Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: This little piggy... got dead

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Watrdawg View Post
    Maybe I'm wrong but something I have been wondering about in this case. mtdawg169 shot the hog with a FMJ bullet. Couldn't this be compared to using a solid bullet on dangerous game. It sounds as if the 9mm FMJ's behaved like a solid would. If I remember right the first shot went through to the opposite side and broke the leg of the hog. The other 2 shots behaved the same also. Now I'm not advocating the use of 9mm FMJ as a hunting round but in this case, luckily, the round behaved like a solid would on a Cape Buffalo. I know i may be reaching but the similarities are there.
    Over the course of this discussion, I have wondered the same thing. Taking the shields that are present on a mature boar into account, I'm not sure that a +P or 147 gr defensive load would have had the same results, as penetration would have been very different. I'm not advocating for 9mm fmj as an appropriate hunting round. But it has raised the question in my mind as to how effective a good defensive load would have been under these circumstances. As I stated earlier, I wasn't out "hunting" with a 9mm handgun and I'm not advocating for it either. I simply used what was available to dispatch a much maligned nuisance animal from our property.

Feedback Score
    I reload both my 9mm and SIG 357 with the same bullets for hunting, Hornady 124 grain XTP hollowpoints, and have taken dozens of hogs with both handguns (9mm Browning Hi-Power & SIG P-226 in .357SIG) at ranges up to 40 yards.

Out of 25 or so kills on hogs up to 225 pounds, only two have required a coup de grace follow up shot when I got to the carcass. I have also shot numerous hogs up to 425 pounds with my Thompson Center .44 MAG with 300 grain Hornady XTP reloads with similar results.

As always, with any weapon or wildlife, proper shot placement is key for a lethal kill and bottom line is if there is no available terminal shot placement, there is no shooting, unless someone's life is threatened.

This large sow took a 9mm handload from my Browning in the spinal column for an instant kill at 35 yards:

This large boar took a .357SIG handload from my P-226, all that was left were some oysters:

When handgun hunting for hogs, I always have a backup rifle or shotgun on me....
    Last edited by SkyPup; 10-27-11 at 13:16.

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SkyPup View Post
    I reload both my 9mm and SIG 357 with the same bullets for hunting, Hornady 124 grain XTP hollowpoints, and have taken dozens of hogs with both handguns (9mm Browning Hi-Power & SIG P-226 in .357SIG) at ranges up to 40 yards.

Out of 25 or so kills on hogs up to 225 pounds, only two have required a coup de grace follow up shot when I got to the carcass. I have also shot numerous hogs up to 425 pounds with my Thompson Center .44 MAG with 300 grain Hornady XTP reloads with similar results.

As always, with any weapon or wildlife, proper shot placement is key for a lethal kill and bottom line is if there is no available terminal shot placement, there is no shooting, unless someone's life is threatened.

This large sow took a 9mm handload from my Browning in the spinal column for an instant kill at 35 yards:

This large boar took a .357SIG handload from my P-226, all that was left were some oysters:

When handgun hunting for hogs, I always have a backup rifle or shotgun on me....
    Wow, I didn't expect to see that. Those are some big hogs. I'm curious, what shot placement do you use with that load?

Feedback Score
    Spinal column, when hit it takes out entire 2-3 vertebrae for instant kill, on necropsy there is a hole in the spine about the size of a fist!

Feedback Score
    Here is the entrance wound from a #8126N Hornady TAP LE 75 grain BTHP at 175 yards for an instant kill:

Tell me that is not a lethal wound....

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SkyPup View Post
    Here is the entrance wound from a #8126N Hornady TAP LE 75 grain BTHP at 175 yards for an instant kill:

Tell me that is not a lethal wound....

That's the entrance wound? Damn. I've shot hogs with the 75 gr. TAP training ammo with very good results, but I've not seen anything quite like that.

Feedback Score
    Yeah, that is the entrance wound....

Went out the other side breaking two ribs for minimal meat loss.

That is why I take lung shots with the rifle, less meat loss and ease of cleaning as the entire pig is exanguinated into the thoracic cavity and no blood dripping during cleaning until I cut the diaphram.
    Last edited by SkyPup; 10-27-11 at 19:42.

Feedback Score
    Here is one for ya

Two Mexicans are stuck in the desert after crossing into the United States , wandering aimlessly and starving. They are about to just lie down and wait for death, when all of a sudden Luis says.........

"Hey Pepe, do you smell what I smell. Ees bacon, I theenk."

"Si, Luis, eet sure smells like bacon. "

With renewed hope they struggle up the next sand dune, & there, in the distance, is a tree loaded with bacon.

There's raw bacon, there's fried bacon, back bacon, double smoked bacon ... every imaginable kind of cured pork.

"Pepe, Pepe, we ees saved. Ees a bacon tree."

"Luis, maybe ees a meerage? We ees in the desert don't forget."

"Pepe, since when deed you ever hear of a meerage that smell like bacon...ees no meerage, ees a bacon tree."

And with that, Luis staggers towards the tree. He gets to within 5 metres, Pepe crawling close behind, when suddenly a machine gun opens up, and Luis drops like a wet sock. Mortally wounded, he warns Pepe with his dying breath,

"Pepe... go back man, you was right, ees not a bacon tree!"

"Luis, Luis mi amigo... what ees it? "

"Pepe.. ees not a bacon tree. Ees

Ees

Ees

Ees

Ees a ham bush...."

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567