Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Cold weather sleeping bag recommendations

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave L. View Post
    For Fall, Winter, and Spring, my favorite clothing to wear in a sleeping bag is the Patagonia Capilene 2 long sleeve and pants. They manage moisture much better than any Under Armour type garments.
    These days I just sleep in undies with an APFU shirt. ACU's get stuffed in a pillow sack so they are warm when you put them on, but dry.
    Kein Mitleid Für Die Mehrheit
    What Happened to the American dream? It came true. You're looking at it.

Feedback Score
    59 (100%)
    Although I'm only 6' tall, I always buy the "long" version of sleeping bags as that extra 6" in length provides a nice storage space at my feet for clothes that will already be warm when I put them on in the morning. When waking up in temperatures below 0*, having warm clothes to put on is worth carrying that extra 6" of bag.

Additionally, if a person is using a bag that isn't quite up to the task of the weather that is occurring, putting a couple of Nalgene bottles filled with hot water in the foot of the bag right before going to bed can help greatly, and will stay warm all night.

Lastly, it's a whole lot easier to partially unzip a -20* bag when it's -5* than it is to shiver all night in a 0* bag when it's -5*. I now try to always do the former as a result of too many nights doing the latter.

Feedback Score
    41 (98%)
    IMO the best way is layering, and make sure before you go to bed you are dry and have some clean clothes on. If you go to bed with sweaty nuts and feet all that moisture will cool down, stink up your bag, and just contributes to a bad sleep.

Yeah keeping clothes in the bag to put on the morning is a good trick.

As far as brands theres quite a few good ones. Ive used REI brand and North Face just fine. I would be an REI member if you are not already and buy it from them. They have excellent service and returns if anything should happen.

Also keep the bag stored draped over a cedar hanger and put some pieces of cedar in the bag, too. Unless you are allergic to it cedar is a natural anti bacterial source and will keep it fresh. Just take them out when you go to use the bag.

If the bag flattens out (compressed fill) a few golf balls in the dryer with the bag on low or no heat will restore the loft.

Feedback Score
    Looking for one that can go below 20.
    Iraq Ninja posted some good follow up questions. Anyone could name several good bags that rate below 20 degrees, but this is a broad query.

I own and use Wiggy's, Snugpak, and Mountain Hardware bags.

Wiggy 0 degree bag - The "Lamilite" insulation they use is effective for warmth and durability, however in my experience the bag is heavy and bulky compared to modern down-filled bags. If I were to have a static survival type site where I needed to hunker down and stay warm, the Wiggy's sleep system is fantastic. The lamilate insulation is designed to have the benefits of synthetic durabilty and the benefits of down warmth. However, if you plan to put on miles of backpacking, it is not ideal.

Mountain Hardware Phantom 0 - Use this bag in 0-40 degree weather. I have NEVER been cold in this bag. This statement is relative as I have only pushed it to 20 degrees in the Smokies. It packs tighter and lighter than most 20 degree bags, and performs well by itself even without a liner. It packs down tight in a Sea to Summit compression sack and is extremely light for high-mile backpacking trips. (don't get down bags wet)

Snugpak Merlin 32 degree bag - Recently camped out with my boy in 30 degree weather. My Merlin is packed 24/7 in my RAID pack. It's my go to... but... you will freeze your ass off if it is 30 degrees and all you have is this bag. I was using a Snugpak liner and I was still cold at 5am. It is survivable, but the "comfort" level of this bag is 40 degrees and this is true. This bag is lightweight, durable, and packs tight. (I know this is not relevant to your "20 degree bag" query but I thought I would throw it in)

I would recommend with any sleep system that you ad the factor of a quality sleep mattress. For light and fast trips I use a short (3/4 length REI insulated mattress. For comfy/cozy trips I add a Thermarest foam pad.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Have to agree with High Tower, the 3 layer military system with bivy sack is standard issue for a reason....it works. I went through an entire winter mountain training package in Bridgeport, CA with mine and while nothing compares to the comfort of a warm barracks room (note the sarcasm....) it kept me warm and dry enough to keep on keeping on. You can usually pick one up pretty reasonable at any surplus store or USCAV.

Feedback Score
    34 (100%)
    I have 3 different bags I use. Wiggy's, Mountain Hardwear & Snugpak.

I like the Wiggy's best for all round use. I was in a recent terrential downpour & even though the bag was WET I was warm.

I like this model for most applications:

Superlight
    http://wiggys.com/moreinfo.cfm?Product_ID=64
    If you layer it w/ FTRSS system it's heaven or even just layer sleeping clothing easy comfy warm to -20 degrees.

The weight is the only drawback (lamilite insulation) but not more than 10-20% more in weight comparatively.

The Mountain Hardwear is tough to beat BUT not as roomy cut and does not do as well when WET as the Wiggy's did.

I used a Snugpak in Trashcanistan & it sucked Dawg Balls big time. Lighter in weight than the others, it had cold spots, too tight a fit for my body etc...

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)
    This will also depend on how hot or cold a sleeper you are. For example, I used just the green "patrol" bag plus bivy from the MSS in high 20 degree temps (it was probably low 30's in the tent) with just thermal long johns, wool socks, and a beanie and was more than comfortable as far as temperature goes. I estimate I could have gone down into the lower 20's before I would have had to add layers...

Feedback Score
    Current trends for hikers and civvy outdoorsmen is lightweight backpacking. this dictates layering synthetic puffy coats, with 3/4 ultralight bags and ground cover as well as fleece.

they get the insulation value thru total dependance on synthetic fabrics that breathe very well and layering the clothing you carry for the worst expected weather with the lightweight bag. some outdoor knowledge on shelters and ground cover go a LONG way to reducing weight as well.
    My capacity for self deception is exceeded only by yours.

Feedback Score
    59 (100%)
    Base your expectations on what you have under you: a good R-value pad will negate a lot of heat loss. A poor pad and you might as well go out and lay naked on snow.

I sleep cold, and in Winter conditions in CO I use a Mountain Hardwear Ghost-SL, which does the trick quite well. I'd rather be so warm as to need to slightly unzip, than to shiver all night. I've tried both. I'll opt for the former every time.

Feedback Score

Not just the sleeping bag....

the booties and hood in this extreme cold weather system are a fantastic addition to whatever sleep system you use. My experience ( and I would imagine most people here) is that my feet and/or head are the parts that get cold. Used these on my last cold weather survival training, and it was the warmest and driest that I have ever stayed in severe weather. We were in temps ranging from -17 F to -30 F.

http://www.unclesamsretailoutlet.com...TEM-p/4029.htm

Look specifically at the booties and hood, like I mentioned. They dont take up to much space.

PS: I was sleeping in a snow cave, not a tent. No cot, just a 1/2" air matress.
    Last edited by Preliator; 03-18-13 at 17:58. Reason: need new link, old link had expired

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast