Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: antibiotics and pain meds

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hmac View Post
    I cannot envision any circumstance where the casual and ignorant administration of an antibiotic would be worth the risk.

As for possession (let alone administration) of scheduled narcotic pain medication without a DEA license or valid prescription.... . That goes way beyond stupid.

If you're not a medical professional of some kind working under the stipulations of your license or certification, you have no business "treating people" with medication for anything.
    This isn't about treating anyone else, at least not how I interpreted it. This was about keeping a personal emergency supply.

There's nothing casual or ignorant about this. For everyday life, people should go to their doctors and get treated for their conditions and get the proper medication for the specific condition. I don't condone people self-medicating. What I thought we were talking about was some "smarter than your average bear" people having supplies on hand just in case.

It's fine if you don't agree.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    After you've completed medical school, all you need to do is apply for a DEA license.

Otherwise dispensing medications without understanding the pharmacokinetecis, dosing, and potential drug interactions is not only illegal, but stupid.
    This... after 3.5 years of medical school, I still have quite a bit to learn. You don't just take antibiotics because you have an infection. Certain drugs are good for certain bugs, and others don't cover as well, or at all. Without knowing what bacteria is causing the infection (assuming it is a bacterial infection) you are shooting in the dark. Also, not taking the right dosage for the right amount of time could kill off your natural flora while not effectively treating the pathologic bug, thus developing resistant/superbugs. This is not even addressing the caustic effects of antibiotics if taken incorrectly. Unfortunately it's not as simple as "if some is good, then more must be better." And sometimes the good is not necessarily the right good.
    Last edited by ROGOPGEAR; 10-22-11 at 11:05.

Feedback Score
    I totally agree with Hmac.
    OP, nobody has business holding or dispensing meds without
    direction from a licensed provider, that includes physicians. It is illegal in all 50 states.
    Mods should lock this thread.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    While I echo the concerns expressed already, antibiotics should be openly discussed, especially between medical professionals here.
    Illegally acquiring them should not.

I carried the combat pill packs overseas and we bought antibiotics off the local market. Primary care was not a five minute ambulance trip away and we had medically trained folks, but no docs.

If you have ever seen someone loose an eye from an infection related to shrapnel, you know how important antibiotics are in austere environments.

I never had a problem bringing back non narcotic prescription drugs. I think the Federal law still allows you to bring in 50 dosage units for personal use. State laws can be a problem though. If someone is going to bring you up on charges for possessing antibiotics, you probably did something else worse and they are tacking on a charge.

I am not worried about getting busted by a cop who finds a 800mg Brufen tab in my ash tray
    ParadigmSRP.com

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Iraq Ninja View Post
    While I echo the concerns expressed already, antibiotics should be openly discussed, especially between medical professionals here.
    Illegally acquiring them should not.

I carried the combat pill packs overseas and we bought antibiotics off the local market. Primary care was not a five minute ambulance trip away and we had medically trained folks, but no docs.

If you have ever seen someone loose an eye from an infection related to shrapnel, you know how important antibiotics are in austere environments.

I never had a problem bringing back non narcotic prescription drugs. I think the Federal law still allows you to bring in 50 dosage units for personal use. State laws can be a problem though. If someone is going to bring you up on charges for possessing antibiotics, you probably did something else worse and they are tacking on a charge.

I am not worried about getting busted by a cop who finds a 800mg Brufen tab in my ash tray
    Thank you. This is exactly what I'm talking about.

In a survival situation, when medical care is unaccessable or unavailable, having some antibiotics can possibly save your life.

I am not talking about people running around and self administering drugs under normal conditions.
    Last edited by uwe1; 10-22-11 at 16:58.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by uwe1 View Post
    Thank you. This is exactly what I'm talking about.

In a survival situation, when medical care is unaccessable or unavailable, having some antibiotics can possibly save your life.

I am not talking about people running around and self administering drugs.
    Yes, the military faces situations around the globe wherein the rules at home go out the window. I have no problem with the scenario Iraq Ninja describes, in fact I applaud it. The military has been dispensing morphine and antibiotics since the invention of sulfa powder. They study it and adapt it and generally address the problem in a totally rational way for a given set of circumstances.

The exigencies of war don't apply at home.

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Yes, the military faces situations around the globe wherein the rules at home go out the window. I have no problem with the scenario Iraq Ninja describes, in fact I applaud it. The military has been dispensing morphine and antibiotics since the invention of sulfa powder. They study it and adapt it and generally address the problem in a totally rational way for a given set of circumstances.

I don't think we have much of a disagreement except that I happen to think that in austere environments, whether at home or abroad, it would be wise to have antibiotics on hand.

I recognize the inherent dangers, but sometimes, doing nothing is not an option.

Just my 25 cents....

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    They don't apply now. I assumed the question was focused on an extended SHTF scenario. In which the common support structure of hospitals, doctors and the corner drug store were not available. So in preparation for that scenario what is the best way of legally obtaining antibiotics and pain killers. If a legal way exists. I'd guess any advice or documents on how best to store and dispense the medicine would also be welcome.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Am I mistaken in thinking that the more people have the ability and means to provide for themselves, both medically and physically, the better off they are, esp. in extended austere situations such as Hurricane Katrina and the subsequent flooding.

Hurricane comes in, knocks out power and downs power lines in the roads and scatters debris, leaving no passable route to the local hospital if need be. Then, just casually, you cut your foot on something. No big deal. Low level flooding begins. Storm drains, septic tanks, and sewage pipes begin mixing with the rising water. Lower floor of your home begins to take on water, even just 6-7 inches.

Well that not so serious cut on your foot, is now a breeding ground for severe bacterial infections. Septicemia, E. Coli, Staph, a number of awful, highly life threatening infections if left untreated.

I believe the death rate for Septicemia is around 50%... so I think its advisable to have some type of antibiotic around to ward off infections before it gets to that stage...even if its just neosporin
    Last edited by Reagans Rascals; 10-22-11 at 18:07.
    When you can't make them see the light, make them feel the heat.. - Ronald Reagan

smoke and drink and screw..that's what I was born to do.. - Steel Panther

Feedback Score
    You can buy fish and bird antibiotics from Lambert vet supply online. It is the same as sold for humans and yes I checked with a vet and a pharmacist. They have tetracycline and doxycycline. But don't just take it because you have a cold or the flue.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast