Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Pigs

Feedback Score
    FWIW:
    If you want thin them out , the following is based on 6 years in Central Europe , 4 of them with NATO resident Bavarian or Hessian hunting licenes and a couple or 3 Belgian nonresident permits.
    Shoot the females , leave the males alone . It's a lot easier to post than it is to do . The ideal within the German system is based on thinning out the young females very hard and leaving the males alone until they are harvest ripe . Within that system the ideal top tier trophy boar is a very big animal with large tusks just past his prime. The ideal conservation trophy would be an old , over ripe boar , buck ram , or stag that is well past his prime , has eluded hunters for a season or two ( or more ) and is likely to go to waste if not taken down . It's a completely different mindset than ours but it works well for them.
    Germany has a lot of pigs , significant but limited property & enviornmental damage and historically , the hunting rocked. Obviously the US wild pig situation is completely different.

The temptation is too shoot every pig you see . IMO that will never work . The hogs get smart too fast and they can multiple faster than they can be killed indiscriminately . Besides , the sows are better groceries . Dead pigs make great hog bait , but just leaving dead pigs laying around unattended ( not covered by fire periodically ) is completely self defeating . More high grade food equals faster multiplying . Hogs move around a lot , which makes controling them even tougher. Pigs in the US are likely to be a significant PITA for a long time.
    FWIW and good luck.
    Last edited by A-Bear680; 10-22-11 at 09:43. Reason: Clarity.
    "... in common use at the time... for all lawful purposes... "

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Trapping is the best way to decimate the population as fast as possible. A buddy in South Ark/North Texas built a 20' x 8' trap out of an old low goose neck trailer. He welded angle iron about every 4 feet and put heavy fencing on the sides and top. He put a door at the back on a hinge that closed to a 45 degree angle. So a piggy push in but not get out. He left it out and over a week trapped 16 hogs. On the second night he had 4 hogs in the trap and one walking around trying to get in. From there a 22 mag rifle makes for A LOT of tasty bacon.

Next on the effective list is someone with hog dogs that knows how to work them at night. More fun than trapping and more effective then trying to walk around and find them yourself.

Feedback Score
    I have zero experience with trapping hogs . , but that sounds good to me. The innards could make good bait in & around the trap.It might be worthwhile to turn a male loose from time to time.
    Sounds crazy , but hogs will draw hogs and a live wild decoy that came back to the trap from time to time could be very effective.
    Last edited by A-Bear680; 10-22-11 at 12:25.

Feedback Score
    It's not too complicated OP. Just set up some bait, post up, and pop em behind the ear at dusk.

Feedback Score
    Save your money on the feeder and just dig a hole (post hole) about 3' deep, put some corn in and a little water. Fermenting corn will draw piggies from afar.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Wiggity View Post
    It's not too complicated OP. Just set up some bait, post up, and pop em behind the ear at dusk.
    A good scope with a big front end can extend dusk for a surpriseingly long time. Legal shooting for deer species in both Hessia & Bavaria was an hour before sunup and and an hour after sundown. Pigs could legally be shot 24 hours a day . Germans would team up and basically camp out in those treehouse hunting stands all night , especially during a full moon with snow on the ground. A good team could put some pigs on the ground . No snow in your state , but any kind of a light-colored background can make a difference , even if it's only a couple of minutes. I wouldn't even try any kind of white light : worse than useless , IMO.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by TomD View Post
    Save your money on the feeder and just dig a hole (post hole) about 3' deep, put some corn in and a little water. Fermenting corn will draw piggies from afar.
    I agree.

If you don't want to hunt them down, I am sure there are plenty of hunters near you who will love to do it.

The Iraqis have a unique way of killing the few hogs they have- they electrocute them at the watering holes by using generators!
    ParadigmSRP.com

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by J-Dub View Post
    If you really want to get rid of them, start trapping.

If you want to have fun, shoot them.
    exactly

Look into a "figure 6" or "9" trap (depending on where you're standing) its made from cattle/hog panels. It allows them get in contenously, but doesnt let them out.

If you dont know, wild hogs are some damn fine eating.

Feedback Score

Dogs for Hogs

You can usually find someone with dogs that are especially trained to "run" hogs. Internet search would be a good idea. I hunt in Ms myself and have seen the damage hogs do. I use to see alot of deer, but I belive the hogs have moved them out of my area.....which is a shame.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Get in touch with BayedSolid depending on where you live, they should be able to point you to an experienced hog dogger in your state. My uncle works for TR, and has some of the best hog dogs there are.

Nothing more exciting than jumping in the fray with a pissed pig, 2 pitbulls, 4 mountain curs and a bowie knife.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast