Thread: MSAR STG 556 and the TPD Stey Aug copies

Feedback Score

MSAR STG 556 and the TPD Stey Aug copies

Hey guys. I am new here. I am a die hard AR15 guy and I am thinking about getting one of these.

I like the MSAR since it is out and some of the ergo features are comparable to the AR.

I don't like the propietary mags but it looks like MSAR is good to go in regards to customer service.

The TPD has not been released yet and I am wondering if I should wait for this one.

What does everyone one think of these rifles. I know the TPD is not out yet but your opinions may take me to the right direction.

Thanks

max

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    I've not handled either of the clones, but I've shot and handled original AUG's.

Personally, I'm going to wait until the TPD is released. I much prefer the "original" styling of the TPD, I don't want the AR style f/a, since your cocking handle has one already, and I like the ability to use a universal magazine.
    Employee of colonialshooting.com

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by maxell27 View Post
    Hey guys. I am new here. I am a die hard AR15 guy and I am thinking about getting one of these.

I like the MSAR since it is out and some of the ergo features are comparable to the AR.

I don't like the propietary mags but it looks like MSAR is good to go in regards to customer service.

The TPD has not been released yet and I am wondering if I should wait for this one.

What does everyone one think of these rifles. I know the TPD is not out yet but your opinions may take me to the right direction.

Thanks

max
    Both US companies should be fine except the differences are mainly on what magazine system would you pick, most AUG owners are picking the MSAR STG-556 because the new mags are compatible with the original AUG rifles, except the old Steyr mags can't be used on the STG-556.

The other differences are the MSAR have the forward assist on the left side of the gun similar to the AR and a bolt catch, it also comes with a 1.5X scope.

The TPD AXR's both bolt catch and FA are operated by the charging handle, there's a secondary mag release at the left side of the magwell and it comes with 1.25-4X26 variable optic which are illuminated for low light conditions.

TPD USA are now cutting their receivers and probably would be shipping next month or so.

I have a couple of original Steyr AUG A1, a 16" and a 20", which I got way back before they were banned in 1989.

I might get the AXR first because I have more AR mags than AUG mags and the MSAR mags are more expensive than AR mags.

Here's a link of an older TPD AXR thread for more info.

AXR - The Other AUG Style Rifle Made in the USA - Pics Inside - thread link
    YMMV

AR-15 SP1 owner since 1971
    NRA and CRPA life member