Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Just picked up a Robinson XCR

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by LukeMacGillie View Post
    but my understanding from him was that if your extractor goes bad, you have to send the gun back to the factory for replacement, as it is riveted in to the bolt, and not something that you can replace in the field.

With that info I would never consider it anything more than an evil looking plinker to piss off fudds at the range.

This is actually incorrect on a huge level. Nothing is riveted or permanently affixed to the XCR upper, with nearly every part in the action being field replaceable in the field provided you have a spare part and/or a toolset that can be found at any Wal-Mart. No special armorers tools, work benches, or vices needed

The extractor is a steel plate and held in place by two bolts. Bear in mind, there have never been any reports of a real "broken" XCR extractor. There have been reports of the threaded bolts coming loose, a problem easily fixed with a wrench and over the counter thread locker. Mind you, this is outlined in the manual. It clearly states to inspect your weapon and thread lock anything suspect.

I used loctite on mine before it was even taken in the field. Issues in carbine class: zero. Issues plinking: zero. Breakages: zero

There are few SWAT members on XCRforum who shared pics of their toys under use. It's a perfectly reliable firearm
    Kein Mitleid Für Die Mehrheit
    What Happened to the American dream? It came true. You're looking at it.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by variablebinary View Post
    This is actually incorrect on a huge level. Nothing is riveted or permanently affixed to the XCR upper, with nearly every part in the action being field replaceable in the field provided you have a spare part and/or a toolset that can be found at any Wal-Mart. No special armorers tools, work benches, or vices needed

The extractor is a steel plate and held in place by two bolts. Bear in mind, there have never been any reports of a real "broken" XCR extractor. There have been reports of the threaded bolts coming loose, a problem easily fixed with a wrench and over the counter thread locker. Mind you, this is outlined in the manual. It clearly states to inspect your weapon and thread lock anything suspect.

I used loctite on mine before it was even taken in the field. Issues in carbine class: zero. Issues plinking: zero. Breakages: zero

There are few SWAT members on XCRforum who shared pics of their toys under use. It's a perfectly reliable firearm

I trust what Pat thinks, and it just so happens that they guys who had guns go down are folks that own and or frequent the gun shop in my hometown in Indiana. Sorry, but their word means more to me than 100 forums worth of postings
    Life is too short to deal with Blonde women, or carbine barrels over 10.5 inches

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by variablebinary View Post

Are you sure you're not talking about the ejector?

I'm pretty sure the extractor is on the bolt.
    Chief Armorer for Elite Shooting Sports in Manassas VA
    Chief Armorer for Corp Arms (FFL 07-08/SOT 02)

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by gotm4 View Post
    Are you sure you're not talking about the ejector?

I'm pretty sure the extractor is on the bolt.
    Neither are riveted

It was my understanding from Pat's AAR it was the not the extractor with issues, but the ejector.

I mistyped in speaking about the extractor. I meant the ejector at all times. Sorry for the confusion

Either way, neither are riveted to the Bolt or Upper. I am going to attribute Pat's AAR to operator error because there are precautions outlined in the manual to prevent the bolts that hold the ejector from coming loose. I never had that issue, and like having a weapon that can be serviced in my home without special tools. Its part of why I like Glocks as well

Like most long guns, reading the manual can be very helpful.
    Last edited by variablebinary; 11-25-07 at 15:02. Reason: content correction
    Kein Mitleid Für Die Mehrheit
    What Happened to the American dream? It came true. You're looking at it.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I read Pat's AAR.

He said the ejector was involved in a unplanned self-dissassembly event.

Feedback Score
    Ok I was wrong, it was the ejector that could not handle 1500 rounds without the gun comming apart at the seams.

From this thread:

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=6257

Quote Originally Posted by Pat_Rogers View Post
    EAG conducted a Carbine Operators course at the Boone County IN Sheriffs Range in Lebanon. This is my favorite place to teach for a variety of reasons, and the fact that Ken Campbell is now the Sheriff is just icing on the cake.

The limited number of articles makes it impossible to draw ant conclusions, but I am not sure that introducing a gas piston does not bring another set of problems to the table.
    We had a Robinson XCR in the last class, and it was a marginal performer. We had two in this class. One was a gun that was unable to run in an earlier class (an SBR), and ran fine for a few hours until the shooter had to drop out.
    The second (16”bbl) ran well until TD 3, when it took a major dump. It failed to eject, and when the shooter initiated his IAD, we heard pieces rattling inside the gun, and the ejector fell out.
    When we took the gun apart we found some screw and washers (the ejector is held in with screws). The bolt had destroyed the magazine after the ejector dropped off, and the barrel was in the process of disassembling.
    The owner of the store (actually his son) which sold these guns stated he was finished with these guns and the company.
    Go figure….
    For what it’s worth, he ran an AR- which worked.
    So anyway the ejector is held in with screws, that can come out, very early in the weapons service life. I realize the confusion in my mind came from the question in my mind of why dont they rivet them like an 870?

Anyway enjoy your XCR, and I will enjoy my M1841 Mississippi. Both are rifles that are only hobby guns
    Life is too short to deal with Blonde women, or carbine barrels over 10.5 inches

Feedback Score
    31 (100%)
    gotm4 and Heavy Metal are correct the ejector is bolted inside the monolithic rails and some of the early production guns evidently went out not sufficiently secured. ( lock washers , loctite ) whatever.

I'm certainly not an authority but the unfortunate incident keeps coming up and all; I can say is Robinson became aware of it and resolved the problem.

I think I also heard that Pat said one student was not familiar with the platform so he dropped out. If that's true then he's not too smart to take a class with a new gun. The XCR does require a break-in cycle before it should be considered 100% reliable.

I took my Brand New XCR to the range yesterday and put 200 rounds of Remington UMC 55 grain and Igman 62 grain green tips with not one FTF or FTE.

My opinion is that it's a great Carbine.... what one decides to use it for is personal choice. I'm a gun enthusiast and enjoy all my guns. The XCR's are just two of my weapons. I would love to attend a professional carbine class but if I take my XCR or my AR I would make damn sure everything was in perfect working order ( including ejector screws being tight ) and I was comfortable handling the gun.

That's my experience with the XCR.. I hope it helps
    Tzoid

Texan raised in " The Peoples Republic of Maryland"

"RRA- if they came with a blow job I wouldn't take one." - Pat Rogers

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    my XCR shoots 5.56 ammo that short strokes in my ARs, thats one of the reasons i love mine!

Feedback Score
    Well, I'm almost at 300 rounds now. No problems, but I still haven't made up my mind if I want to keep it. There's nothing wrong with it, it's just not really sparking anything in me.

Feedback Score
    I have had my SBR XCR now for nearly two weeks and in two sessions put around 200 rounds throught it without a single issue. It performed better tham I expected and I have found it to be very well made and easy to use.

I won't be carrying it on duty until I put at least 1000 rounds through it without issue, and hopefully that will be soon.

I have read alot of reports on the XCR and it's always the same one ot two negative reports that keep getting dragged up.

Any weapon system with any numbers out there are going to have negative reports for one reason or another, but I haven't seen any new ones recently.
    "Life's not a rehearsal"

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast