Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Prepping periodicals. . .

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Lightbulb Prepping periodicals. . .

Growing up in the 80's I recall reading a lot of my father's American Survival Guide: The Magazine of Self Reliance issues. Wished I had a mint of copy of those back issues! Now a days I pickup an issue of Backwoods Home magazine from time to time.

The other day I stopped in at Barnes & Nobles to pick up some light reading material for a flight home and stumbled upon American Handgunner's Reality Check: SURVIVE, 2012 issue. I normally pass on the majority of gun rags these days but this particular volume had some useful information. I think it is a great read for anyone who is just starting out in the prepping thing or is on the fence about the life style. Might be a good fire to light under someones ass you know to get them to start their preps.

Just a head's up, I'm glad someone is publishing magazines like this, check it out when your at the news stand next.

Here is a list of the subject matter.
    http://fmgstore.stores.yahoo.net/amharech20sp2.html

And an example of one of the articles.
    http://www.americanhandgunner.com/di...-preparedness/
    Last edited by Moose-Knuckle; 11-07-11 at 04:09.
    "In a nut shell, if it ever goes to Civil War, I'm afraid I'll be in the middle 70%, shooting at both sides" — 26 Inf

"We have to stop demonizing people and realize the biggest terror threat in this country is white men, most of them radicalized to the right, and we have to start doing something about them." — CNN's Don Lemon 10/30/18

Feedback Score
    274 (99%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Moose-Knuckle View Post
    Growing up in the 80's I recall reading a lot of my father's American Survival Guide: The Magazine of Self Reliance issues.
    I have about 5 years, '86 to '91, saved and sealed in bags. That was my favorite magazine ever. I hated to see it go away. It went online for a bit but that just sucked.
    In no way do I make any money from anyone related to the firearms industry.

"I have never heard anyone say after a firefight that I wish that I had not taken so much ammo.", ME

"Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas !", General Sam Houston

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    One will learn far more SHTF information here in the Disaster Preparation and Planning section then in any basic survival rag book.

While the current batch of survival books are basic information at best for beginners most of the information is stale and a paste and click by the author from other sources which the author is not a subject expert.

Now some of those older publications like the American Survival Guide had a lot of real survival experts from the military and civilian trainers who offered fresh ideas for changing times. Its a shame that type of information has faded away as it is more relevant today then ever.
    We are all inclined to judge ourselves by our ideals; others, by their acts.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Is Backwoods Home worth buying and reading?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by docsherm View Post
    I have about 5 years, '86 to '91, saved and sealed in bags. That was my favorite magazine ever. I hated to see it go away. It went online for a bit but that just sucked.
    Yeah, I really liked that publication. It's a damn shame they went under.

Quote Originally Posted by Phila PD View Post
    One will learn far more SHTF information here in the Disaster Preparation and Planning section then in any basic survival rag book.

While the current batch of survival books are basic information at best for beginners most of the information is stale and a paste and click by the author from other sources which the author is not a subject expert.

Now some of those older publications like the American Survival Guide had a lot of real survival experts from the military and civilian trainers who offered fresh ideas for changing times. Its a shame that type of information has faded away as it is more relevant today then ever.
    I agree. Online forums such as M4C are far more educational than 99% of the crap that is being printed these days.

Quote Originally Posted by Irish View Post
    Is Backwoods Home worth buying and reading?
    I would say some articles, yes. See if any stores local to you carry it. I have found it carried by a local Wal-Mart and Barnes & Nobles. I go and read mags on the shelf so I don't have to waste the money on buying them unless there is something really of interest.

Backwoods Home is more of a living off the grid publication than it is a "survival" one, but we all know they go hand in hand.
    Last edited by Moose-Knuckle; 11-07-11 at 18:53. Reason: Can't spell for shit. . .
    "In a nut shell, if it ever goes to Civil War, I'm afraid I'll be in the middle 70%, shooting at both sides" — 26 Inf

"We have to stop demonizing people and realize the biggest terror threat in this country is white men, most of them radicalized to the right, and we have to start doing something about them." — CNN's Don Lemon 10/30/18

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Thumbs up

I picked up SureFire: Combat Tatics Fall 2011 Volume Nine Number Two recently. I know, I know. . .gun rag. But I was pleasantly surprised to find two "prepping" articles in this volume.

Recipe For Disaster: various industry professionals and veterans (Mil & LEO) polled on what they learned to keep in their Go Bags.

What's In Your Trauma Kit?: well, the title says it all.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Came across this one today, SURVIVALIST and thinking about getting the "free issue" to get a feel for it. Always in search of good thrown room reading material!

Feedback Score
    I picked up SureFire: Combat Tatics Fall 2011 Volume Nine Number Two recently. I know, I know. . .gun rag. But I was pleasantly surprised to find two "prepping" articles in this volume.

Recipe For Disaster: various industry professionals and veterans (Mil & LEO) polled on what they learned to keep in their Go Bags.

What's In Your Trauma Kit?: well, the title says it all.
    +1 Yep, got it as well, some good articles worth reading.

Feedback Score
    Came across this one today, SURVIVALIST and thinking about getting the "free issue" to get a feel for it. Always in search of good thrown room reading material!
    I've picked up a few of these whenever I can find them. I believe they are only published quaterly. Some good articles in them, but like most rags I like to review them before I spend $ on them.

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)

Thumbs up

American Survival Guide... now there's some memories. Still got a ton of THOSE from the 1990's.

I discovered Survivalblog.com shortly after J.W. Rawles started it almost 6 years ago. It's MY on-line, go-to resource now.
    - Either you're part of the problem or you're part of the solution or you're just part of the landscape - Sam (Robert DeNiro) in, "Ronin" -

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast