Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Opening Day duck with my son.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by B Cart View Post
    Nice greenheads! I do alot of waterfowl hunting here in Utah, and your pics made me want to ditch work and head to the marsh I'll have to post some pics one of these days. Keep up the good work!
    I hear there is some pretty good waterfowling around the Salt Lake area?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Watrdawg View Post
    Justice, my dog, had a great time. He is bonkers for birds. He hates to train but when it comes to running Hunt Tests and hunting he goes crazy. He was a bit rusty the first couple of birds. The first 2 were cripples and had swam off into some willow thickets. He went in after them and came out quickly without the birds. I had to give him hand signals and cast him back into the thickets 4-5 times. He finally started working things out and came back with the birds. We had a few more cripples afterwards that he dug out of the thick stuff pretty quickly. All in all he did pretty good work opening day. We didn't lose a single bird.
    That's awesome. I've only hunted over dogs (upland birds) a few times, but half the fun is watching them work.
    I'm an FFL/gunsmith, not the holster company. We specialize in subsonic ammunition and wholesale rifles.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Working my dog is the best part for me. There are quite a few times when I will tell everyone that I'm going to just work my dog and they can cover the birds. He and I work very well together. There are times when all I have to do is take the birds from him when he comes in. He'll mark 3,4 or 5 birds sometimes and and picks them up one after the other. We will work Pheasant tower shoots during the year and he's non stop. He's made close to 200 retrieves at times and is still ready to go. Once he's done with a big shoot like that he sleeps hard.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Taking the afternoon off Thursday and heading to the marsh again. We'll see what happens.

Feedback Score
    Great opening day story and pics.

Being from Florida I have been somewhat limited to duck hunting. Wood ducks and Teal mostly.

I used to have a Lab that would give you the dirtiest look if you missed a shot. It really made you a better shot, no one wanted to get that look.

KevinC

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Awesome story and pics. My Belgian Malinois would eat the birds on sight, no questions asked

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by KevinC View Post
    Great opening day story and pics.

Being from Florida I have been somewhat limited to duck hunting. Wood ducks and Teal mostly.

I used to have a Lab that would give you the dirtiest look if you missed a shot. It really made you a better shot, no one wanted to get that look.

KevinC
    It is truly a magnificent sight to watch a primo duck dog working the marshes, just simply awesome cross between a long distance runner, a sprinter, an ATV, an airboat, a go-devil with a nose, a heart and a mind to never come back empty handed.

Here in Florida, gators are an ever present danger so have to wait until it gets really cold out....

Feedback Score
    Enjoyed the story and pics, I had similar results with my 12 year old boy this opening weekend. Had a mallard, gadwall, and 10 teal (blue and greenwing). It's a joy to see the smile on a young childs face who enjoys the outdoors.

Our local Sheriff has a bumper sticker out "Kids who hunt and fish Don't Steal or Deal." Keep up the good work Waterdawg

Bill

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by M4A34U View Post
    Enjoyed the story and pics, I had similar results with my 12 year old boy this opening weekend. Had a mallard, gadwall, and 10 teal (blue and greenwing). It's a joy to see the smile on a young childs face who enjoys the outdoors.

Our local Sheriff has a bumper sticker out "Kids who hunt and fish Don't Steal or Deal." Keep up the good work Waterdawg

Bill
    Congrats on your shoot Bill. Teal are great eating birds.

I'm taking my son and his best buddy this coming weekend. His buddy is my God Son. His dad was killed during Operation Anaconda so I've tried to take him with us as much as possible when we hunt. We all get to hunt together 8-10 times a year and have a blast. Those 2 boys are about inseperable. They've even made plans to go to West Point together. They keep going the way they are and it very well could happen.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Watrdawg View Post
    Congrats on your shoot Bill. Teal are great eating birds.

I'm taking my son and his best buddy this coming weekend. His buddy is my God Son. His dad was killed during Operation Anaconda so I've tried to take him with us as much as possible when we hunt. We all get to hunt together 8-10 times a year and have a blast. Those 2 boys are about inseperable. They've even made plans to go to West Point together. They keep going the way they are and it very well could happen.

my hat is off you sir....
    Charles Coker

Disclosure statement:
    Pro Staff - Silencer Shop
    Dealer - Armasight and Steiner Optics
    Affiliated with Trijicon, Wilson Combat and Crux Suppressors

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast