Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: What type of 5.56 round for a WROL situation.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Failure2Stop View Post
    6" of penetration directly into the heart/lungs with that kind of frag pattern will readily drop a dude. I'm not chest thumping here, but I've seen me do it.
    The projectile will get through and cause significant damage. Of course, it can be improved upon, and it isn't what I would consider optimal, which is why I recommended going with one of the recommended loads in DocGKR's thread, in which he makes it pretty clear that the best balance of performance from a 5.56 gun is one of the barrier blind rounds.
    A hurried post on my part. My sentence should have been more complete in saying ... "ain't looking so good vs the barrier blind type bullets".
    Otherwise, I concur with your assessment.
    I will note that if anything else was changed, as in add very heavy clothing behind the chest rig, or have an arm, twig, whatever get in the way before the bullet gets to the mag pouch, you might not get the 6" of penetration noted on the test.
    I prefer to not cut things this close if I don't have to.
    Last edited by tpd223; 11-02-11 at 08:48.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tpd223 View Post
    A hurried post on my part. My sentence should have been more complete in saying ... "ain't looking so good vs the barrier blind type bullets".
    Otherwise, I concur with your assessment.
    I will note that if anything else was changed, as in add very heavy clothing behind the chest rig, or have an arm, twig, whatever get in the way before the bullet gets to the mag pouch, you might not get the 6" of penetration noted on the test.
    I prefer to not cut things this close if I don't have to.
    Sorry for a necro post but unless you have a 5.56 muzzleloader its why god created follow up shots. If I feel the need to shoot he's getting two. I've seen way too many scary movies to get emotional about ammo conservation in my 30 rd mag.
    "I know enough about a lot but enough to get me in trouble none the less." Me

Quote Originally Posted by C4IGrant View Post

Believe me, I know about not doing the "popular thing." Be a gear and gun dealer, go onto a tactical gun forum and tell folks to STOP buying crap they don't need.

C4

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghost__1 View Post
    Sorry for a necro post but unless you have a 5.56 muzzleloader its why god created follow up shots. If I feel the need to shoot he's getting two. I've seen way too many scary movies to get emotional about ammo conservation in my 30 rd mag.
    But if you're using the wrong ammo, you may just be pissing in the wind when you dump your 30 round mag.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by WS6 View Post
    But if you're using the wrong ammo, you may just be pissing in the wind when you dump your 30 round mag.
    Once again shot placement has way more effect on the outcome then ammo by a lightyear. I've seen how easily underpowered wolf fmj an HP punch through common steel. Granted it wasnt milspec 400 series armor plate but the steel had no problem disintegrating handgun ammo without problem.
    Keep in mind these are not barrier blind even. I think to many people put emphesis on ammo. I seen green tip go through targets like a laser beam as well so there is no magic bullet. I do agree with you just had to play a little devil advocate.

Believe me, I know about not doing the "popular thing." Be a gear and gun dealer, go onto a tactical gun forum and tell folks to STOP buying crap they don't need.

C4

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghost__1 View Post
    Once again shot placement has way more effect on the outcome then ammo by a lightyear. I've seen how easily underpowered wolf fmj an HP punch through common steel. Granted it wasnt milspec 400 series armor plate but the steel had no problem disintegrating handgun ammo without problem.
    Keep in mind these are not barrier blind even. I think to many people put emphesis on ammo. I seen green tip go through targets like a laser beam as well so there is no magic bullet. I do agree with you just had to play a little devil advocate.
    Remember the post on here a year or two back where an officer in Texas was killed after dumping 30 Winchester BST's into a vehicle before the offender fired back and killed him?

There is ineffective ammo, depending on the situation.

Feedback Score
    Once again shot placement has way more effect on the outcome then ammo by a lightyear. I've seen how easily underpowered wolf fmj an HP punch through 1/4" common steel. Granted it wasnt milspec 400 series armor plate but the steel had no problem disintegrating handgun ammo without problem.

ETA That statement was in no way questioning YOUR training but thought it was important and in no way am I saying that ammo in general isn't just that people have a way of under estimating the power of a 55 or 70 grain projectile at over 2000 fps. I just have a belief that if its worth shooting once its worth shooting twice min. Easily obtainable in most applications with a 30 rd mag regardless of what's stocked on it. Mil? That's a different story.
    Last edited by Ghost__1; 11-17-11 at 00:45.

C4

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Remember the post on here a year or two back where an officer in Texas was killed after dumping 30 Winchester BST's into a vehicle before the offender fired back and killed him?

There is ineffective ammo, depending on the situation.
    That's not exactly what happened in that fight.

Tactics was the real issue. Although I agree that the Winchester BST isn't a great choice for police duty use, the position of the suspect was behind the engine block, they would have needed a .50BMG to dig him out from where he had taken cover.

I have noted in a few shootings locally that Wolf is surprisingly barrier blind. It's not a great choice wound ballistics wise, but it really doesn't get any worse after going through cars and houses.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by tpd223 View Post
    I have noted in a few shootings locally that Wolf is surprisingly barrier blind. It's not a great choice wound ballistics wise, but it really doesn't get any worse after going through cars and houses.
    Some friends of mine use Wolf 55gr Copper H/P's on wild hogs down in Texas over the past five years and have reported that dozens of times when they shot at hogs on the run through one and two inch diameter thickets that the 55gr H/P bullets penetrated the thickets and took down the Hogs.

Now the bullets they dug out were not pretty but they appeared to have expanded or broke apart. They also stated that Jacket/Core separation ran about 50% but penetration was good enough to stop the hogs.
    Last edited by PA PATRIOT; 11-17-11 at 20:30.
    We are all inclined to judge ourselves by our ideals; others, by their acts.

Feedback Score
    Affordability is a big issue. It is one thing to have 100 rounds of high quality man-stopping ammo. Laying in a supply of 20,000 rounds of it is another matter entirely, which is what the WROL (SHTF) question would seem to relate to.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Shabazz View Post
    Affordability is a big issue. It is one thing to have 100 rounds of high quality man-stopping ammo. Laying in a supply of 20,000 rounds of it is another matter entirely, which is what the WROL (SHTF) question would seem to relate to.
    Exactly and the mk318 has been falling in line with m885, soon to be the preferred round for stock piles. Decent barrier blind, much more powerful than wolf or bonded JSP .223, and better with shorter barrels.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123