Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Cold weather sleeping bag recommendations

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    The MSS is still available in new condition at an affordable price and a bargain for what's included.

http://www.unclesamsretailoutlet.com...-iss-p/549.htm

Hard to beat for a system that fits a SHTF, car camping, winter bag for emergencies, in the car trunk if needed, etc. requirements. Weight be damned.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Just so you know, the sleeping bag ratings (at least the EU's EN13537 ratings, which I believe are the only "official" ratings around) assume that you are wearing a base layer and a hat inside the bag and are using a sleeping pad with R value of 4. Wearing less may mean the bag isn't as warm as its rating. For me, a cold sleeper, a bag is never as warm as its rating anyway. Individual "thermostats" can differ a lot.

Feedback Score
    59 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by peruna View Post
    For me, a cold sleeper, a bag is never as warm as its rating anyway.
    I've always found the ratings to be rather optimistic, even on the $1K+ bags.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave L. View Post
    This bag is badass. Excellent craftsmanship however, it doesn't compress as much as I hoped it would (compresses to about basketball size).
    So...
    I ended up calling Jerry Wigutow (CEO Wiggy's answers the phones). I told him I needed a more packable cold weather bag. He explained why I should order the FTRSS Over-bag, which by itself, is a 35 degree bag. The Over-bag also compresses to 1/3 the size of the Zero Degree Super Light. Combined the two bags are rated to -40.

Great guy, quality American-Made products.
    just read this again and see that his system mirrors the MSS. is there an advantage in weight (got to be, right?) or compressibility?

I bought whole MSS for $100 and it was claimed to be new. I didn't find anything to refute that. it is heavy but I think I will sell off the black inner bag and replace it with some other kind of bag. maybe a Wiggys if it's that much lighter...

edit: I want to add that any inner bag is going to have to be a synthetic fill as down relies on loft and the temp rating would be seriously compromised by the weight of an outer bag...
    Last edited by ra2bach; 07-22-14 at 18:06.
    never push a wrench...

Feedback Score
    +1 Military sleep system
    Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn.
    C. S. Lewis

Yes I even own the Magpul iPhone cover. Wanna make something of it?

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Wiggy's is having a good sale right now for those interested.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678