Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: AAR Jason Falla/RB1 2-Day Tactical Carbine, Nov 8-9, 2011 - Castro Valley, CA

Feedback Score

AAR Jason Falla/RB1 2-Day Tactical Carbine, Nov 8-9, 2011 - Castro Valley, CA

Jason Falla came to the SF Bay Area for a 2-day “Tactical Carbine” class last week at the Chabot gun club. As many may already know, Mr. Falla is a combat veteran hailing from the Australian SAS. Unlike their U.S. military counterparts, the Australian SAS has both land, as well as maritime counterterrorism duties, along with being responsible for responding to domestic counterterrorism incidents (imagine an amalgamation of SFOD-D, DEVGRU, and FBI HRT). Following his military service, Mr. Falla worked as an instructor with Blackwater and has recently started his own company, Redback One ( http://www.redbackone.com/). He has helped developed equipment for SORD USA ( http://www.sordusa.com/home.php ) and has also designed a nice series of training targets for RB1 (http://www.redbackone.com/#!proshop).

I apologize ahead of time for any minor discrepancies in my description of the drills conducted, as I may have inadvertently switched the order around.

The class started off quite slowly, with about two hours of what were designed to be well organized Powerpoint briefings. Unfortunately, the Chabot range does not have the requisite classroom facilities for such electronic assisted instruction, so these presentations lacked the impact that they would otherwise have had. Given the infrastructure deficits, it might have been better if this instruction had been broken up into several shorter blocks that could have been presented more informally on breaks between shooting evolutions.

Following the didactic instruction, the class commenced with zeroing for 60 minutes or so. (hint—if you are going to go to a shooting class, be sure to bring a weapon that has a confirmed zero) Mr. Falla strongly suggested that everyone ensure their rifles (all AR15 variants) were properly LUBRICATED before beginning shooting. Jason recommends a 200m zero; using the RB1 zero target, we began prone using a mag rest at 25 meters and then moved back to 50m and 100m; unfortunately range limitations prevented a true 200m zero confirmation. RB1 prone slow-fire marksmanship standards are as follows:

25m - 5 round group (1")
    50m - 10 round group (2")
    100m - 10 rounds group (4")

In addition to a G17 w/RMR,

I ran a Colt lower with an MSTN built upper using a 16” 1/7 twist Noveske chrome lined barrel, Aimpoint M3 and 3x magnifier in LaRue mounts, LaRue 12” FF rail, BFG VCAS adj 2 pt sling, along with a mix of PMAGS and USGI mags w/Magpul followers. Ammo was a mix of 500 rounds each of 55 gr Win Q4341 and Win 64 gr RA223R2 JSP, along with 100 rounds of Speer 64 gr Gold Dot JSP I used for zeroing. My rifle ran perfectly with Gold Dot and FMJ, but after several mags of the Win 64 gr JSP, I would begin to get strange malfunctions, primarily failures to feed. As soon as I switched back to 55 gr FMJ the problems would cease. Over the years, I’ve seen these same issues in many different AR15’s during higher round count training evolutions when the CA State contract RA223R2 JSP ammo with exposed lead tip is used.

Jason then discussed various shooting positions and when they might effectively be utilized, along with how best to move quickly while carrying a carbine—muzzle up, butt stock tucked under strong side arm. The class then spent an hour or so working on these skills while shooting at distances from 7-100 yds.

A combat marksmanship standards test was then conducted using the 8” circle and 6” head box of an RB1 silhouette target (IDPA target can also be used): http://www.facebook.com/notes/redbac...23198381023776.

At 7 yds:
    -- 1 rd to body from low ready w/in 0.75s, preferably under 0.5s.
    -- 1 rd to body from high ready w/in 1.15s, preferably under 0.9s.
    -- 2 rds to body & 1 rd to head from high ready w/in 2.5s, preferably under 2s.
    -- 6 rds to body from low ready w/in 2s, preferably under 1.6s.
    -- 6 rds to head from high ready w/in 3.5s, preferably under 2.5s.
    -- 1 rd to body & 1 rd to head from low ready w/in 1.25s, preferably under 1s.
    -- 1 rd to body from low ready, transition to pistol for 1 rd w/in 3.5s, preferably under 2.5s.
    -- 1 rd to body from low ready, reload & 1 rd w/in 6s, preferably under 4s.
    -- 1 rd to body from low ready, reload & 1 rd, followed by transition to pistol for 1 rd w/in 10s, preferably under 8s.
    -- 10 rds to body from high ready, reload & 10 rds w/in 11s, preferably under 8s.

At 15 yds:
    -- 2 rds to body, transition to pistol for 2 rds to body w/in 8s, preferably under 6s.
    -- 2 rds to body, transition to pistol for 2 rds to body while moving from 15m to 5 m all w/in 8s, preferably under 6s.

At 25 yds:
    -- 2 rds to body shooting on strong side from low ready then 2 rds shooting on weak side all w/in 8s, preferably under 6s.
    -- -- 6 rds to body from standing, reload & 6 rds from kneeling w/in 25s, preferably under 20s.

After a break the class Jason covered a variety of ready positions, including both low and high ready, along with high port. He is definitely a fan of the high ready position, especially when confronting crowds or while in a stack. Jason uses a SORD adj 2-point sling, but spends a lot of time with the sling just draped over his neck, arm out, to allow more flexibility in movement. Using the RB1 01 target, a variety of close range drills emphasizing both speed and precision on single and multiple targets were run from different ready positions with Jason imparting the need to change shooting cadence depending on the degree of precision each shot required.

Transition drills were conducted next.

This included an exciting moment when a Federal Agent’s issued 3rd gen G22 suffered a catastrophic failure and kaboomed apart in his hand while firing issue 165 gr factory ammo. The agent is a trained Glock armorer and has properly replaced all springs as recommended by Glock over the previous 40,000 rounds of factory ammo fired by the pistol. Jason took this moment to expound on why he feels .40 S&W is a poor caliber choice, especially with Glocks.

Carbine reloading techniques were reviewed and practiced, followed by a series of drills to aid in recoil management and increase shooting speed while maintaining acceptable accuracy. Trigger stall was discussed and addressed with a nice series of drills, similar to those used by Kyle Defoor. Jason’s weapon manipulations were similar to those espoused by other military instructors coming from a Tier One background. He uses an aggressive bladed fighting stance with the weak hand extended far forward on the FF rail. He describes his simplified weapons manipulation scheme as having three basic positions—strong hand palm up (reloading), palm down (systems check and initiating malfunction clearance), and palm neutral (shooting).

Jason then covered his simple methods for dealing with failure to fire situations and stoppage clearances and had the class practice rectifying a variety of malfunctions. He also demonstrated the utility of the Leatherman “MUT” tool, along with why carrying a sectional cleaning rod is a good idea.

The day ended with a block of instruction on penetrating trauma hemorrhage control, including tourniquet usage, hemostatic agent application, gauze packing, and bandage use—very useful for folks who actually intend on carrying a weapon into harms way.

The second day had a much faster pace of instruction. A series of timed drills working on high and low percentage targets were conducted using the RB1 02 target. Jason also began drills incorporating shooting while moving. For a difficult low percentage shot, he recommends stopping and potentially getting into a more stable shooting position before breaking the shot. During this series of drills, Jason allowed some shooters to move ahead of others on the firing line; for shooters unfamiliar with this type of training it could appear unsafe, however if all shooters STAY IN THEIR LANE and maintain muzzle and situational awareness, there are no problems. Jason managed the firing line well and when a safety issue cropped up with one shooter, Jason quickly pulled him off the line for a cooling off period and discussion on safety.

Shooting from cover and support side shooting were addressed, with a variety of practice events and timed drills performed. Unfortunately, the Chabot facility does not have dedicated structures for practicing shooting behind cover, so these had to improvised using upturned shooting benches. Up next were large scale tactical movement drills, where multiple shooters had to seek cover, fire shots at steel targets, and quickly move both laterally, as well as forward and backwards—bounding and leap-frogging through a series of additional cover positions. Some of this involved shooters moving ahead of the firing line; again, as long as each shooter remains cognizant of their sector of fire and maintains good situational awareness, this is a valuable skill to practice for military and LE personnel—especially since over half the class members were serving in LE. Jason did quickly identify and stop one potential safety violation by a shooter and used it as a teachable moment for the entire class.

Turns were next discussed and practiced. Instead of using a pivot turn like many instructors, Jason teaches what he describes as a “power turn”; this involves rapidly rotating the hips toward the target much like a figure skater or dancer does, with the opposite side leg shifting out into a wider stance.

A repeat of the timed CMST was the last item scheduled to be run before the class ended, unfortunately I missed that evolution, as I had to return to the hospital for an emergency surgery.

During the class, Jason recommended acquiring quality equipment proven in military combat use and avoid cheaper, unproven gear aimed at the civilian market. He likes good quality DI AR15 carbines (preferably with 10-12” FF rails), specifically recommending both Colt and KAC and stated the only AR15 style piston rifle he has seen work well is the HK416. Jason prefers a longer 14.5-16” barrel and only recommended SBR’s for permissive entry work where teammates have cordoned off the hit area and fully control the perimeter. He is a strong proponent of Aimpoints since they are effective and reliable, while in his experience RDS from other manufacturers tend to break at inopportune times. During the class, Jason used a 14.5” HK416 upper w/perm mounted flash-hider to comply with the NFA, along with an Aimpoint T1 on a RRA lower. Interestingly, he strongly dislikes PMAGS and recommends loading 28 rds into standard aluminum milspec mags; during the class he was using HK steel mags and stated contrary to popular opinion, they have worked well for him. Jason was using a G17, preferring 9mm Glocks for their simplicity and reliability, but stated HK pistols also worked well when he used them overseas. The SORD kit he was wearing was quite impressive in its build quality and functionality.

