Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Just picked up a Robinson XCR

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    I've found the XCR is a pretty solid rifle, accurate, well built, but not everyone likes the layout. Right now I'm kind of faced with the choice of doing major upgrades to my XCR, or selling it and getting something more my speed.

If I get a replacement, I'll have my smith do a gas piston AR, but it's very wait-and-see with those things right now.

"Life is short, but the years are long." - Robert A. Heinlein

Feedback Score
    I've had my XCR coming up on 18 months and absolutely love it. I have shortened the barrel to 14.7 inches and fixed the FH. This was well worth the $50 and made the gun "feel" a lot shorter.

I like and have tried all of the available stock options and have settled on a CTR on a fixed tube for the past 4 months or so.

I use mine for patrol and SWAT and trust it 100%. It did need the 300 round break in but after that it eats anything and from any mag. I like taking mags that don't work in AR's and watch them work in my XCR.

I've shot it in pouring rain, snow, way below freezing temps, dust, mud, basically anything that Missouri can throw at it without a problem.

I've put a scope on it and passed sniper quals with steel cased Hornady practice ammo and wolf.

Even though I have a pretty early gun, I've not had any problems with anything coming loose. I do keep a wrench for the ejector and the gas nut in my range/cleaning box and check them every couple of months or so. After the first couple thousand rounds the ejector was a little loose, but it still functioned 100%. A couple of torque cycles but no loctite and it has never needed re torquing, but it is an easy check.

I'm sold on the design and the performance and won't carry anything else at work.

I've run it through 1000 round carbine class on several occassions as well as a SWAT training day in which we shot 300 rounds in less than an hour with never a problem.

I did run it for probably 2K rounds, dry, gas on #2 with Wolf ammo and the worst that happened is that it wouldn't lock back on an empty magazine. I added some oil and it was back to 100%.

From chatting with other XCR owners with conversion kits, the early results look very promising. I would imagine that a 6.5 or 6.8 will be in my future.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by aurang View Post
    I've found the XCR is a pretty solid rifle, accurate, well built, but not everyone likes the layout. Right now I'm kind of faced with the choice of doing major upgrades to my XCR, or selling it and getting something more my speed.

If I get a replacement, I'll have my smith do a gas piston AR, but it's very wait-and-see with those things right now.

Very KISS and classy looking pic. Well done
    Kein Mitleid Für Die Mehrheit
    What Happened to the American dream? It came true. You're looking at it.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    What's an XCR go for these days?

I'd like to have a sidefolding CTR and probably would DC it FG...

Do not taunt Happy Fun Ball...

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SuicideHz View Post
    What's an XCR go for these days?

I'd like to have a sidefolding CTR and probably would DC it FG...

$1300-$1500 depending on what sights, stock, and gas system you get on your hands on

Mine was $1349 with gen 1 gas system, hard case, pencil barrel, Ergo rail covers, folding stock and YHM BUIS

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by variablebinary View Post
    Mine was $1349 with gen 1 gas system, hard case, pencil barrel, Ergo rail covers, folding stock and YHM BUIS
    Just being lazy here...but how many generations are there and what are the differences?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Akoni View Post
    Just being lazy here...but how many generations are there and what are the differences?

Gen 2 Gas system = No tools needed to adjust gas system.

Gen 1 Gas system = Requires wrench to adjust gas system.

As far as I know Robinson doesnt sell Gen 1 barrels anymore. All current production XCR's I've seen are Gen 2 so it doesnt matter much anymore. The Gen 2 is all around better, but I had no issue with the Gen 1 either

Feedback Score
    jeremy,

Thanks for your input. Have you visited the XCR Forum?

http://www.xcrfourm.com

Your input over there would be great!
    "Life's not a rehearsal"

Feedback Score
    I post over there as Martens. I screwed up when I registered here. I usually try to use my first name on car boards and my last name on gun boards. I've lurked here for a while and felt it was time to join.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Good to know. I'd prefer to use my KAC sights and skip the YHM stuff... The ergos would get lost in the trash container too- that is unless you are talking Ergo ladders...

I'll have to check out the forums. I'm on the list for the MASADA though and there are other AR15s I'd like to build first...

Do not taunt Happy Fun Ball...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast