Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: USMC03's Rules for GLOCK Owners

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)

USMC03's Rules for GLOCK Owners

After seeing numerous new Glock owners modify their pistols, only to see their modifications start to cause malfunctions (drop in barrels, extra capacity magazine base plates, titanium firing pins, steel guide rods, etc, etc, etc).

After much frustration I wrote the following "Rules for Glock Owners". For the iniated it's old news, but may have some entertainment value. For those that don't "know better", they may learn something new. Enjoy:

"Jeff's Rules for Glock Owners"

I heard a wise woman once say: "It's in a man's blood to tinker with things".

I think it's in most of our blood to thinker with things in an attempt to make them better.

Glocks are one of those things in life that come "perfect" from the factory.....So if you have a Glock follow these simple rules....AND DON'T MESS WITH YOUR GLOCK!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jeff's rules for new Glock owners:

1) Get a Glock

2) Get a set of quality sights for it (ie. Henie, Straight 8's, XS Big Dot, Trijicon, etc).

3) Don't mess with anything else on the pistol.

4) Get PLENTY of ammo.

5) Shoot the heck out of your Glock.

6) Change the mag springs as needed and change the recoil spring with a factory recoil spring assemtly ($3 from Glock) every 5,000 rounds or so. Also change out the trigger return spring when you change out the recoil spring assembly.

That is everything you need to know about Glocks.

Semper Fi,
    Jeff

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Talk about bone stock?

I have the original sights, they work fine, I work fine...

But... I do have a threaded Jarvis barrel for my 19, to keep quiet...
    "Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known." - Carl Sagan

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    What about 3.5# connector and NY1 spring? A lot of people here seems to like this upgrade.

Feedback Score
    The only changes from factory on any of my Glocks is on my 23. 3M stair tread tape grip panels and Pearce grip base plates because the cutout on the front strap eats my pinky finger.

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by TacDoc
    What about 3.5# connector and NY1 spring? A lot of people here seems to like this upgrade.

The Department I work for has a strict policy against modifying the trigger.

If the gun is for self defense, I would recommend modifying the trigger in anyway.

I have reviewed a couple court cases over the years that were pretty good shoots, and trigger modification became a huge issue brough up by the defense. None of the cases were lost due to the trigger modification, but was was stated it became a huge issue, in some court cases it doesn't take much to tip the scales one way or the other. Thus I would rather leave the trigger alone and not have it be an issue, than modify the trigger and have it be just one more issue that I may have to fight if I were to have to use the pistol in defense of my live or a 3rd party.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I can tell you that I followed Jeff's Advice when I first got my G17. The only thing that was changed was the Stock sights to some Mepro Nite sights. It's been about 2 years later and a few thousands rds and His advice still holds true.

Don't worry about different triggers and springs and all that, it won't make you shoot better, your fooling yourself. get out and shoot and take a few classes, The stock 5.5# trigger on mine is just fine and I can usually whoop up on some one at the range who has a decked out one that can't shoot for Shite......

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by USMC03
    The Department I work for has a strict policy against modifying the trigger.

If the gun is for self defense, I would recommend modifying the trigger in anyway.
    Just to clarify, You meant to post "would not recommend" correct?

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by nickdrak
    Just to clarify, You meant to post "would not recommend" correct?

That is correct, I would NOT recommend modifying the trigger on a defense / duty gun.

Typo, thanks for catching it Nick.

Feedback Score
    One of my local Police Academy's policy is to have their armorer put the NY1 trigger spring in every Glock used there. I don't know if this is required for the regular PD or not. My friend failed to make the cut and the armorer was required to remove it before she was released. I assume they didn't want to be liable for a trigger mod. after they were employed by them.

She also had her stock recoil rod break at the breach end and cause her Glock to fail, would have been bad news on the street. I would estimate less then 1000 rounds fired.

Personally I would change the sights AND the recoil rod to a steel or tungston rod, and add the NY1 trigger if it's a CCW or duty weapon. Other than the guide rod I would not install any non-glock parts.

I have done the NY1 reigger spring and 3.5lb connector, and it is nice, but for range guns only.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Jeff,
    I would add changing out the slide lock spring (take down lever spring, not slide stop) when the trigger and recoil spring are replaced. The slide lock spring is probably the 2nd most common spring to break just not as often as the trigger spring.

Robb
    Chief Armorer for Elite Shooting Sports in Manassas VA
    Chief Armorer for Corp Arms (FFL 07-08/SOT 02)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast