Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 930 SPX review

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    If I had to guess I would put total rounds at about 1000-1200.
    A lot of that was old game and trap loads, which provided the only malf I have experienced. I think it was an old WalMart value pack #6 or 7 low brass. Gave me a stovepipe. Operated the bolt and it was back in action.
    Of the buckshot, most has been Fed Tac 9 pellet. It is very smooth with this and the Remington RR loadings. Full power #4, 00, and 000 from Federal and Remington function fine. I had a few rounds of #1, but all I can really say about them is that they functioned. Best pattern right now seems to be the 9 pellet Fed Tac, but I really want to try some of the 8 pellet as I hear it will make non-Vang barrels shoot like they've been Vang comped. Remington 00 is the best of the full power buck I have shot.
    For slugs I ran some of the Remington RR slugs, Brenneke Rottweil and KO slugs, and some Winchester 3" slugs. All of these ran well. The 3" Winny was noticeably more robust. There was little difference in the 2.75" slugs whether RR or full powered. I also want to try some of the Tru Ball slugs.
    Death hangs over thee: whilst yet thou livest, whilst thou mayest, be good.

Feedback Score
    Thank you for your excellent report and review. Now I just need to find one to buy at a price I like.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    what kind of prices are you guys finding these for? and where? best i've found so far is in the 575 range out the door...

thanks!

Feedback Score
    m24shooter, I hope you don't mind. I posted this in DMR's thread on TOS.

*****Posted on "TOS"*****

I hope you don't mind me posting a range session I had with the 930 toady. I purchased a New In The Box 930SPX at the local CopShop (GT Distirbutors in Rossville, Ga) yesterday and decided that after reading your post that I would try and see how this little Mossberg would do.

Went by the Wally World to buy some cheap shells (100 round Federal Value Pack), 15 round of Remington Sluggers, and some left over Winchester #7 and 1/2 birdshot from the last 3 Gun Match. 158 Rounds Total.

Got set up at the range threw some CLP on the bolt and loaded 8 rounds in the gun. Settled in behind the sights and found the Fiber-Optic front sight easy to pick up (nice and bright, even in the last few hours of the day), but the rear LPA Ghost Ring seemed to fad away, it could be a little thicker. A good sight picture was still possible. I fired off the first 8 rounds fairly quick at 7 yards (Fairly quick? Had to call myself on this one, the 930 was as fast as any Benelli M1 I've ever fired.). The 930 was very manageable, the recoil was no more than 11-87's that I have fired in the past and actually less brutal than the Benelli. Functioned perfectly. The IDPA Target that I used didn't stand a chance and was blown out of the plastic push stand with the first round.

I loaded up some Remington 2 and 3/4" Sluggers and tried to print a group at 25 yards. With a fresh target installed I had a nice little 2" group and had to adjust down and to the left. The full powered Slugs functioned great with a small amount more recoil than the birdshot. But then again, I weigh 270, may not be the same for some of the more leaner folks out there.

My 17 year old Son had a little bit of trouble shooting with the birdshot. He was not providing a good enough base for the shotgun to function properly and he encountered a few Failures to Extract. I told him to tighten up on the gun since we were shooting the lighter game loads. Problem solved. We resumed Blasting!

We would let the 930 take a break from time to time and do some pistol and carbine work. Then I thought I would see how this thing react to a constant (as much as possible) rate of fire. So we set out 40 round of the birdshot and loaded up 8 rounds in the gun, with the remaining 32 on the table. I started firing the first 8 and on the last round had a FTE. I loaded the rest of the shells, requiring 4 other strings of fire, as fast as I could and kept the 930 running. Oh, and yes, it was HOT! I feel that if I had been firing buckshot or slugs (standard velocity) for this test, I would not have had the Extraction Failure.

All in all. I am impressed. I would have never thought I would be saying this about a Mossberg.

If the tactical accessory manufactures would get behind this Shotgun and create a support base of necessary Add-On's, we could have a well put together, Auto-Loading Patrol Shotty/ HD Platform for a reasonable price.

Just My .02

Just a little back ground on myself. I have been doing LE Work for the last 17 years as a patrolman in Tennessee as a Firearms Instructor and Sniper and now in Georgia. I have always been a Remington/Benelli guy when it came to Shotguns. Well my opinion has changed some what after today. Not saying I am totally throwing out the Remmy or Benelli, but the 930 has alot of potential.

Besides, and most important thing is I got to spend the afternoon with my Son, who's been shooting with me since he was 3 years old, enjoying and sharing a sport that has been a part of my life for over 30 years. And hopefully, one day, he will be able to do the same thing with his Son.

Take Care and Stay Safe

Duane

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Fun read m24shooter and popodaman, I have had a hook in me for a new shotgun and the 930 is starting to look really nice. It's coming down to a 4417 (870 police), M1 super 90, or this 930 SPX. The SPX is starting to win me over. I wish I could shoot one to help me make my decision.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by popodaman View Post
    m24shooter, I hope you don't mind. I posted this in DMR's thread on TOS.
    No prob. I've got the same review up on TOS, and review that I keep up to date is over at WEVO.
    Death hangs over thee: whilst yet thou livest, whilst thou mayest, be good.

Feedback Score
    Brilliant .
    Last edited by Marubahoppie; 04-29-10 at 21:46.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12