Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: Be a good student

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Treehopr View Post
    Don't forget:

Groupie Guy- Guy who thinks that because he's taken x # of classes with a certain instructor then he's way better than the students who haven't taken a class with that instructor. Usually fond of saying "in this one xxx class I was in...", closely related to:

Assistant Instructor Guy- who spends more time watching and correcting other students than he does on his own lane or target.
    Now those two I have seen!

From the original list, really I've usually only ever seen variations on quiet guy - though I have had recent opportunity to meet a variation on cammo-man...

Quote Originally Posted by Treehopr View Post
    Thick skin and a sense of humor should be on the gear list.
    This is an important part of "being a good student". I have read some threads where individuals were going on and on about some of the stuff that LAV had said in one of his classes - and they themselves had never been in one of Larry's classes.

It's not a big deal. It's humorous. It's meant to get your attention. The overwhelming majority of participants have some type of military in their background, and many are LEO's contractors, active duty, etc. Most of these guys are used to this sort of thing. You can't be a delicate lily and expect to participate in a group comprised mostly of Alpha types. If you can't take criticism or you feel yourself about to tear up because the instructor asked you how "the window tastes" - maybe you shouldn't be doing this kind of training.

Be a good student, cowboy up, roll with the punches and laugh with the rest of the students. If your instructor is calling you some creative names, it's because he's trying to get your attention in order to help you.
    Last edited by KevinB; 11-24-07 at 08:53.

Feedback Score
    So billiards isn't gunfighting, and motorcycle racing isn't SCUBA -- but it's all Life.

And no matter who we are, regardless of skill or experience, we're always "that guy." Always.

Failing to recognize that is an illusion called ego.

Everyone has something to learn. Everyone has something to teach. Every experience, every discipline carries lessons.

There's value in maintaining an openness to those lessons, both for student and teacher.

After all, like Robert Pirsig said, "The real cycle you're working on is a cycle called yourself."

YMMV...but I doubt it.
    KintlaLake
    KintlaLake Blog

"Blasphemy is an epithet bestowed by superstition upon common sense." (Robert Green Ingersoll)

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by KevinB View Post
    Not in the gunfighting arena...

In an environment where you have to train with a teammate (and you as you guys rotate) in a chair in the room thru live breaches - you will either get comfortable - or wont be there.
    I don't want to be within miles of someone with unsafe habits. I was just commenting on the test. How many times have you missed "easy" shots during training? I'm sure it has happened.

Speaking of the test. I just got back from the range and I was able to pass it the first try. I don't think I should be in any intermediate or advanced classes.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Roger -- I was more pointing to the issue that - you can pooch a drill and still be safe.

By and large I think most people arrive well prepared for courses. Grants post is not news to most of the board members.
    Kevin S. Boland
    Manager, Federal Sales
    FN America, LLC
    Office: 703.288.3500 x181 | Mobile: 407-451-4544 | Fax: 703.288.4505
    www.fnhusa.com

Feedback Score
    I've only been in one set of classes that had a qualfication test at the end that made a difference between whether or not your certificate said, "successfully completed" vs. "attended." Of course, knowing you passed or failed was a lot more important than the piece of paper.

Both tests (pistol and carbine) required 100% hits (on an index card) of the ten rounds specified for each drill. One miss, even a close one, was a failure, as was failing to perform any of the specified skills properly or going over the alotted time. It was done at the end of the class when everyone was beat tired. As usualy, I was the one who suffered the most from the heat and the exertion.

Still, I really liked it. The whole point isn't to trip-up people who are otherwise good shooters. The point is to see how well you can perform under the stress of being exhausted combined with as much external stress as possible applied. Either you can do it on demand when you're at your worst or you can't.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by C4IGrant View Post
    we had people that couldn't follow BASIC instruction, couldn't keep their finger off the trigger when clearing them resulting in an ND and basically just couldn't shoot to save their lives.
    C4

That ND impacted about a meter from my foot. It was addressd by the instructor, but I took it as a reminder to watch my own ass a little more closely in regards to the people around me.

Murphy and Walter Mitty live on the training ground.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Thanks for this topic guys.

While I've taken a few local classes I would never attend an advanced course taught by some of the world's premieres just to waste my money, others and their time.

If and when I take a class by LAV or PR or the likes, it will be their more basic courses...and I'll keep taking those til I can do everything we covered like clockwork.

I know my boundaries and I know I'm not prepared enough for a low light class.

Once again...thanks for all the helpful posts in this thread.
    Professional Babysitter

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910