Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: 12.5" Suppressed Precision Long Range gun.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    The gun that never disappoints is the LMT MWS, I was on steel in two shots at 800. Mark and I take turns pinging with that gun. After I got the dope, mark hit 1st try.

I can tell you this, if I were in harms way in the desert, I would be right at home with a MWS, or a SR25 if Uncle Sam were buying
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    What optics were you using?

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pappabear View Post
    The gun that never disappoints is the LMT MWS, I was on steel in two shots at 800. Mark and I take turns pinging with that gun. After I got the dope, mark hit 1st try.

I can tell you this, if I were in harms way in the desert, I would be right at home with a MWS, or a SR25 if Uncle Sam were buying
    That's awesome to hear, especially considering that you shoot the hell outta that rifle and really use it in it's most effective capacity...i.e. long range precision shooting. That said, this rifle w/ the 13.5" barrel and an F/A FCG that may or may not be in use w/ SAS soldiers in Astan is a whole different asskicking animal I would imagine. My friend at LMT says its hard as hell to control in F/A though.

Are you guys gonna try some different loads besides Mark's not famous 69gr. SMK load. Mark must have figured out the perfect velocity in which to use with the incredibly finicky 69gr. SMK projectile. That's very impressive that you guys have such stellar results using it in your WOA barreled SPR, and then now have great success using it in a 12.5" CL barreled SBR. Besides the Hornady 68gr. HPBT, the 69gr. SMK is the most hit or miss projectile I know off as in one barrel shoots it great, and the next will have horrible results with it.

You guys ever think about getting a nice bullet trace cam setup with all the LR shooting y'all have been doing recently. If you are ever considering one, I highly suggest taking a look at the Sony Handi-Cam 60x 1080p HD camcorder as it will be my next one and most likely my last one. I have the 25x version of it currently, and then the 60x 480p SD version so now I see that if I just would have bought the one I recommended above I would have saved money and had the perfect cam for capturing LR shooting.

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    Guys, I am looking at BCM's SS 12.5" barreled upper for this exact reason.

But I really don't plan on going past 500 with it. Is there any reason to choose the SS over the CL? You guys appear to be doing just fine...
    Why do the loudest do the least?

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by TRIDENT82 View Post
    Oh yeah, since you guys had 7.62 rifles out there how much more enjoyable and easy is it to drive that little 12.5" 5.56 LR vs. the 7.62 rifles. Shooting these SBRs at those crazy long distances like you guys are doing will only inevitably ruin/spoil you as I cannot imagine many more things in life as enjoyable and fun to do than that. Any more fun and enjoyment and you would be looking at a few felonies
    Complete crap out... I mean.... I'm doing just as good with the 12.5 as I am with the Rem 700. And I'm doing it cheaper and faster (hit speed).

Why did I buy this Bolt Gun?... At least the 700 is throwing 175s... so there's more thump.

Quote Originally Posted by Eurodriver View Post

But I really don't plan on going past 500 with it. Is there any reason to choose the SS over the CL? You guys appear to be doing just fine...
    The CL shot 500 with ease. And that is a small target... I'm starting to like the ACOG. We're making shots on targets I can't even touch with carbine Irons.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Eurodriver View Post

Two ways to look at it. Both good. The CL barrels these days shoot very good. And the SS barrels last much longer than we once thought.
    I would go CL on a 12.5, its never going to be an accuracy based gun, but will shoot well enough. And there is no guarantee the SS will shoot better.
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I think I figgered out why 800 seemed to be a bitch of a shot.

I ran a trajectory chart and 700 is the last even hundred yard increment at which our bullet is still super sonic.

The bullet appears to be having transonic issues just past 700. So much for trying to make this 12.5 shoot to 1000 this weekend.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    90 (97%)
    this is just epic. I can get out to 1000 or more on the family farm, and Ive started producing flash targets similar to the MGM flash target, so I'm gonna have to set up a couple and see how far I can ring them from(luckily I can hang my 2/3 IPSC steel on it). Got a 12.5 BCM SBR, I'll slap my 3-9x40 on there and give it a whirl.
    Last edited by jwfuhrman; 10-18-11 at 16:25.
    JF Arms Company - Owner
    07/02 FFL/SOT

Sword & Shield Training Group - SSTG
    - Be the Sword & Shield for your community thru knowledge and skills.

----------------------
    EMT - Parkview DeKalb EMS

13 years of serving Northeast Indiana's citizens.
    ----------------------
    Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    We went full TRIDENT yesterday
    HAHAHAHAHA!

I was thinking about a 12.5 build..... I seem to be getting more interested.
    "Perfect Practice Makes Perfect"
    "There are 550 million firearms on this planet. That's one firearm for every 12 people. The question is... How do we arm the other 11?" Lord of War.
    "I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." Thomas Jefferson

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Damn, what do I have to do to get in to the Tucson Cool Guy club?

I used to have a spot up by Oro Valley but encroachment kinda puts a damper on that. Lately it's been either Pima Pistol Club or 3 Points, neither of which lets me do any real fun stuff. I need to stay home long enough to hit up one of the ACTS matches, but that doesn't help me for long range stuff.
    I'm not cool. I just do this stuff for fun.

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast