Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: M1A accuracy

Feedback Score

Question M1A accuracy

I've been looking into getting a SA M1A for a while now, and I'd like to get one that is as accurate as possible. Springfield doesn't list the out-of-the-box accuracy potential of their rifles, so I'll simplify my question and ask: comparing an M1A Standard, M1A Super Match, and the M21 Tactical, how do they compare in the accuracy department? (Out-of box, and assuming I have paired it with optimal ammunition.) Thanks for the info, all.

Feedback Score
    ive had a loaded and a scout and have been able to keep all shots on a 4" circle at 200 with surplus ball ammo on a good day.

are you going to be shooting irons or mount optics?

also what is your budget looking like? a build may be a better option to get you what you want.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by broylz View Post

are you going to be shooting irons or mount optics?

also what is your budget looking like? a build may be a better option to get you what you want.
    To answer your first question, I am planning on putting an optic on it, although I'm not sure if I want a scope or something like an ACOG.

As for your second, whatever I ultimately decide on, I will save what it costs. I usually wait until tax time to go and buy something, as I take extra out of state and federal every paycheck, so my refund is enough to splurge on a pricey toy. Even if that wasn't the case, I'd rather save up for a high-quality product and wait a bit than settle for what I can afford right now.

Feedback Score
    if i were to save for quality and wanted to scope it, i would get one from LRB arms and not SAI. LRB has a m25 receiver that has a built in scope mounting solution to the original receiver. their stuff is the top notch in m14s.

acogs are usually pretty tall on a M14 as they were designed for flattop AR type weapons. that doesnt mean it cant be done as it has. there is a dpecific mount from SEI or Sadlak - cant remember which, maybe both - that extends rearward further to allow the eye relief on the acog to be correct.

another option would be to get a standard receiver like one from SAI, and then go with something like a Troy battle rail. it extends rearward from the gas block to the rear sight. the Troy rail replaces the rear sight.

If you want to retain irons like i would, i would use a VLTOR rail. this one replaces the top handguard as well but only extends back to the stipper clip guide. VLTOR keeps promising to release one on their own as a newer version and you may be able to call them to get it. the current VLTOR is only offered through SAI custom shop or you can buy it on their SOCOM and a certain Loaded model.

Feedback Score
    Any thoughts on Fulton Armory?

Feedback Score
    Fulton is generally thought of as pretty decent but they have had issues with soft bolts. the second choice to LRB imho would be 762mmfirearms.com

they are a newer copany but seem to have their stuff together now. they offer cheaper cast receivers like SAI and forged like the originals.

the cheapest option if you want forged would be to get a polytech m14s and then eventually replace the bolt in it as they have also had soft bolt issues. you can build it as you can with upgrading to National Match specs. if you want a USGI style.

Feedback Score
    I owned a M1A NM many years ago and while I can't exactly remember what it did for accuracy (although I remember it was NOT sub moa with Fed 168 match, or handloads with 168 SMKs), here are a few things I remember about M1As.

For accuracy, you want a glass bedded model. NM, SM, etc. Not the basic. And don't take the action out of the stock more often than you absolutely have to. It degrades the bedding.

There are many scope mounts avilable, many of which are garbage. Ensure you get a good one.

Any scope you use (apart from a scout type scope) will be very high above the bore, so you want to use a cheekpiece to align your eye with the scope, and you may need to play with it to get it right. I used a lace-on type from Turner saddlery.

M1As are hard on brass. Something to know if you reload.

You'll also want to buy all the extras it takes to properly clean a M1A (bore guide/crown protector, block to keep the bolt locked back, tools to clean the gas cylinder, chamber brush, etc).

Fulton armory and Creedmoor sports are good places to buy M1A stuff.

Good luck
    Last edited by sff70; 11-23-11 at 12:16. Reason: added info

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Miroku View Post
    I've been looking into getting a SA M1A for a while now, and I'd like to get one that is as accurate as possible. Springfield doesn't list the out-of-the-box accuracy potential of their rifles, so I'll simplify my question and ask: comparing an M1A Standard, M1A Super Match, and the M21 Tactical, how do they compare in the accuracy department? (Out-of box, and assuming I have paired it with optimal ammunition.) Thanks for the info, all.
    SA doesn't build with enough precision and consistency to guarantee a set level of accuracy. If you have the budget it's probably a better bet to just buy a receiver, send it out to a known M14 builder, and write a check. If I were buying a factory rifle I'd go with the standard and try hand loading for accuracy. There are some simple accuracy mods you can do on a base level rifle that have the potential to really tighten up your groups without spending $2k or more on a match ready rifle.

Feedback Score
    81 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Miroku View Post
    To answer your first question, I am planning on putting an optic on it, although I'm not sure if I want a scope or something like an ACOG.

As for your second, whatever I ultimately decide on, I will save what it costs. I usually wait until tax time to go and buy something, as I take extra out of state and federal every paycheck, so my refund is enough to splurge on a pricey toy. Even if that wasn't the case, I'd rather save up for a high-quality product and wait a bit than settle for what I can afford right now.
    Scratch the ACOG,, for the M1a,,they just don't seem to fit the rifle that well,,they are a AR thing. A quality Scope will go a Long ways to getting your rds where ya want !! I have a buddy that has a Springer NM,,great rifle,,with Irons,,he can get a Solid 1.5 Inch Group with Quality Ammo,,FGM,,or Reloads with Match bullets !! I also have a NM M1a,,,it is a Fulton with a Krieger Hvy BBL,,great rifle,,,and I have shot a Inch Group and under when I had a scope on it. But the most important thing to remember about a M1a,,is that it is NOT a Bolt Action rifle & you will not (Normally) get Bolt Action accuracy !! My choice would be check out LRB,,great bunch of guys and a quality rifle,,use a Quality BBL and it will go a long ways in getting what ya want !! Here is another Top Shelf M1a guy to check out,,Jon Wolfe,,awesome guy,,he has desaigned his own Barrels and is a Top Notch Rifle Smith,,ya really can't go wrong. Get a hold of him and see what he can do for ya,,it would probably be a faster turn around time than LRB,,they are great,,,but normally waaaaaay behind !! Here is a link to Jons website,,http://www.shop.m-14parts.com/Wolfe-...-185-WMMWF.htm Keep me posted on how ya make out !!!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I have an ACOG TA-33 3 x 30) on my M1A rifle. Used the SEI mount with the trough specifically intended for them, which lowers the optic considerably. There is still a need for a cheek piece to raise my head about 3/8" of an inch; if I do any more I will probably put a Karsten kydex riser on it.

I am very happy with an ACOG on my M4gery, although it is a 1.5X compact on the handle. I am much less certain that it is right for me on the M1A. Another major aspect for me is that while the the scope mount and ACOG only add about one pound to the weapon, the total weight loaded with sling comes out to a bit over thirteen pounds. It feels like a BAR now, and is NOT handy any more.

I think the M1A is a great rifle with irons if you have the eyesight to pull it off. I don't any more. Putting glass on it makes the rifle into something else (unless it only gets shot off a bench, which to me is not real shooting).

My next move will probably be to downsize to a good basic bolt rifle in .30 caliber with an old K6 Weaver, and to put a bipod up front. That will put the total loaded weight to around 8 1/2 pounds and give me an optic more suited to the .30 caliber than the 3X ACOG.

30 years ago I would just hump the hefty M1A and call it good. Now I cheat every chance I get...

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast