Thread: Doe with a bow

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)

Doe with a bow

The deer season started here in September and the gun season opener was two weeks ago. I've been hunting a couple of times during the bow season, but never had a good opportunity to release an arrow. I went hunting yesterday and took the rifle out in the morning. With the rut getting started here, I passed a couple of does in the morning.

After the morning hunt, I took a quick scouting trip. I found some white oaks dropping acorns and quickly set up a climbing stand. I slipped out as quietly & quickly as I could. I returned to the stand in the afternoon, deciding to take my bow with me this time. After 45 minutes on stand, this girl came walking down the logging road my stand was set up on. She walked right under the stand.

The arrow struck her high & slightly behind the left shoulder. Due to steep angle, the arrow caught both lungs & the heart, exiting low on the right side of the ribs. She ran about 80 yards in a few seconds and went down within sight of the stand.

I was extremely impressed with the performance of the broadheads. I used the Slick Trick Magnum broadhead. They fly extremely well and this is the first deer I've taken with them. Being a 4 bladed / fixed blade head, it was like someone punched a 1&1/8" plug out of the deer, creating large entrance & exit wounds. The arrow completely passed through, from high to low and buried itself 5" into the dirt.

While its "just a doe", I'm quite proud to have had a successful hunt with the bow & arrow. IMHO, any deer taken with a modern day stick & string is a trophy.

Bow: Elite Archery GTO / 65 lbs / 28" DL
    Broadheads: 100 gr. Slick Trick Magnum / Gold Tip Hunter Pro @ 320 fps

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    nice work that is a good eater right there

Feedback Score
    excellent doe .... I love short waiting times Some people love sitting out there all day, but I don't I like to get what I need done and move on!
    "Speak up for those who cannot speak for themselves, for the rights of all who are destitute. Speak up and judge fairly; defend the rights of the poor and needy." Proverbs 31: 8-9
    Arsenal:
    Browning Buckmark -- XDm9c -- XD9SC -- SP101 -- DD Larry Vickers Special Edition
    Looking To Add:
    Possibly an M&P 340 & A PRP Drop In Trigger Kit for the XDm

Feedback Score
    Congratulations. I agree, any deer taken with a bow and arrow is a trophy. I've bowhunted for nearly 30 years and it's a lot of fun.

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark/MO View Post
    Congratulations. I agree, any deer taken with a bow and arrow is a trophy. I've bowhunted for nearly 30 years and it's a lot of fun.
    Agreed. I've been bowhunting for over 20 years. This is the first one I've taken with a bow in a couple of years though. I can't help but feel a greater sense of satisfaction & accomplishment after a successful bowhunt.

Feedback Score
    Nice doe, I love a fast hunt

Feedback Score
    well done