Round counts were as advertised; I fired approximately 1000 rounds of rifle and 250 rounds of pistol. This was essentially an intermediate level course that required some prior knowledge and skill with both rifle and pistol. It is unfortunate that the facility limitations prevented a full exposure to the RB1 curriculum; before making a final judgment on RB1, I would like to experience Mr. Falla teaching at a facility that has adequate classrooms, longer range capabilities, dedicated barriers, and perhaps a shoot house. Based on the teaching style I suspect RB1 would be a good choice for LE agencies and military organizations looking for group training opportunities.

Feedback Score

AAR:Jason Falla (REDBACK ONE) 2-Day Tactical Carbine - Nov 8-9, 2011 - Castro Valley,

i'm not really doing an AAR for i just took pictures during the class but all i can say it's a great class. Some students who are members of M4C will chime in to do an actual AAR of the class.

i'm not done yet processing all the pictures hopefully it will be all done in the next coming days..

Last edited by SKULL1; 11-15-11 at 07:36.

Feedback Score

Feedback Score

Feedback Score

Feedback Score
    more on this link and more pictures to be uploaded on my flikr..

http://www.flickr.com/photos/316phot...7628089728564/

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Great AAR, Doc. I gotta ask you a question.

You wrote:
    Quote Originally Posted by DocGKR View Post
    Ammo was a mix of 500 rounds each of 55 gr Win Q4341 and Win 64 gr RA223R2 JSP, along with 100 rounds of Speer 64 gr Gold Dot JSP I used for zeroing. My rifle ran perfectly with Gold Dot and FMJ, but after several mags of the Win 64 gr JSP, I would begin to get strange malfunctions, primarily failures to feed. As soon as I switched back to 55 gr FMJ the problems would cease. Over the years, I’ve seen these same issues in many different AR15’s during higher round count training evolutions when the CA State contract RA223R2 JSP ammo with exposed lead tip is used.
    Given these issues that you encountered with SPs, does this effect your recommendation of them among your barrier blind loads for the AR?

thanks

Feedback Score
    The Win 64 gr Powerpoint JSP was a good load in 1990, but technology has moved on. RA223R2 is inexpensive on the CA state contract, but is not a barrier blind load and in fact performed pathetically in the Oakland CHP shooting incident last year. Most of the newer barrier blind loads (TBBC, Win Bonded, CLUB, Gold Dot) are bonded and have much less lead exposed at the tip than older JSP designs like the Win PP. For example, we have not seen the same functional problems with the 64 gr Gold Dots as with the 64 gr RA223R2.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    It looks like Jason has his T-1 mounted on a LaRue 5/8" riser. Is this just to clear the DBAL, or are there additional benefits to pushing the RDS up higher? I'd assume his ability to co-witness iron sights is gone...
    Scout Rider for the Mongol Hordes

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by caporider View Post
    It looks like Jason has his T-1 mounted on a LaRue 5/8" riser. Is this just to clear the DBAL, or are there additional benefits to pushing the RDS up higher? I'd assume his ability to co-witness iron sights is gone...
    I thought it might be appropriate to respond to this question.

The purpose of the riser is not to clear the DBAL, there is enough clearance with the standard high mount for the Aimpoint T1 Micro. The true purpose for this riser is to increase speed getting onto the sight. By raising the sight I do not need to get as deep onto the stock as with standard mounts. This also allows me to adopt a more comfortable upright shooting position that can be sustained for longer periods. (Think clearing large structures during an assault).

This set up must be used in conjunction with an excellent recoil management strategy, something that we instill in all of our students. An aggressive combative posture that allows cross over to deliver a non-kinetic force option or a kinetic one. This combined with our advanced grip allows the shooter to take advantage of the higher sight position and ease back on the aggressive cheek weld. (This technique was confirmed during this class when I shot a 1.27 second 6 round cadence drill from 7 yards and maintained a 4 inch group.)

With the weapon set up in this fashion, you can bury the butt-stock deep and low in the shoulder pocket, keeping plenty of body weight over the top of the gun, minimizing fulcrum and maximizing recoil management.

Additional benefits allow the shooter to don a gas mask and maintain good sight picture as apposed to struggling with canting the weapon or simply point shoot!

There is adequate space on the riser to mount ancillary equipment such as 3x magnifiers or UNS NVDs should you need to mount them.

I have been to combat several times and have operated in some of the most severe conditions on the planet and I have never had my Aimpoint 'go down'! However, if an unforeseen event should take place such as having the sight take a round or damage due to a fall or similar, the option still exists to clear the optic by removing the riser plate using the QD levers.

I hope this has cleared this question up. If you need any further information please contact me.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast