3 (100%)

Cold weather sleeping bag recommendations

Looking for one that can go below 20.

Thanks,

Celt
    Nullus amicus melior - Nullus inimicus perior

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I know the military "sleep systems" will work from experience. If you are tall (6'4"+) I would not advise one.

There are quite a few options out there and depending on your needs - weight, colors, size, price etc - it will be easy enough to find one. I wouldn't do internet shopping on stuff like this as I prefer to actually see the product before I buy it. Check out camping/backpacking/outdoorsy stores like REI.

http://www.snugpak.com/index.php?MenuID=160-131

That link will be a good start. They work well and compact pretty small.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by High Tower View Post
    I know the military "sleep systems" will work from experience. If you are tall (6'4"+) I would not advise one.

There are quite a few options out there and depending on your needs - weight, colors, size, price etc - it will be easy enough to find one. I wouldn't do internet shopping on stuff like this as I prefer to actually see the product before I buy it. Check out camping/backpacking/outdoorsy stores like REI.

http://www.snugpak.com/index.php?MenuID=160-131

That link will be a good start. They work well and compact pretty small.
    x2 on the "Wiggy's" system.
    Winning may not be everything, but the endorsements are better.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I have been using the Snugpak Elite 1 and Elite 3 (you can put them together if needed). The Elite 1 is the lightest warmest synthetic bag I have ever used (for it's pack size) and I really like it. The 3 is too warm for any type of indoor use. I usually use them unzipped because they work so well. They also manage moisture extremely well.
    Praise be to the LORD my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle. Psalm 144:1

Owner of MI-TAC, LLC .

@MichiganTactical

Feedback Score
    59 (100%)
    -Western Mountaineering
    -Feathered Friends
    -Mountain Hardwear ("Wraith" or "Ghost" come to mind)
    -Montbell

None will look "tactical" but these companies make very good bags.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Celt,

Are you packing it in or static?
    Is it a dry or wet environment?
    Is weight and size important?

Wiggys are tough, a bit heavy and bulky.

Kifaru only makes the regulator slick bag now. Their base bag and MOB are out of production...damn.

My current strategy is to factor in wearing my cold weather clothing (Wild things Happy Suit) inside the bag. I think this is same thinking the USMC is going towards in their new bag.

I had high hopes for the Guardian Sleep System from Bluewater/ADS but they don't seem to be for sale yet. I like the idea of a center zip bag with arm holes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jH-Fk...layer_embedded
    ParadigmSRP.com

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Iraq Ninja View Post
    My current strategy is to factor in wearing my cold weather clothing (Wild things Happy Suit) inside the bag. I think this is same thinking the USMC is going towards in their new bag.
    ...so now they get smart.

I never understood the logic (even though it worked) of designing a sleeping system that for best effect required you to get naked in order to keep warm...
    Why do the loudest do the least?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Eurodriver View Post
    ...so now they get smart.

I never understood the logic (even though it worked) of designing a sleeping system that for best effect required you to get naked in order to keep warm...
    I own several types of sleeping bags, and have used the issue sleep system and a vietnam era sleeping bag.

I've tried sleeping in ACU's, but respiration and sweat will damn near kill you once you step out the bag. Even bags with a waterproof/breathable membrane still feel humid inside by morning.
    Kein Mitleid Für Die Mehrheit
    What Happened to the American dream? It came true. You're looking at it.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by variablebinary View Post
    I've tried sleeping in ACU's, but respiration and sweat will damn near kill you once you step out the bag. Even bags with a waterproof/breathable membrane still feel humid inside by morning.
    For Fall, Winter, and Spring, my favorite clothing to wear in a sleeping bag is the Patagonia Capilene 2 long sleeve and pants. They manage moisture much better than any Under Armour type garments.
    Praise be to the LORD my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle. Psalm 144:1

Owner of MI-TAC, LLC .

@MichiganTactical

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by variablebinary View Post
    There is a trick to that... assuming you have a tarp, a cot, and a truck

The buttons on the tarp went down vertically from the bungee holding it to the truck, and the tarp was wrapped around the cot. It was right around freezing and I could sleep with the bag unzipped using it as a blanket.

Best few nights I ever spent in the field.
    Last edited by Eurodriver; 11-05-11 at 14:34.
    Why do the loudest do the least?

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast