Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: 12.5" Suppressed Precision Long Range gun.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

12.5" Suppressed Precision Long Range gun.

We went full TRIDENT yesterday and shot Pappabear's 12.5" BCM with M4-2000 (ACOG'd) at 500, 700, and 800 yards.

The 500 yard target is 9"X12"... The 700 and 800 target weren't quite double that size.

800 yards is where you might want a barrel longer than 12.5.
    Those hits were somewhat hard to get. It's stunning what you can get out of a short barrel.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Were all the hits consistent up until 800 yards? Sounds like a fun way to spend some time (and ammo).

Speaking of ammo, was it the 69gr handloads you guys have been using, or something else?
    All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent.

-Thomas Jefferson

Feedback Score
    104 (100%)
    Thanks for stealing my thunder, homie. I'll be seeing you guys in a bit and we can do some more shootin'.

Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    We went full TRIDENT yesterday and shot Pappabear's 12.5" BCM with M4-2000 (ACOG'd) at 500, 700, and 800 yards.

The 500 yard target is 9"X12"... The 700 and 800 target weren't quite double that size.

800 yards is where you might want a barrel longer than 12.5.
    Those hits were somewhat hard to get. It's stunning what you can get out of a short barrel.

Owner/Instructor at Semper Paratus Arms

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SemperParatusArms/

Semper Paratus Arms AR15 Armorer Course http://www.semperparatusarms.com/cou...-registration/

M4C Misc. Training and Course Announcements- http://www.m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?f=141

Master Armorer/R&D at SIONICS Weapon Systems- http://sionicsweaponsystems.com

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Yeah... The ammo was the 69gr SMKs. 22.9 grains of H322. They're not a super hot load. But they work pretty good with the ACOG reticle marks.

I think we were missing some shots at 700. 500 you could hit the little target as fast as you could get the reticle back on target.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    The crew from AZ don't f**k around Awesome to hear this stuff Mark, as I haven't yet shot north of 600yds yet w/ my 10.5" and all of a sudden feel inspired once again to go out and try some more of this distance shooting w/ a SBR.

The time I was doing a bit of this, I was using superformance 53gr. vmax to try and take advantage of it's laser like flat trajectory and increased velocity and found it to be highly accurate to 450-500yds without experiencing any malf's or problem from it in the 10.5"/carbine length gas(Hornady recommends shooting it IIrc in rifles over 18" with rifle length gas)

Your also using a great barrel length imho which is that 12.5" model. I like to refer to it as a SBR "outdoor" concept when run with a varible powered optic like a baby nxs or TR24, etc. I think others refer to this concept as a SBR "patrol" rifle.

I'd love to see this thread grow some legs, such a fun and very interesting topic of discussion, and one that has a ton of general misunderstanding that surround it.

You guys have more fun taking advantage of having awesome shooting pals(AZ crew once IG gets back in the nest), and a really huge desert as a back yard
    Last edited by ALCOAR; 10-16-11 at 15:27.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Hopefully Pappabear can post the pic of our hide he dug out in the hillside. We've got an 1100 yard valley that we take over every weekend.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Below are some iPhone Pics from our CopaHide.

Markus working the Dope

Mark Saying, "800 yards with a 12.5 is completely Retarded"

Me agreeing and grabbing a 7.62

Me trying to get my heels blown off

An empty marine camo blanket going "where is the hefty pretty faced boy with the beard- Only GUNZ can make blankets talk"

"Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    On the pic with me with flat heels, there are some trees about 500 and 600 hundred yards out. The mountain at the back is a perfect 1,000 yard shot. If your a Nutbag like Gunz and don't mind climbing to the top of mountain behind us to shoot, you could get further. Gunz doesn't much like to shoot 1,000 yards, he just like to shoot over me and Mark so we can feel the sizzle of lead. And sling my Lapua brass all over the mountain.

That shooting spot is sitting on a hill/mountain, but we dug it out to make a good shooting platform. The landscape is not ideal to lay on without a little work. That be the CopaHide!
    Last edited by Pappabear; 10-16-11 at 18:39.
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SteadyUp View Post
    Were all the hits consistent up until 800 yards? Sounds like a fun way to spend some time (and ammo).

Speaking of ammo, was it the 69gr handloads you guys have been using, or something else?
    All the hits consistent at 800 yards- NOPE. Wind will eat your ass alive with 69 grains at that range. You could figure your dope and hit hit hit and the wind would change and no "dink". 500 was pretty consistent, after that it gets real tuff to be consistent, if not impossible.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pappabear View Post
    Below are some iPhone Pics from our CopaHide.

Simply outstanding setup, freaking cold drink/hot eats party table...you guys have such an awesome overall setup out there. It makes a huge difference in all seriousness to stay hydrated as I find that it helps me maintain my concentration and fight fatigue that builds up so quickly when driving the rifles LR proned out.

Oh yeah, since you guys had 7.62 rifles out there how much more enjoyable and easy is it to drive that little 12.5" 5.56 LR vs. the 7.62 rifles. Shooting these SBRs at those crazy long distances like you guys are doing will only inevitably ruin/spoil you as I cannot imagine many more things in life as enjoyable and fun to do than that. Any more fun and enjoyment and you would be looking at a few felonies

Great pics, thanks for sharing guys...and again, I'd really enjoy seeing this thread stay current and with permission I will post some future reports now that I have been re-inspired once again to stretch my little shorty's legs asap.
    Last edited by ALCOAR; 10-16-11 at 19:51.

Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast