Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tritium Front Sight Post.....Anyone using them?

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    I am in the final stages of a build job and I need a couple of opinions from people more experienced than myself.

Is there any merit to using a Tritium front sight post? Is anyone using them?

If so, would you mind tossing me a couple of pros/cons? Which Model are you using?

Thanks in advance for any help. You will have to excuse all of the posts I will be putting up, I have too much time on my hands and the mail man can't get here fast enough with all of these parts.

HSD!

If I was to install one it would be run in a mil-spec front sight tower with a A.R.M.S #40 rear BUIS on a Bushmaster M4.
    Last edited by KevinB; 11-25-07 at 13:21.
    "Lions mustn't concern themselves with the opinions of lambs."

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I merged your question.

I prefer the XS sights Big Dot as far as tritium front sights go -- that said the only times I use these is in the KAC flip down front sight gas blocks I have

- as I prefer to use an optic -- and find in the dark, the glow from the tritum is annoying in an optic - so I put these on the folders that I dont see at night unless I pop them if the optic fails...
    Kevin S. Boland
    Manager, Federal Sales
    FN America, LLC
    Office: 703.288.3500 x181 | Mobile: 407-451-4544 | Fax: 703.288.4505
    www.fnhusa.com

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

Thanks

Thanks for the merge. I got sloppy.

Excellent advice. I took off my modular front sight and opted for a fixed sight tower. I am currently only using iron sights, no optics. Still, I agree completley with your opinion of the annoyance during co-witness.

I hadn't really given that too much thought considering my current set-up.

Thanks!!!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I prefer fixed front sights for most uses -- and with those would recommend an Aimpoint over a trit front sight.
    Kevin S. Boland
    Manager, Federal Sales
    FN America, LLC
    Office: 703.288.3500 x181 | Mobile: 407-451-4544 | Fax: 703.288.4505
    www.fnhusa.com

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

Yup

Aimpoint is next on the list.

Feedback Score
    "as I prefer to use an optic -- and find in the dark, the glow from the tritum is annoying in an optic - so I put these on the folders that I dont see at night unless I pop them if the optic fails..." KevinB

I noticed this yesterday morning before daylight, I could see the dot in my scope if I held it just right. I use a 1.5-5 scope and if I didn't use a LaRue 1.93 mount it would definately be annoying.

Funny I never noticed it when using a light but in the dark there it was...

Feedback Score
    I use Trijicon and Meprolight tritium front posts and rear apetures.
    Both manufacturers use two piece front posts that allow the tritium stripe to be rotated away from the apeture during daylight without affecting weapon zero.
    Trijicon are brighter than Meprolight and offer a longer ten year warranty on the lamp.
    Meprolight offers a five year warranty but I believe they will actually last as long as the Trijicon.

cgdonley Guest
    I have the XS 24/7 front post with stripe on a DPMS AP4 308 and a Patrolmans Bushy. I like them a lot but be aware when zeroing that one full rotation is required to see the insert so you may not be dead on. I just adjust with a very slight hold over. We're only talking about .30"at 50yrds or maybe .70" at 100yrds. The instructions from XS clearly explain this to you. I find the rear sight inserts usless for me and my eyes as they are to close to pick up and not very bright due to theur small size. Just my .02c

Feedback Score
    I've used both the Trijicon and the Meprolite sights. I like the Meprolite better as the Trijicon just seems huge to me. The Meprolite is more like a standard front sight post. I don't like the tritium rear sights. They are VERY distracting to me.

Honestly, they are of minimal value if you are using a light but they do have some merit. I haven't tried the XS sight.

Feedback Score
    I have the XS front tritium stripe also and I guess I got lucky, because it's right on a 50 yds. But yes, it only adjusts in whole rotations. Right after that, though, I put an optic on it so I haven't used them a lot. I have an A1 upper, so the optic is above the front sight and the glow isn't an issue.
    NRA Life, SASS#40701, Glock Advanced Armorer
    Gunsmith for Unique Armament Creations LLC, 07/SOT

VIGILIA PRETIUM LIBERTATIS

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast