance with very real advantages in size and weight.
    Your assessment is dead on practically speaking. The rounds coming from the 16'' will obviously go transonic earlier than the 20'', but at 24/26'' is where you start seeing tangible benefits. I'll take 16'' over a 20'' any time when it comes to these KAC guns.
    Last edited by a0cake; 11-06-11 at 20:20.

Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast