Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: G2 w/ no VFG?

Feedback Score

G2 w/ no VFG?

I have a plane jane 6920 that I plan to put a railed forearm and light on. I'm not really a fan of VFG's and hope that I can find a way to run a simple G2 without one.

All of the mounting options I see for a G2 make it look easy to run with a thumb while holing a VFG. Can a person run a similarly mounted G2 without a VFG?

Sorry if this is a stupid question. Thanks for your help.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Sure. I have a G2 in a VTAC mount on the SF rail on my carbine alone. It works quite well for me in the roughly 11 o'clock position, but ymmv. My brother just uses the SF that clamps under the barrel and a tape switch, and he seems to like that as well.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

G-2 with no VFG

Quote Originally Posted by roadstar View Post
    I have a plane jane 6920 that I plan to put a railed forearm and light on. I'm not really a fan of VFG's and hope that I can find a way to run a simple G2 without one.

All of the mounting options I see for a G2 make it look easy to run with a thumb while holing a VFG. Can a person run a similarly mounted G2 without a VFG?

Sorry if this is a stupid question. Thanks for your help.
    Remember there are no stupid questions, I just did the very same thing on a gun I built and wanted to go without any railed forend. I bought a Midwest Industries front sight mount and put my G-2 into a 1" Weaver ring. I put it all together and found the best light position for me, once this was done I took it all apart again and re-did it using lock-tite on all screws. The light sits right at 10:00 o clock and works great for me in this position, YMMV. Give it a try it may work for you as well.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by roadstar View Post
    Yes, you can.

In fact, Larry Vickers ran his weapon that way during the low light course.

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    I am a right handed shooter, do not use a VG and run my light at the 9 O'Clock position. I activate the light using the thumb on my left hand.

C4

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    G2 on a rail here, too, at the 6:00. If the mount is tall enough, one can grip it like a VFG and activate it with the heel of the hand.
    2012 National Zumba Endurance Champion
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Steamlight makes a polymer chuck of rail you can drill and bolt thru a standard handguard (which is what I did on a 10.3 with standard handguards) and add a G2 via a ring mount.
    Kevin S. Boland
    Manager, Federal Sales
    FN America, LLC
    Office: 703.288.3500 x181 | Mobile: 407-451-4544 | Fax: 703.288.4505
    www.fnhusa.com

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    The Streamlight rail looks like this.

Chief Armorer for Elite Shooting Sports in Manassas VA
    Chief Armorer for Corp Arms (FFL 07-08/SOT 02)

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    One caveat on the polymer rail, esp the Streamlight: Ensure the ring positively engages the rail, preferably along a substantial portion of it's length. Some of the rings out there (such as a conventional 1" scope ring) have insufficient engagement, and simple break off the rail when force is applied.

The range of rail dims in the polymers has been a problem for me, too, depending on the mount.

I've had much better luck with the aluminum bolt-on rails.
    2012 National Zumba Endurance Champion
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Feedback Score
    GG&G makes metal rails for attachment on the forend.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast